PDA

View Full Version : Gasoline Mines. What Classification?

displayfireworks1
08-11-2019, 08:03 PM
For those following my video from years back, you may remember a fireworks enthusiast traveling from Ohio to Kellners open shoot to give me a gasoline fire ball mortar. He sent me an update email. He is working in professional display fireworks and incorporating the gas mines in displays. You can see them in this video. Of course the State of Ohio where he is located is looking to place the correct classification on these devices. Are they special effects, flame effects or even pyrotechnics at all?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIGSaoCdTDU

Mattp
08-12-2019, 09:59 AM
Man those are so cool.. i would think they fall into the special fx category... i was watching a behind the scenes mini doc and for an explosion scene in a tv show they used gasoline inside a plastic gallon jug (looked like a milk container) .. and then put that inside the mortar with a charge.. i like that idea.. seems like a better way then pouring the gas directly into the mortar

displayfireworks1
08-12-2019, 12:41 PM
It does sound safer. All we need to do is find where to supply the empty cartridges.

PyroManiacs
08-12-2019, 11:40 PM
In Philly, the FM wants an additional permit for them.

Mattp
08-13-2019, 11:49 AM
i would think so.. its not an already regulated product... its literally blowing up gasoline out of a tube... they dont want anybody just going and doing this... you see all the stupid stuff people do with consumer fireworks.. imagine those going off in front of someones house...and/or not the right ratio of BP...they'll set a whole neighborhood on fire

topshelfpyro
08-13-2019, 06:01 PM
Man those are so cool.. i would think they fall into the special fx category... i was watching a behind the scenes mini doc and for an explosion scene in a tv show they used gasoline inside a plastic gallon jug (looked like a milk container) .. and then put that inside the mortar with a charge.. i like that idea.. seems like a better way then pouring the gas directly into the mortar

I saw something similar.....but they used a 55 gal steel drum with the fuel in a milk jug and detonated it with a blasting cap I believe it was

Rick_In_Tampa
08-18-2019, 08:51 PM
At PGI last week they filmed a car blowing up for an upcoming movie. First they blew the doors off. They put them back on then they blew the doors and trunk lid off. The second time they had a steel tub shaped like a fan cake behind the car. They filled it with 20 gallons of gas and set it off along with a large salute. Made one hell of a fireball and damn near set my pants on fire! (I was in a golf cart way too close!)

During one of the large shows (on Monday I believe) they set off what they said was the largest gas bomb ever created at a fireworks show. I believe they said it has 1200 gallons of gasoline, 100lbs of black powder, and a bunch of salutes. It was quite impressive.

Chubbles
08-18-2019, 09:08 PM
Didn't I see that on Mythbusters?