PDA

View Full Version : Plastic wrap Testing

rfgonzo
07-02-2019, 11:09 PM
Look like rain this year for the 4th, so I did some testing tonight on plastic wrap/Cling wrap. I was kind of shocked by the results. For testing I used electric match and four 200g cakes (At it Again) by World class. I shot two at a time on one cue. One with plastic wrap and one with out. On my results the two cakes with plastic wrap shot considerbly lower then the ones without PW. I'm gonna say 20 feet lower. I was extremely suprised by the results. I even had the 5th shot on one of the cakes that only went up like 4 feet.
Is this common with 200g? I usually just tarp my cakes for rain, but I wanted to try PW this year. Is the PW only good with 500G and shells?
I will test agaig tomorrow night and see what happens.

FireworkNewbie
07-03-2019, 09:13 AM
I used plastic wrapping for my memorial day show. I shot shells, 500g and 200g. Nothing had a problem except for the smaller 200g cakes. It doesnt surprise me that At It Again was affected by the plastic. I would say it is fairly common to impact the smaller 200g cakes this way. Maybe plastic wrap all large stuff and tarp 200g cakes? Remove tarp at shoot time...

joed2323
07-03-2019, 09:39 AM
What thickness plastic did you use? Need to use something in and around the 1.0mil or less.

With smaller bore cakes its important to use thin plastic 1.0mil or less, make sure the plastic is pulled tight around the top of the cake as well. A loose bag/plastic at the top of the cake would definitely hinder shooting through the plastic

I would think that the smaller 200g cakes you tested with, cling wrap would be sufficient enough to keep water out of the cake and be thin enough that you can shoot right through it and not notice a loss in height with the breaks

rfgonzo
07-04-2019, 12:03 AM
I'm not sure what the thickness is. It doesn't say on the box. The PW is fron Gorden food service and all it says is All Purpose Plastic Food Wrap. I tested tonight with Bling Bling and this time all was good.

Icooclast
07-04-2019, 04:03 AM
i can't remember who it was, but i made a topic similar to this a while ago and someone showed me something that looked like tin foil going across their shells. i'll try and find the topic.