PDA

View Full Version : Mailed Application Today & Have A Couple of Questions

IndianaPH
07-29-2019, 03:49 PM
Good Afternoon All-

I completed my application over the weekend and it is now up to the USPS to get it to its destination. I have had the application 99% complete for a while, but was waiting on finishing it until I had my Type IV magazine complete. I know the general consensus right now is to get your approval with contingency and then get your magazine approved, but I wanted to go ahead an get a magazine approved. I found a Ridgid 60R-OS at my local big box store and used Herculiner as a non-sparking material to coat the inside. I did replace the plastic hole plugs in the bottom with steel plugs before I coated the inside of the box.

Here is my magazine:

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4331&stc=1

Here is an example of the hole plugs I used:

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4332&stc=1

I do have a couple of questions, in preparation of my interview, that I haven't been able to find definitive answers to by searching the forum. Does anyone have answers to the following:

1. General consensus seems to be that there are no distance requirements for indoor magazines. Can someone please point me to the code in the Orange Book that states this? Is the answer that there are there no distance requirements for it because it is not listed in the book?

2. I know that e-matches are required to be stored in a magazine, but can they be stored in a Type IV magazine with 1.3 fireworks? Are e-matches considered detonators? This question stems from:
555.210 Construction of type 4 magazines.
(b) Indoor magazine?
(1) General. Indoor magazines are to be fire-resistant and theft-resistant. They need not be weather-resistant if the buildings in which they are stored provide protection from the weather. No indoor magazine is to be located in a residence or dwelling. The indoor storage of low explosives must not exceed a quantity of 50 pounds. More than one indoor magazine may be located in the same building if the total quantity of explosive materials stored does not exceed 50 pounds. Detonators that will not mass detonate must be stored in a separate magazine and the total number of electric detonators must not exceed 5,000.

Thank you in advance for your help on these questions and your help getting me to this point!!!

cherrybomb1
07-29-2019, 07:54 PM
I can’t tell you right where it’s at in the orange book but my interview was a little over a year ago and I can tell you what the inspector told me.Your fine with the interior coating(nice job)there’s no distance requirements but it cannot be in a attached garage...50lb max per job box only1 job box per shed...ematch has to be stored in its own job box.They determine the weight by composition weight which will be on your bill of lading when you buy 1.3 product.25%weight of cakes and 50% for shells if I remember correctly.The interview is not bad at all,nothing to loose sleep over! Good luck

IndianaPH
07-30-2019, 08:46 AM
I can’t tell you right where it’s at in the orange book but my interview was a little over a year ago and I can tell you what the inspector told me.Your fine with the interior coating(nice job)there’s no distance requirements but it cannot be in a attached garage...50lb max per job box only1 job box per shed...ematch has to be stored in its own job box.They determine the weight by composition weight which will be on your bill of lading when you buy 1.3 product.25%weight of cakes and 50% for shells if I remember correctly.The interview is not bad at all,nothing to loose sleep over! Good luck

cherrybomb1-

Thanks for the reply and the information. My magazine is in a detached building, so I should be good. The way I read it, (555.210 (b)(1) on page 52) is that more than one indoor magazine can be located in the same building, as long as the total weight of explosive weight in the building does not exceed 50 pounds. So, I believe that I could build another magazine, if needed, just for e-matches. I'm not worried about the inspection, just want to have as much information as possible in case questions come up.

Thanks again!!