View Full Version : T Advice needed. Rain / cakes and next steps

SvnTwoo
07-06-2019, 02:35 PM
Hello Pyro?s,

I need some advice on cakes that got wet during our neighborhood show, we had 70 cakes that got wet when we saw a break in the weather, removed tarps and literally got dumped on. We re tarped and it proceeded to absolutely pour for the next couple hours, the next morning we went out and brought stuff back to the garage. Removed wrappers on some of the cakes and the tubes were wet around the lift charges, we were able to salvage 300 mortars as we had them covered in foil.

My question in on the cakes, should we:
Soak and trash them?
Let them dry out for next year ( I have trust issues/concerns about this).

Can they actually be salvaged or is it too risky?

*never trust an ex meteorologist for weather advice.

SvnTwoo
07-06-2019, 05:41 PM
I pulled the wrapping off a couple cakes yesterday, this is what they looked like.
Yesterday:

Today:

morrison2951
07-06-2019, 07:07 PM
To the trash they go. Better safe than sorry.

Besides, now you have an excuse to buy more pyro! :)

SvnTwoo
07-06-2019, 07:13 PM
To the trash they go. Better safe than sorry.

Besides, now you have an excuse to buy more pyro! :)

Agreed, that is the plan... unfortunately.

All this work... That never manifested to light the sky...

https://youtu.be/6JxMoJyJCIM

Pyro Paul
07-07-2019, 12:15 PM
personally I would let them bake in the summer heat for a couple of months, take them to my property in country, match them up and shoot them remotely just for fun. Some may go ok some may not go at all but at least then I could enjoy what I paid for. This being said, no one really knows but you how wet they actually got and no one can say for certainty what they'll do. It's up to you what you do with them but remember that distance is your friend and make sure you do it safely. I wouldn't try to use them for an actual show though.

SvnTwoo
07-07-2019, 03:07 PM
personally I would let them bake in the summer heat for a couple of months, take them to my property in country, match them up and shoot them remotely just for fun. Some may go ok some may not go at all but at least then I could enjoy what I paid for. This being said, no one really knows but you how wet they actually got and no one can say for certainty what they'll do. It's up to you what you do with them but remember that distance is your friend and make sure you do it safely. I wouldn't try to use them for an actual show though.
What part of Kansas are you in?

Rick_In_Tampa
07-07-2019, 03:33 PM
I'm with Paul. Save them. Dry them out. Shoot them for fun. Take the cakes apart and mix and match the tubes. Re-fuse them. Make you own designs. If they work, cool. If not, you're out nothing.

Pyro Paul
07-07-2019, 05:41 PM
Northeast, about an hour from KC.

Kooooou
07-07-2019, 06:19 PM
When you're out of tannerite....;)

joewad
07-07-2019, 08:11 PM

Concur...........

robdog
07-07-2019, 08:58 PM
Concur...........

+1...……….……………………..

Mattp
07-08-2019, 01:30 PM
YES!! i agree... i would at least see what happens... i had fireworks that were completely submerged from a flood(hurricane sandy)... i let them completely dry out for a long time ...took them out somewhere with plenty of space... they all worked just fine!!! i was shocked but they did!!! although a few gallons of gas and a burn pile would probably pretty cool!!

SvnTwoo
07-09-2019, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I'm torn right now as the only storage space I have is in my basement. I am not terribly into the idea of my basement becoming a pyro storage zone though, I would love to be able to salvage these and use my newly purchased cobra sytem to test fire these (beats initiating fuses for testing). I am located in a residential neighborhood and travel frequently for work, leaving the wife and 4 year old at home makes me a tad nervous.

Pyro Paul, you have a message.. :)