PDA

View Full Version : Pyrotechnics in Georgia

georgiapyro
10-28-2011, 11:19 AM
Just though I would take a minute to share my experience with you all. I have been planning for some time now to get my Type 54 license. Although I am getting it for completely different reasons than many on this forum. In Georgia the only legal consumer items are ground-based. Since I have a slight addiction to the aerial stuff, I figured I would get my license in orderer to get a permit to shoot my small backyard shows. I really had no intentions of using much professional product, but I wanted to get my hands on a permit so I could set up some bigger and better backyard shows without having to look over my shoulder for police.

I was finally able to get some contingency storage, but it looks like I might be halted by one issue, insurance. I work in an attorney's office, so I got my hands on the GA Code as it pertains to fireworks. I have to go through the probate court in order to get permits, but I have to put up a $10,000 bond or show that I have proper liability insurance, up to $1 million.

Ridiculous. Now, I really don't know if it's worth going through with the Type 54. I would love to get my hands on e-match and quick match, but I'm not sure if it's even worth it. I would love to hear some feedback on this one. Especially if anyone has an understanding of the insurance process.

Thanks in advance!

displayfireworks1
10-28-2011, 03:22 PM
I am curious did you purchase my ATF license video package? You have many thing distorted on what the ATF license can and cannot do for you. In addition, your are mixing in consumer fireworks and insurance in to the mix. This is typically what many people do, they look at 20 steps at once and get frustrated and confused.
No license, insurance etc is going to allow you to shoot fireworks in your backyard if you do not meet the proper distance and permit issues for your local area.
It sound like you need a ground up education on how all this works.

georgiapyro
10-28-2011, 07:18 PM
Hey Dave,

I did purchase your package a few months ago. I haven't watched them in a while so I might be wrong on some things, but I think you are misunderstanding me. The problem with GA law is that it doesn't matter if the fireworks are 1.3 product or 1.4, they are illegal to the individual. Except for sparklers and ground-based fireworks, most consumers items are illegal. I have a friend of mine who has some property in the county I live in, but no permit will be given to me unless I provide proof of liability insurance or that $10,000 bond. This is quite different from PA where you are able to get permits for just a $500 bond (or so I have seen on the forum). The problem would not be space for me, the problem is getting insurance in order to get a permit. I just thought that having a Type 54 license would show that I know a bit more about fireworks that Joe Blow off the street who just wants to shoot bottle rockets at his neighbors.

The base line is, in GA there is no specification between an individual applying for a display permit or a company applying for one. All of the requirements are the same, including the issuance issue.

Does that make any more sense?

Pyro Nation
10-29-2011, 11:20 AM
WOW... that sucks. Even to do a small 1.4 show ya need that. I feel really sorry for ya... : O(

J's12talk
10-29-2011, 08:19 PM
If you own a piece of property and carry a $1,000,000.00 umbella policy from an insurance company that is ok with fireworks that should do it. There are several carriers out there that allow it. In New York they want the same amount of insurance and I know several people that have gone this route with no problems. In reality you really do want at least that much coverage just in case someone gets hurt. You will still have to meet the states pyro requirements that may be in place such as a pyrotechnic certificate of compentence, a state own and possess license and or a type 54 permit. Best of luck, don't lose hope.

pbjacker
07-28-2015, 05:03 PM
georgiapyro, can I inquire about your contigency storage?