PDA

View Full Version : It's that time of year again

patsy
06-28-2019, 12:03 PM
The days leading up to July 4th always makes me laugh. This is when the news media starts to post there over exaggerated explosive mishaps. What gets me going is they rarely show any real type of consumer 1.4 fireworks. Its always the same half sticks of dynamite taped close to a mannaquins head or yet raw chickens being blown up to an oblivion. Even some of the statistics seem to be way off. I guess they really want to persuade the public with facts about dynamite instead of the real facts regarding the right use of typical consumer grade fireworks.

RalphieJ
06-28-2019, 10:10 PM
A new twist this year is to rig a rocket on a wire (like you would a "pigeon") and have it attached to the head of a mannequin so it strikes directly into the eye socket, then explodes. While we're on the subject of consumer product injuries, number 1 on the CPSC list is bicycles. 45,000 to 50,000 reported accidents annually (many more go unreported), 9,500 serious injuries resulting in 900-1000 deaths. Bicycles. After both my kids had serious accidents riding their bikes, I sold them and bought them each good safety goggles, ear plugs, and a case each of bottle rockets and 1 1/2" firecrackers. Except for setting the front lawn of fire one particularly dry summer, no injuries or incidents.

AxeElf
06-29-2019, 01:24 AM
While we're on the subject of consumer product injuries, number 1 on the CPSC list is bicycles. 45,000 to 50,000 reported accidents annually (many more go unreported), 9,500 serious injuries resulting in 900-1000 deaths.

I've always kind of wondered if cars were invented today, and we could see their obvious benefits, but we knew that they would kill over 3,000 people every day--would cars still be approved for public use?