PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Big Time Pyro racks

Pyro_
07-25-2019, 02:18 PM
Just wondering if anyone has used any of the big time pyro bare single shot racks and if yes what you thought of them? Considering picking one up for use with single shot mortars and barages that we get up here in Canada

esgrillo
07-25-2019, 03:31 PM
Just wondering if anyone has used any of the big time pyro bare single shot racks and if yes what you thought of them? Considering picking one up for use with single shot mortars and barages that we get up here in Canada

I bought and used 5 this year. They are great.

The good:
- Will fit just about any size comet / mine you have even the new 3" ones
- Noodle free
- Fold flat
- Easy to mount cobra slats to them... I fabricated the mounting brackets myself

Maybe not good?
- Need zip ties to secure... not bad for me... I use lot of zip ties anyway.
- Need to secure every item as opposed to some comets/mines that are a perfect fit for square tube racks
- Assembly required

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4312&stc=1
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4313&stc=1
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4314&stc=1

Pyro_
07-25-2019, 04:35 PM
How well do they stay when you put them at an angle.

esgrillo
07-25-2019, 04:55 PM
How well do they stay when you put them at an angle.

Good, I had some at a 60 degree and they were fine. They have a similar method as the tube racks to lock the angle

Jay_
07-25-2019, 06:08 PM
Do they have the degree scales built in?

Deanbc
07-25-2019, 07:43 PM
I own 6, 4 twenty shot and 2 thirty shot racks. As Ed mentions earlier, they are good racks with lots of versatility. You can shoot everything from 30MM to 76MM just fastening them with zip ties. I also like the fact that the6 fold practically flat for easy stackable storage. I will probably buy more for next year.

Jay_
07-25-2019, 08:42 PM
After looking at the site and the prices, I’ll be picking up several.

I would assume that you could probably tie more than on comet, tube, etc..to each piece of angle iron and have double the capacity if you chose to do so.

These are pretty slick

cptnding
07-25-2019, 08:45 PM
Good, I had some at a 60 degree and they were fine. They have a similar method as the tube racks to lock the angle

Ed,
Have you tried them with 62mm single shot shells? I guess I would question weather they would hold up to the recoil of those and not send the whole rack flying with an angled shot. Might not be enough support for the bottom of the tube either. I used to have a rack that was too tight and had a couple that were not seated all the way blow out the bottom plug and break about 40' up. Looked pretty good but don't think I would want to try it again lol.

Deanbc
07-26-2019, 12:32 AM
Ed,
Have you tried them with 62mm single shot shells? I guess I would question weather they would hold up to the recoil of those and not send the whole rack flying with an angled shot. Might not be enough support for the bottom of the tube either. I used to have a rack that was too tight and had a couple that were not seated all the way blow out the bottom plug and break about 40' up. Looked pretty good but don't think I would want to try it again lol.
I fired 42 of the 62MM single Dominator and S76 Nishiki Kamauro’s and the racks held up just fine. I taped my racks down onto my shooting boards using 3 inch Gorilla tape, they never moved.

cptnding
07-26-2019, 12:47 AM
I fired 42 of the 62MM single Dominator and S76 Nishiki Kamauro’s and the racks held up just fine. I taped my racks down onto my shooting boards using 3 inch Gorilla tape, they never moved.

Good to know. Thanks Deanbc. Did you fire at angles or all straight up?
I have a couple of racks for these but adjustable angles would be nice.

esgrillo
07-26-2019, 01:36 AM
Ed,

I honestly would not and was advised not to so by another enthusiast I respect a lot. I am sure as dean said in most cases it should be fine but the recoil on those devices is a lot more than a comet or mine. I prefer to make traditional wood racks for those devices. There is only a very small area of bottom support as well. Just my opinion and not questioning dean in any way.

Deanbc
07-26-2019, 07:45 AM
Good to know. Thanks Deanbc. Did you fire at angles or all straight up?
I have a couple of racks for these but adjustable angles would be nice.

Yes about 30 were angle shots but all were no greater than 60-65 degrees. I don?t think nor would I want to shoot a 62MM single shot at less than 60 degrees. A comet or a mine, yes but not a single shot.

esgrillo
07-26-2019, 08:23 AM
Yes about 30 were angle shots but all were no greater than 60-65 degrees. I don?t think nor would I want to shoot a 62MM single shot at less than 60 degrees. A comet or a mine, yes but not a single shot.

Good advice... the sharp angles can get your break uncomfortably close to the ground... I made this rack for a fan 62mm effect I did during my 2019 show Bohemian Rhapsody...

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4315&stc=1

krayg
07-26-2019, 10:15 AM
Has anyone tried Brian D's prototyped racks for 62mm yet? I've only seen him mention it once in the Cobra FB group and haven't seen a pic yet.