PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Southern Indiana

MidwestPyrotechnics
07-20-2019, 09:09 AM
Hello everyone!

I?m brand new to this forum. I currently live in Memphis Indiana outside of Louisville. Right now I do a show every July in Bloomington In. (All 1.4G) I?m hoping to learn from some experienced pyros to improve and hopefully grow the amount of shows I do. I?m planning to buy my first 144 cue Apex firing system this upcoming year from Jerry at Casabella, and in a few years plan to get my type 54. Would love to hear tips or advice from people, and especially some fellow Hoosiers that can help me with the local regs.

Thanks and look forward to getting to know y?all.

-Kiah.

IndianaPH
07-20-2019, 10:36 AM
I’m new here as well, but welcome. I’m just up the road from you. I’m getting ready to apply for my type 54, so should have more definitive answers soon, but so far, Indiana seems to be a fireworks friendly state.

MidwestPyrotechnics
07-20-2019, 11:21 AM
That’s awesome! I’m trying to determine if I should wait until I have property so I can have my own storage or try to go the contingency route and get it sooner. There’s a 1.3 supplier 45 minutes from so it’s very tempting.

joewad
07-20-2019, 11:34 AM
Welcome aboard.......

IndianaPH
07-20-2019, 12:01 PM
That’s awesome! I’m trying to determine if I should wait until I have property so I can have my own storage or try to go the contingency route and get it sooner. There’s a 1.3 supplier 45 minutes from so it’s very tempting.

I was told recently and have seen suggestions on here that you should get your license, using contingency storage, then build your magazine and get it approved. With contingency storage so close, that sounds like a good idea for you. So far, I have found four 1.3 suppliers close to us. Two of them, Lynch & Casabella are sponsors here.

After you get your magazine approved by the ATF, you will need an Indiana permit for it. I contacted the Office of the State Fire Marshal at the Indiana Department of Homeland Security, and they require you to have your ATF inspection and permit before they will issue a permit.

IndianaPH
07-20-2019, 12:16 PM
Full disclosure, i don’t have my Type 54 yet and I just typed that while taking a break from working on my magazine. . .

MidwestPyrotechnics
07-20-2019, 01:47 PM
I was told recently and have seen suggestions on here that you should get your license, using contingency storage, then build your magazine and get it approved. With contingency storage so close, that sounds like a good idea for you. So far, I have found four 1.3 suppliers close to us. Two of them, Lynch & Casabella are sponsors here.

After you get your magazine approved by the ATF, you will need an Indiana permit for it. I contacted the Office of the State Fire Marshal at the Indiana Department of Homeland Security, and they require you to have your ATF inspection and permit before they will issue a permit.

I?ve worked with Casabella and Wayne?s world in the past. I?ve never worked with lynch before. I?ll have to look into them. Wayne?s world has their shooter training in October which I?m planning on attending. Im planning on buying a firing system next spring so I want to learn all I can in the meantime.

Thanks for the heads up on the Indiana permit. Do you know if they perform an inspection as well or just go off of the atf?

IndianaPH
07-20-2019, 02:00 PM
I?ve worked with Casabella and Wayne?s world in the past. I?ve never worked with lynch before. I?ll have to look into them. Wayne?s world has their shooter training in October which I?m planning on attending. Im planning on buying a firing system next spring so I want to learn all I can in the meantime.

Thanks for the heads up on the Indiana permit. Do you know if they perform an inspection as well or just go off of the atf?

They didn't specifically say, but I didn't specifically asked. My question was if I needed to get a state permit before the ATF. I assume that there would be an inspection. Here is a link to the Indiana form:

Download the Application for Explosive Magazine Permit (https://forms.in.gov/Download.aspx?id=7980)

joewad
07-20-2019, 04:50 PM
Remember guys.....baby steps are safe steps. Now, I built a lot of my racks before I received my FEL but I was sure I would have no problem after reading application questions nor with the impending background check. I held a secret clearance for several years prior to my pursuing an FEL.

Pyro Paul
07-21-2019, 11:33 AM
Welcome to Pyrotalk, good luck with your endeavors!

MidwestPyrotechnics
07-22-2019, 07:57 PM
Remember guys.....baby steps are safe steps. Now, I built a lot of my racks before I received my FEL but I was sure I would have no problem after reading application questions nor with the impending background check. I held a secret clearance for several years prior to my pursuing an FEL.

I agree with you. It will probably be a few years before I eventually get my type 54. I’ve been shooting 1.4 shows strictly by hand for the last 12 years. I want to get a system so I can get into the 1.4pro line as my next step.

MidwestPyrotechnics
07-22-2019, 07:59 PM
Welcome to Pyrotalk, good luck with your endeavors!

Thank you! I can’t wait to learn the invaluable knowledge from the people on this site and someday be able to pass it on.

Rick_In_Tampa
07-23-2019, 12:02 AM
Welcome aboard Kiah! Glad to have you on the boards.

MidwestPyrotechnics
07-23-2019, 08:08 AM
Welcome aboard Kiah! Glad to have you on the boards.

Thanks Rick. I’ve already learned some invaluable stuff from reading your post!

Rick_In_Tampa
07-23-2019, 03:33 PM
Thanks Rick. I’ve already learned some invaluable stuff from reading your post!

Well that's always nice to hear! Thanks. There are lots of smart pyros on here. Never hesitate to ask a question. Always happy to help!