PDA

View Full Version : PGI Is Coming Up Soon!!

Rick_In_Tampa
07-17-2019, 09:12 PM
So the 50th anniversary PGI convention in Gillette, Wyoming is a few short weeks away! How many of you are planning on going? I'll be there again, working the C line, enjoying all the class C fireworks that I for once DON'T have to pay for!! Then all the great professional shows... This being the 50th anniversary, the shows should be spectacular. I'm very excited about heading out there. My pyro buddy and I are headed out 3 days early to do some sight-seeing. Going to hit Yosemite and maybe even Sturgis if we have time. Should be a great time.

So who's going?!

PyroGyro
07-18-2019, 06:56 AM
Won't be at PGI but have vacationed in Wyoming twice. It's breath taking. Such a departure from city life. Calming. Check out Devil's Tower if you can, it's about a 40 minute drive from Gillette. Mount Rushmore is an amazing site too and is close to Sturgis. If you have never been there and have a choice extend your vacation a couple of days just to sight see. Btw, I read somewhere that they plan to shoot a 36 inch shell. That should be something to see.

Rick_In_Tampa
07-18-2019, 05:19 PM
The convention starts on the 7th but we're going out there on the 4th just to sight-see for a few days. I've heard nothing but great things about the venue. I haven't heard anything about the shell you're talking about, but I don't read the bulletins I get. Just don't have the time. Anyway... I hope it's as nice as it looks on TV. I'm going to be in the market for a retirement property soon and it looks like a great option.

cptnding
07-18-2019, 07:55 PM
So the 50th anniversary PGI convention in Gillette, Wyoming is a few short weeks away! How many of you are planning on going? I'll be there again, working the C line, enjoying all the class C fireworks that I for once DON'T have to pay for!! Then all the great professional shows... This being the 50th anniversary, the shows should be spectacular. I'm very excited about heading out there. My pyro buddy and I are headed out 3 days early to do some sight-seeing. Going to hit Yosemite and maybe even Sturgis if we have time. Should be a great time.

So who's going?!

I'll see ya there! We're staying till the Wed after to do some sight seeing as well.

cptnding
07-18-2019, 07:56 PM
The convention starts on the 7th but we're going out there on the 4th

Starts on the 10th. I'm sincerely hoping you just got that date mixed up lol.

displayfireworks1
07-18-2019, 08:03 PM
Rick I hope you have a good time at the PGI.

cptnding
07-18-2019, 09:03 PM
I haven't heard anything about the shell you're talking about, but I don't read the bulletins I get.

Rick,
Check out this link. First I've heard of it as well.
https://k2radio.com/big-firework-plan-sparks-worry-in-wyoming-community/?trackback=fbshare_mobile&fbclid=IwAR0fm2NprKLlIlGCA7kVkTKPbiPuxA0esJyV1adlZ VNjJTOZTbpPq4AmnRM

BeerGuyEd
07-19-2019, 08:44 AM
Damn I wish I could make it out there to see a 3' shell in person.

Rick_In_Tampa
07-21-2019, 02:37 AM
I'll see ya there! We're staying till the Wed after to do some sight seeing as well.

Awesome!! Pop over to the C line one evening and say hi!

Rick_In_Tampa
07-21-2019, 02:40 AM
Starts on the 10th. I'm sincerely hoping you just got that date mixed up lol.

I was clearly smoking crack when I wrote that. :confused:

Yes... You are correct. We are headed out there on the 7th to sight-see before the convention starts on the 10th!

Sheesh... It's been a long month already....

Rick_In_Tampa
07-21-2019, 02:41 AM
Rick I hope you have a good time at the PGI.

Thanks Dave!! I'll try and keep everyone updated as always. If there's anything special anyone wants to know, shoot me a PM and I'll do my best to help!

Rick_In_Tampa
07-21-2019, 02:52 AM
Rick,
Check out this link. First I've heard of it as well.
https://k2radio.com/big-firework-plan-sparks-worry-in-wyoming-community/?trackback=fbshare_mobile&fbclid=IwAR0fm2NprKLlIlGCA7kVkTKPbiPuxA0esJyV1adlZ VNjJTOZTbpPq4AmnRM

Cool if true! I'm going to have to dig up a copy of the last bulletin and see if it's in there. I found the article quite amusing. I've never been to Gillette, but I've looked at it via Google maps. It looks like a trailer park on one end of town, and some nice houses on the other end, and NOTHING for miles and miles around all of it! So I don't have any idea what they're worried about.

Pyro Paul
07-21-2019, 10:34 AM
I envy you Rick, I'd love to attend the PGI but it just isn't in the budget the last couple of years. Pyromania in St Louis is going to be awesome though. I hope you have a good time. Maybe it will be in the cards for me next year to do the PGI. Just out of curiosity, what does a membership in PGI gain you for this event?

Rick_In_Tampa
07-21-2019, 11:14 PM
I envy you Rick, I'd love to attend the PGI but it just isn't in the budget the last couple of years. Pyromania in St Louis is going to be awesome though. I hope you have a good time. Maybe it will be in the cards for me next year to do the PGI. Just out of curiosity, what does a membership in PGI gain you for this event?

When I was in the military I used to go TDY to St Louis twice a month for almost 9 years. I love that town! I left a ton of brain cells back there and scared the hell out of my liver too. I'd love to do it all over again!! lol... Sorry. I had a moment there....

Membership in PGI gains you access to the event. You can't go to the convention unless you're a member. I don't want to sound like a PGI cheerleader, but the initial fee is $100, and it's $75 every year after that. You can't get good seats to a 2 hour concert for $100 these days. The convention itself is $195 for the primary member, then $50 for the spouse or child. This convention is a week long and they feed you every day you're there. That alone pays for the membership/convention fee. You also have access to all the seminars and workshops (most of which are free), and if you get on a "skittles" crew you can be part of making the convention happen. I'm on the safety team. So I have an "all access" pass to go anywhere I like. Regular members can't. There's a show building team, fire and medical team, etc. and so on. So you can be as involved as you'd like, or just sit back and watch a week's worth of pyro shows! For me it's worth every dime. It's my thing. It's what I like to do. I get that it's expensive when you factor in airfare and hotel and rental car. It's not a cheap hobby! I'm very blessed that I'm able to do this. If you're able to make it to one of these things, I promise you you'll be saving your lunch money in order to get to the next one! :cool:

Rick_In_Tampa
07-21-2019, 11:24 PM
Paul, et. al. - Here's a link to the daily schedule so you can see all the things going on over the course of the week.

If you go to one of these things and you're bored it's your own fault!!

http://www.pgi.org/files/2019/2019-PGI-Daily-Schedule-v19.0513.pdf

snickels
07-22-2019, 09:27 AM
This is my first year going. I'll be in the trade show room. Stop by and say hello during the day!

Rick_In_Tampa
07-22-2019, 06:55 PM
I will do that! How will I find you in the trade show room?

snickels
07-23-2019, 08:45 AM
I will be at the American Wholesale Fireworks booth.

Rick_In_Tampa
07-23-2019, 04:39 PM
I will be at the American Wholesale Fireworks booth.

Roger dodger! Save me a free t-shirt. lol...

joed2323
07-24-2019, 07:24 AM
Gillette Wyoming is about a 6 hour ride from my house in far north western North Dakota... hmm decisions, decisions...

6 hour ride is easy peasy!

I would not be able to make the whole week probably could swing a day or two though, problem is I just took 2 weeks off from work, I feel the flu coming on, cough cough

NWA_Fireworks
07-24-2019, 11:30 AM

So who's going?!

Rick -

You beat me to it! I was going to post the same question.

Dad and I will be there again this year, and we're bringing the wives this time! We reserved a camper on site, so we will be right in the middle of it. I was considering volunteering for the C-Line this year, but not sure what the time commitment would be. I don't want to abandon my wife and 3-year old daughter every evening haha! We'll probably make some day trips to Mt Rushmore and Devil's Tower during the week, which I'm really looking forward to. Also looking forward to seeing you again!

Rick_In_Tampa
07-25-2019, 12:16 AM
Rick -

You beat me to it! I was going to post the same question.

Dad and I will be there again this year, and we're bringing the wives this time! We reserved a camper on site, so we will be right in the middle of it. I was considering volunteering for the C-Line this year, but not sure what the time commitment would be. I don't want to abandon my wife and 3-year old daughter every evening haha! We'll probably make some day trips to Mt Rushmore and Devil's Tower during the week, which I'm really looking forward to. Also looking forward to seeing you again!

Oh sweet!! That's great news buddy. I'm sure the wives and especially the kids will have a blast. (no pun intended). There's a pretty good chance that we're going to be short on the C line this year. Two of our guys told us last year that they probably wouldn't be able to make it this year. So if you can help out, that would be great. If not, we'll be fine either way. We usually have a safety meeting at 4pm and then head over and open up so we're ready to go at 5pm. Then we're there until midnight or 1am, however long they say we need to stay open. So it's definitely a long night. We do shut down when we have the big shows though. So you won't miss any of those.

If you're interested shoot me a PM and I'll send you the contact info for the head safety guy. If not, I'll see you in Gillette! Have a safe trip out there.

cptnding
07-25-2019, 01:17 AM
Hey Rick, I'm curious. Who cleans up the C line. I shot a few 200g cakes last year for giggles and watched a fair amount from the side of the entrance road last year. There was an absolute shitload of fireworks being shot at times. Must have filled multiple dumpsters on the busy days lol.

cherrybomb1
07-25-2019, 02:51 AM
I’ll be out there the whole week this year with my wife and son.We plan on a lot of side trips like Mt Rushmore...Devils Tower and look to find some places to go off roading.Hope to run into you guys!

Rick_In_Tampa
07-25-2019, 11:02 PM
Hey Rick, I'm curious. Who cleans up the C line. I shot a few 200g cakes last year for giggles and watched a fair amount from the side of the entrance road last year. There was an absolute shitload of fireworks being shot at times. Must have filled multiple dumpsters on the busy days lol.

There is actually a team that does nothing but clean up the garbage throughout the week. They must come around in the morning because the line is usually clean before we show up to start shooting.

Rick_In_Tampa
07-25-2019, 11:03 PM
I’ll be out there the whole week this year with my wife and son.We plan on a lot of side trips like Mt Rushmore...Devils Tower and look to find some places to go off roading.Hope to run into you guys!

Ditto! Hope to see many of the same sites while I'm there. Have a safe trip!!