PDA

View Full Version : Avg. Pyro working July 4th shows for a professional company

zalytn
07-09-2019, 10:53 AM
This past week I had the opportunity to work for a professional firework company that puts on several shows here in the middle-Tennessee area. I was able to work two shows, the 3rd and 4th, and worked the yard one day consolidating racks. I did my personal neighborhood show on Saturday the 6th so I could spend time working with the pro's the 3rd-5th. My thoughts:

I don't think I'll quit my day-job. I knew from my own shows the setup and take-down is hard work but working with 10" and 12" is a whole other level. My appreciation for what the 'pros' do is even higher after being in their shoes for a few days. Plus the $ is better outside of Pyro. :)

The view from the launch site area is amazing. Looking straight up and having the entire sky filled with light and sound is amazing. Feeling the thump of a 12" launching is a great feeling. No other viewer vantage point will ever compare to being right underneath the show.

It's hot, especially in Tennessee in July, but the time flies by very fast as you setup for show prep. The harder/faster you work early on the more time you have to trouble-shoot or sit around and chat waiting for launch time.

Everybody needs at least one day where they sort racks in the main drop-off yard. It's hot, monotonous work. You learn the importance of doing a better job loading the trailer after an individual shoot when you have to unload the trailer the next day.

Tools that I found worked really well based on comments I received or observations:
* Use a Flat pry-bar vs. a typical crow bar (Blue Hawk is what I used to tear-down racks and it was very fast/efficient)
* Bring a pocket-knife to cut the little strings that tie up the shells
* Wear gloves
* Steel-toe shoes, while heavier, help prevent potential toe injuries

I plan to help out with some Fall (College Football) and NYE shows this year and probably do 1-2 July shows each year. Overall it was a great workout, the views and sounds were amazing, I made new friends, and learned new tips/tricks of the trade that I plan on incorporating into my own personal (1.4) shows.

Let me know what questions you have and I'll be happy to answer them!

BeerGuyEd
07-09-2019, 11:10 AM
Sounds like a fun time. I hope to be on some crews for some shows this year. I could not do the 4th since I already had my show on the books when I learned about the opportunity to join.

zalytn
07-09-2019, 11:34 AM
I learned the company's are always looking for help. Maybe see if they can use you during New Year's?

Mattp
07-09-2019, 12:53 PM
ools that I found worked really well based on comments I received or observations:
* Use a Flat pry-bar vs. a typical crow bar (Blue Hawk is what I used to tear-down racks and it was very fast/efficient)
* Bring a pocket-knife to cut the little strings that tie up the shells
* Wear gloves
* Steel-toe shoes, while heavier, help prevent potential toe injuries

thats pretty cool... yes i agree.. definitely cant quit my day job... and as a entry level technician.. we definitely dont do it for the $..lol ..i too would be happy to do 1-3 shows a year
just want to add and quite possibly the most important tool... a good but simple pair of wire strippers.. and maybe on a retractable key ring!!!

jamisonlm3
07-09-2019, 01:25 PM
The only issue I find is looking straight up hurts my neck. Beyond that, you've got the best view unless the wind isn't in your favor. There's also the ever present danger of a star landing on you. I'd also recommend ear protection. Personally, I like a 18-24" crow bar for pulling nails. The longer bar gives you more leverage and make it easier on you. Fireworks are easily a work smarter, not harder industry. It's hard work, but anything you can do to make a little less so is good.

zalytn
07-09-2019, 05:21 PM
Agreed, a pair of wire strippers that have an end to crimp things if needed.

zalytn
07-09-2019, 05:23 PM
The only issue I find is looking straight up hurts my neck. Beyond that, you've got the best view unless the wind isn't in your favor. There's also the ever present danger of a star landing on you. I'd also recommend ear protection. Personally, I like a 18-24" crow bar for pulling nails. The longer bar gives you more leverage and make it easier on you. Fireworks are easily a work smarter, not harder industry. It's hard work, but anything you can do to make a little less so is good.

My pry bar was 18" and had good leverage. You're right, your neck can hurt but it does make up a bit for looking down most of the day. :)

Rick_In_Tampa
07-09-2019, 06:27 PM
You know what I learned about setting up pro shows? It's a young man's game. I'm near death every year just doing my 1.4 "back yard" show. I couldn't imagine working on a pro show at my age. So the best part for me is still sitting back and looking up while they go boom!

Pyro Paul
07-09-2019, 10:22 PM
You know what I learned about setting up pro shows? It's a young man's game. I'm near death every year just doing my 1.4 "back yard" show. I couldn't imagine working on a pro show at my age. So the best part for me is still sitting back and looking up while they go boom!

Actually Rick, if you're on a good crew it's not that bad. I've worked on a more than a dozen commercial shoots and I have to say it was much easier than what I go thru for my backyard show. Maybe having someone else in charge to do all the worrying has something to do with it lol.

Rick_In_Tampa
07-09-2019, 10:26 PM
Actually Rick, if you're on a good crew it's not that bad. I've worked on a more than a dozen commercial shoots and I have to say it was much easier than what I go thru for my backyard show. Maybe having someone else in charge to do all the worrying has something to do with it lol.

Oh I don't doubt that for a minute! All the risk and all the backlash and angst is on someone else if things go South. That's definitely a plus. But I'll be 56 in 3 weeks and as much as I'd love to say "I helped build that!" I just don't think I'm cut out for that anymore. :(

Pyro Paul
07-09-2019, 10:29 PM
Oh I don't doubt that for a minute! All the risk and all the backlash and angst is on someone else if things go South. That's definitely a plus. But I'll be 56 in 3 weeks and as much as I'd love to say "I helped build that!" I just don't think I'm cut out for that anymore. :(

I'm 54 and just did one last Saturday, I left all the heavy lifting to the young bucks though lol

Rick_In_Tampa
07-09-2019, 10:39 PM
I'm 54 and just did one last Saturday, I left all the heavy lifting to the young bucks though lol

Lol... Good call! That's what I'd have to do too. I could sit and fuse cakes or shells all day long. But when it came time to lift cases of effects or move mortar racks... There's just no way this old bod could do that.