PDA

View Full Version : NYS Shooters Permit/License

Dakota
07-21-2019, 03:39 PM
So from what I know you need a shooters permit to shoot 1.3 in NY. And you have to have 3 years of experience with a company. Does the company have to be in NY or can it be in a different state?

displayfireworks1
07-21-2019, 08:59 PM
I see these questions in varying form you are floating around on the forums. What is your goal you are working towards?

Dakota
07-21-2019, 09:27 PM
I would just like to shoot small shows like backyard events graduations weddings just small stuff like that maybe some bigger 4th of july events in the future.

CMiller
07-22-2019, 04:50 PM
It doesn't specifically state that. Just 5 shows in three years.

displayfireworks1
07-22-2019, 07:43 PM
I would just like to shoot small shows like backyard events graduations weddings just small stuff like that maybe some bigger 4th of july events in the future.

You left out the part about who is paying for all of these backyard and July 4th events. Are you a philanthropist giving away fireworks displays to graduations and weddings or are you trying to start a fireworks business?

Dakota
07-23-2019, 08:10 PM
Trying to start a small business basically.

chriskrc
07-24-2019, 07:17 AM
I haven't yet finished up my 54 process but I have Dave's dvd and there is a difference between a hobbyist and a business. I keep myself up to date as much as I can with any changes but the guidelines NY state sets for a fireworks business hasn't changed and you will need to follow the process, work 5 shows in 3 years, atf 54, ny own and possess and a ny shioters certification. Then whatever business costs come after all that.

RalphieJ
07-24-2019, 06:57 PM
Trying to start a small business basically.

30+ years ago the cost of insurance PER SHOW was 25% of the gross (customer's) sales price. I don't know what it is now. And that rate was for a company with a sustained clean safety record. And it's a highly competitive, cutthroat business. Good luck with that.

nypyro
07-25-2019, 12:53 AM
30+ years ago the cost of insurance PER SHOW was 25% of the gross (customer's) sales price. I don't know what it is now. And that rate was for a company with a sustained clean safety record. And it's a highly competitive, cutthroat business. Good luck with that.

It's now $1,000,000 minimum in liability insurance.

Mattp
07-25-2019, 07:07 AM
when i owned a construction company the minimum ins was 1,000,000 general liability/2,000,000 for injury... and it only cost about 300$ a month...which really isnt to bad..i dont know if the risk assessment for a fireworks company makes it cost more(highly likely)...or maybe it can be purchased on a per show basis?? and if you have any employees beside yourself you then need workers comp insurance...thats the more expensive one!!! ...ive read the application a few times myself.. doesnt say anything about the 5 shows having to be in NY... but it does say you need to work 5 of each type of show (5 proximate/5 non-proximate) if you want to be able to get the license to do both types of shows... honestly ive seen a couple of the smaller side business type of firework shows around the state(not in the city)..never spoken to any of them.. but from the looks of the operations.. i think once you have all your ducks in a row.. really not a big deal... insurance will probably be the biggest hurdle...and you need that before you can even apply... good luck!!!..

chriskrc
07-25-2019, 07:15 AM
The one thing I have seen is buying insurance per show is way more expensive than paying yearly. Good luck to ya, I used to own a landscape business and had the same coverages mattp wrote about. NY doesn't make it easy. A local fireworks company sold a few years back because of how NY is with running a business here.