PDA

View Full Version : State of Illinois vs City of Springfield and why thorough research is important

CozmicRooster
07-16-2019, 11:22 PM
This year I discover I can buy canisters and balls and build my own racks and do really cool stuff, right? Then I run across this YouTube channel where this guy is telling my how I can get my ATF Permit and make it all legal (thanks for the tip Dave).

Well make sure you do very thorough research and check with your Local and State authorities before applying for your ATF Permit.

After doing some looking around I realized I probably needed some kind of local permit to shoot off fireworks where I live. Although I?m on 5 acres and can easily meet all the ATF and other codes for distances and magazine storage, I am still technically inside the city limits and therefore fall under the Local Municipal Code.

I ended up talking with someone at the Office of the State Fire Marshall for Illinois and was informed that while the IDNR and State Fire Marshall regulate 1.3G Display Fireworks, they do not regulate 1.4G Consumer Fireworks, so as far as they are concerned I can purchase, possess, and use 1.4G fireworks...as long as I am permitted by my Local Authority. Great! I don?t need the ATF Permit!! Or do I?

My next call is the City of Springfield Fire Marshall?s office, where I am informed that to obtain a Fireworks Permit I need to meet a list of requirements, including but not limited to:

? Proof of Insurance in an amount of $1,000,000.00
? Office of the State Fire Marshal (OSFM) Pyrotechnic Distributor License
? Office of the State Fire Marshal (OSFM) Pyrotechnic Operator License
? Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) License/Permit
? Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) Storage Certificate

So the State says I?m good to go, but the City says I need to be licensed by the State, in which case I basically need to be a Display Fireworks business to meet all the requirements, one of which is to provide references from 3 different authorized individuals that have witnessed me as a lead operator on separate occasions to obtain the Operator License. Not one, but two catch-22s in this scenario.

Bottom line is I need the 1.3G Permits and Licensing to be able to use 1.4G Fireworks legally, sort of...

While having the ATF User Permit and Storage Magazine would be cool and all, it?s only a small part of a much larger picture in my case, making it pointless unless I can manage the rest of it. I do have one plan left but I can?t disclose the details at this time as there are conversations that have yet to be had and agreements to hash out.

Possibly to be continued...