PDA

View Full Version : Indiana Accident

Knightmare
07-03-2019, 09:35 AM
I guess there was an accident in Indiana involving a fireworks store known as Grandma's Fireworks.

They accidentally sold consumer marked rockets which were actually overloaded to an eight year old boy. I am not naming the rockets.

The child lost his left hand in the fireworks accident.

I guess there are dozens of items being recalled now.

Him and his friend were shooting the rockets when one failed to explode in the air and came back down in a couple pieces.

He picked up the ball end of the dud rocket and lit the fuse which went off quickly. He was holding the ball in his hand when the accident occured.

I am guessing the fuse went quickly because it was the quick fuse after the motor stage in the rocket.

I feel bad for this child. Has anyone here heard about this?

nightstalker
07-03-2019, 10:50 PM
I really feel bad for this boy but selling to an eight year old ? Here in PA have to be 18.

Knightmare
07-03-2019, 11:18 PM
I really feel bad for this boy but selling to an eight year old? Here in PA have to be 18.

The news just said the fireworks were purchased at Grandma's Fireworks store.

I am guessing the store owners hadn't a clue what those rockets actually were when selling the product.

Nobody watching this child and educating him about proper use was the biggest problem.

You never relight something which didn't ignite already.

You never hold fireworks in your hands either.

He was only eight years old and didn't know better.

There are several fireworks being recalled because of this incident.

These fireworks are commonly referred to as overloads.

Mattp
07-03-2019, 11:31 PM
Grandma don’t give a fu€#... selling fireworks to an 8 year old.. I have not read or heard this story myself.. just going off of this post.. but if that’s true !!!! WOW!!!

Knightmare
07-03-2019, 11:43 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0gb3hqnhxWg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gb3hqnhxWg&app=desktop

displayfireworks1
07-04-2019, 10:21 AM
Keep telling people if you want this stuff go to a Mom and Pop fireworks location. Grandma's has actually been selling this stuff since 2009. Very unfortunate.
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4223&stc=1
https://a57.foxnews.com/static.foxbusiness.com/foxbusiness.com/content/uploads/2019/06/764/432/Recalled-fireworks.png?ve=1&tl=1

Knightmare
07-04-2019, 02:52 PM
Keep telling people if you want this stuff go to a Mom and Pop fireworks location. Grandma's has actually been selling this stuff since 2009. Very unfortunate.
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4223&stc=1
https://a57.foxnews.com/static.foxbusiness.com/foxbusiness.com/content/uploads/2019/06/764/432/Recalled-fireworks.png?ve=1&tl=1

David,

The only thing I can't determine is did they actually sell it to him. The news story makes it seem this way.

Who would sell something like this to a small child? That is messed up!

displayfireworks1
07-04-2019, 08:53 PM
That kid got hurt earlier this year. I think he may have been trying to relight a dud rocket ball. It may not have even been his rocket. This is the downside of overloaded fireworks products.

Knightmare
07-04-2019, 11:48 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zNItKxCWVm8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNItKxCWVm8&app=desktop

Quick Update

Him and his friend actually found the rocket someone else was lighting. They thought it was like a smoke bomb.

People were shooting fireworks in the area the previous weekend.

I feel horrible for this child.

BMoore
07-06-2019, 12:07 AM
My understanding was that it was a dud rocket the boy found which he described as a ball with a burnt fuse. He re-lit and it discharged in his hand almost immediately. I suspect what happened was that the rocket engine and head became separated. What he thought was a fuse was likely the time fuse. What he thought was a burnt fuse may have been just that or black powder slurry. Very unfortunate.

Knightmare
07-06-2019, 11:06 AM
My understanding was that it was a dud rocket the boy found which he described as a ball with a burnt fuse. He re-lit and it discharged in his hand almost immediately. I suspect what happened was that the rocket engine and head became separated. What he thought was a fuse was likely the time fuse. What he thought was a burnt fuse may have been just that or black powder slurry. Very unfortunate.

This accident made a friend of mine dislike fireworks altogether. I really can't blame him either for feeling this way.

PGH_Pyro
07-07-2019, 12:34 PM
the kid's parents are to blame for not supervising what he was doing let alone allowing him to have the stuff...

Knightmare
07-07-2019, 02:03 PM
The kid's parents are to blame for not supervising what he was doing let alone allowing him to have the stuff.

They didn't allow him to have any fireworks. He found the unexploded ball shell in an alleyway near his house. Someone else was lighting these rockets and one rocket failed coming back down in two pieces. A previous poster mentioned this too.

He was trying to light something which failed to ignite. In this case the ball shell with the time fuse. This fuse is faster type fuse than regular visco fuse. Being a little kid he didn't know this like we all do.

Unfortunately, him and his friend found this and disaster struck. It wasn't his fault.

He lost his hand in this accident here.

Jay_
07-07-2019, 06:38 PM
the kid's parents are to blame for not supervising what he was doing let alone allowing him to have the stuff...

I could not agree more. Even if he did find it on the ground, should have been a parent there to stop him from even messing with it. I don’t understand why an 8 year old would be unsupervised when they even had the means to light ANYTHING.

It’s incredibly tragic for the kid and family. It didn’t have to happen though.

Knightmare
07-07-2019, 07:01 PM
I could not agree more. Even if he did find it on the ground, should have been a parent there to stop him from even messing with it.

Parents can't follow their children around while they're playing with their friends. I do agree he shouldn't have been messing with something he knew nothing about.

It's incredibly tragic for the kid and family. It didn't have to happen though.

His life is ruined.

Rick_In_Tampa
07-07-2019, 09:10 PM
The banner on the video says the kid is 12. Like any 12 year old I'm sure he thought it was cool. How he got his hands on a lighter is my question. I'm sure it didn't fall out of the sky along with the unexploded rocket half.

It is a shame that he lost his hand. However, saying his life is ruined is quite an overstatement. He's going to be able to live a full, complete, and happy life if he chooses. Just like the rest of us.

My neighbor who's in his 70's lost his right arm jumping trains in New York when he was 7. He helps me set up my show every year. He's had quite a life since he parted ways with his arm! This kid will be no different.

Knightmare
07-07-2019, 09:49 PM
The banner on the video says the kid is 12. Like any 12 year old I'm sure he thought it was cool. How he got his hands on a lighter is my question. I'm sure it didn't fall out of the sky along with the unexploded rocket half.

It is a shame that he lost his hand. However, saying his life is ruined is quite an overstatement. He's going to be able to live a full, complete, and happy life if he chooses. Just like the rest of us.

My neighbor who's in his 70's lost his right arm jumping trains in New York when he was 7. He helps me set up my show every year. He's had quite a life since he parted ways with his arm! This kid will be no different.

Some of the news stations falsely reported him being only eight years old here. He is in fact twelve years of age. My apologies for the misinformation there.

As far as the lighter they found this laying on the street while riding their bikes.

I wish whoever was shooting these rockets could have found the dud before children stumbled upon it and were hurt.

As far as his life being ruined it is as far as quality of life goes. He can't do things other children are doing like gaming for example.

This story is very heartbreaking for me personally.