PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Buffalo, New York

maredsous99
07-12-2019, 12:27 AM
Hey everyone, my name is Dave and I joined Pyrotalk\Discussion Board maybe a week ago.

I have been a firework enthusiast\hobbyist for the vast majority of my life. I'm 32 years old now.
I let interest sit on the back burner while I pursued\advanced my education and carriers.

Recently some things changed in my life and with the time that I had, some of my old interests were rekindled a little bit and I started getting back into things that I let go a little bit. This is one of them.

I have old war stories I could recount about this field as I am sure we all do. I think that isn't really important right now.

So why I am I here, now?

Well I really want to get back into this field and I wanted to do it the right way. I was hoping maybe someone could point me in the right direction or maybe knows someone to talk to. Anyone can whip together KClO4+Al or 75+15+10 and that is all well and good and it has its purpose.

I am more interested in taking a Firework Shooters Course in my area and hopefully find someone or some company that I can work through\under and start down a path that would allow me to learn and gain some professional experience.

I don't have any connections in this field at all and am basically just taking a shot in the dark and maybe\hopefully I can get steered in the right direction. I did find on company in the area online, Skylighters Fireworks and I sent them a message but that's all that I came across. Maybe someone knows something about them here?

I am sure I am way ahead of myself here with this but:

I did just send in my application to join PGI
Receive a copy of the Orange ATF Regulations book, (and got an application and fingerprint cards for a 1.3 user of fireworks license).
I am not going to bother with that application yet, but it's all free on their website so I thought it couldn't hurt.

That's another question I have, I assume someone needs to sign off on you that you know what you're doing before the ATF will give you a license. What is the process for NYS licenses?

Do I need to have a permanent magazine in place, does it have to be on property I own or can it be on a relatives land that isn't in the city?
I recently read on a website that they allow people who purchase their fireworks there can use their (distributors) magazine as contingency storage.
I also read somewhere that you can buy 1.3 fireworks, without a magazine but you need to use them in 24...48 hours?

All of those questions I am sure will be answered in due time and right now that is way too far ahead but there's just a lot of material out there related to that so I came across the stuff quite easily.

So that's my story as it stands now.

Any advice you have or any ideas for me to explore to send me in the right direction would be hugely appreciated.

maredsous99
07-12-2019, 12:37 AM
---Add on to above--- I Couldn't edit the post to include this -----

If I did get a 1.3 license that it would be for my own personal use and I would be using them on private property.
I think PyroDave (displayfireworks 1) said somewhere that if you are using them for your own enjoyment basically that the process for getting a license is much easier.
I definitely would not be putting on displays of my own....NYS insurance for that is $1,000,000

But getting a 1.3 license and also be working in the field is my ultimate goal as of now. I don't know which came first the chicken or the egg.