PDA

View Full Version : Denatured or Isopropyl alcohol

Bourbon
07-16-2019, 03:04 PM
I couldn't find any direct threads on this so I'm hoping a Mod will will place this where it needs to be.

Does anyone have any experience using denatured or isopropyl when mixing compositions? If so, is there a difference? Are there any benefits in using either or?

Thanks for any info!
Bourbon

Kenny East
07-18-2019, 03:10 AM
They both have additives, I predominantly use isopropyl alcohol, as it doesn't contain as high a percentage of alcohol, and has no corrosion inhibitors.

I use denatured alcohol when I need it to dry fast and I'm not worried about the inhibitors altering the color. A good selection of solvents is a must for building fireworks, acetone, various alcohols, and many others are used.

Bourbon
07-19-2019, 10:26 PM
Thank you for the insight.. I had no idea denatured alcohol had corrosion inhibitors in it.

I have to ask though. Alter the color of what?

In all of your solvents, do you have an opinion on which works best in black powder making for best binding and hard granules. Or, like others do you find water to be key?

chris v
07-21-2019, 12:50 AM
Red gum uses denatured alcohol parlon uses acetone it all depends on what binders are used and what the comp is

Kenny East
08-01-2019, 05:41 AM
I use isopropyl for most of my bp, milled and bound with dextrin.

I have used red gum as a binder as well as nitrocellulose lacquer... You can use almost any alcohol/water mix with red gum or dextrin... Nc lacquer is made of acetone, and nitrocellulose... And can be a pain to clean up.

The corrosion inhibitors can add a coating to any metal used in composition, and that can alter the color burn of a specific formula. Not a concern for the purposes of making black powder, more for star comps.