PDA

View Full Version : Removing paper from cakes

PyroGyro
07-01-2019, 10:00 AM
Looking at the stash thread I notice that some people are removing the paper that is covering the tubes on their cakes. Is this to make clean up easier? Ever have any issues with crossfire/misfire because of this? Do you get anymore height because of this?

Mattp
07-01-2019, 10:07 AM
its all preference... i think most people who do it.. are concerned with the cleanup aspect.. and thats really the only reason... even with the paper removed all the other stuff that comes out still makes a pretty big mess.. some people say not to remove it as it will add a little more weather resistance... and i dont think theres much concern for crossfire by doing this either

joed2323
07-01-2019, 01:25 PM
If you live in a very humid or lots of dew? Removing the top covers, depending on how fast the dew sets in and how much, it can and will get on fuses. I've seen it slow down cakes considerably, atleast that's my experience with dealing with the dew in upper Michigan

Rick_In_Tampa
07-01-2019, 03:43 PM
I do it to save on cleanup. I don't worry about crossfire. I've had cakes touching side to side on 8' boards and I've never had a crossfire issue. As for rain... I either put the cakes in bags and stake them, or glue them to boards and tarp over them. So again, having no paper top is not an issue. If you get the kind of rain we get down here, the paper top isn't much protection anyway.

Mississippipyro
07-01-2019, 06:51 PM
This will be the first year of doing it, for the cleanup benefit.

displayfireworks1
07-01-2019, 07:07 PM
My suggestion is not to remove the cover paper from any 1.3 cake. A spark can land in one of the mortars of the cake and set it off. Look at this video. The crew that built this finale did so in an effort to save clean up. They dog legged it to close and to save cleanup they removed the top paper covers off of the finale boxes that were part of the finale. An ember fell into one of the cake mortars and set the finale off in the middle. The audience never really noticed, but the sponsor of this display sure did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3Ascwn4HzE

bml215
07-01-2019, 08:33 PM
I personally remove the paper top right before lighting. I feel the paper (even though it is just paper) is an obstructions that can cause a deflection or even have enough resistance not lunch the aerial.

PyroManiacs
07-01-2019, 10:15 PM
I personally remove the paper top right before lighting. I feel the paper (even though it is just paper) is an obstructions that can cause a deflection or even have enough resistance not lunch the aerial.

Definitely won't happen my friend. ;)

rfgonzo
07-01-2019, 10:40 PM
I remove only for clean up. I just started removing 4 seasons ago, and I wish I started year ago. I don't use cakes for a finale though, only mortar shells. If I did, I would prob leave paper on.

bml215
07-01-2019, 11:03 PM
Good to know Pyro, myth busted ��

RalphieJ
07-01-2019, 11:17 PM

No freekin' way.

Kooooou
07-02-2019, 12:06 AM
I remove the paper right before firing. Usually, I just run around and slash an X into each cake cover and rip it off cleanly and then fire the show a few minutes later. I've noticed over 20+ years of shooting 1.4g cakes that I've had noticeably less cake fires as a result of this, to the point where I am not running around putting out a fire or 3 during a show anymore. For context though, consider that I fire between 200-400 cakes per show, and all are in very close proximity to others because I do not use any boards.

joed2323
07-02-2019, 01:25 AM
I remove the paper right before firing. Usually, I just run around and slash an X into each cake cover and rip it off cleanly and then fire the show a few minutes later. I've noticed over 20+ years of shooting 1.4g cakes that I've had noticeably less cake fires as a result of this, to the point where I am not running around putting out a fire or 3 during a show anymore. For context though, consider that I fire between 200-400 cakes per show, and all are in very close proximity to others because I do not use any boards.

I had numerous fires last year as well, 2 different times slices and sweeps caught fire.

But your thinking does make sense less paper that can potentially catch fire. Why not

215less
07-02-2019, 01:40 AM
Paper always on. I did in fact have a premature cake firing years ago. Peace of mind.

morrison2951
07-02-2019, 08:43 AM
Paper off for ease of cleaning afterwards as mentioned.

But if you leave the paper on you can tell which cakes didn't fire afterwards with just a glance.

To each his own.

Rick_In_Tampa
07-02-2019, 04:08 PM
But if you leave the paper on you can tell which cakes didn't fire afterwards with just a glance.

With the tops off it's pretty easy to tell which cakes didn't fire too. Just look in the tubes and see if the cardboard plug is still there.