PDA

View Full Version : weather watch 2019

Mississippipyro
06-27-2019, 05:24 AM
anyone else watching the weather like I am lol, anyone in the mid-south if so how are you felling about the weather for the 4th? in my area we are at a 40% of scattered thunderstorms :rolleyes:

joed2323
06-27-2019, 05:35 AM
Going off of what the weather forecast says this far out is pretty tough to believe. The weather can and will change a bunch of times before then.

I am hoping it drys out before my shoot day. Its has been raining their off and on alot.

Hoping the weather gods are in my favor this year

Probably will try and wrap every thing in bags this year just to be safe since the weather has been all over the place with pop up showers coming out of no where

Mattp
06-27-2019, 07:42 AM
i know it cant be taken for serious yet... but i started looking at it as soon as it was in the 15 day ... LOL

Jay_
06-27-2019, 09:43 AM
30% chance here so far. Talking thunderstorms though.

I’m good with putting trash bags or plastic over my stuff when it’s just rain, but It’s the wind that would create the issues for me.

joed2323
06-27-2019, 11:09 AM
30% chance here so far. Talking thunderstorms though.

I?m good with putting trash bags or plastic over my stuff when it?s just rain, but It?s the wind that would create the issues for me.

I think I am going to do this, this year.

For guys that setup with bagged product. Do you bag before you carry to field or bag in the field?
I am looking for suggestions on what is the easiest for a crew of helpers that will be learning as they go

I want to bag my product when I pull it out of my trailer. It will all be prepped. I guess I should carry to field and into its position first to make it easier.

It would be pretty hard taking bagged product out to the field. I have labels on all product but with black bags the labels would all be covered up making it difficult to figure out where product goes

Rick_In_Tampa
06-27-2019, 11:51 AM
I staked and bagged last year. Everything had a bag around it when I fused the item. Two years ago I waiting until the 4th to put everything in a bag at the shoot site, and it was a disaster. It added many hours to the build. I would highly recommend you bag everything before you take it to your shoot site. I label every initiator/talon with the firing module and cue number (on the module end) and I leave the initiator out of the bag, laying on top of the effect. You can also put a piece of tape on the bag and use a sharpie to label it.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-27-2019, 11:53 AM
anyone else watching the weather like I am lol, anyone in the mid-south if so how are you felling about the weather for the 4th? in my area we are at a 40% of scattered thunderstorms :rolleyes:

Lol... No need to watch it here in the swamp. I can tell you in December what the forecast will be on July 4th. Stupid hot with 100% humidity and 100% chance of afternoon thunderstorms. You can almost set your watch by them.

BeerGuyEd
06-27-2019, 12:03 PM
Lol... No need to watch it here in the swamp. I can tell you in December what the forecast will be on July 4th. Stupid hot with 100% humidity and 100% chance of afternoon thunderstorms. You can almost set your watch by them.

I was asked when I would be setting out my boards a couple of weeks ago, and I replied "After the afternoon thunderstorms are finished."

You have to love that Southern weather.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-27-2019, 12:13 PM
I was asked when I would be setting out my boards a couple of weeks ago, and I replied "After the afternoon thunderstorms are finished."

You have to love that Southern weather.

Yeah if I was smart and efficient and knew I could get everything done in time for a 9pm shoot, I'd do that too.

Unfortunately, I'm none of those things. lol

So all my boards will be tarped and sitting out in the rain again this year. I even posted a video on my You Tube site of the sky pouring all over my stuff a few years ago. It is what it is. :(

BeerGuyEd
06-27-2019, 12:47 PM
Yeah if I was smart and efficient and knew I could get everything done in time for a 9pm shoot, I'd do that too.

Unfortunately, I'm none of those things. lol

So all my boards will be tarped and sitting out in the rain again this year. I even posted a video on my You Tube site of the sky pouring all over my stuff a few years ago. It is what it is. :(

The size of my show makes it a lot easier. I am estimating it will take about 2 hours to setup so I should have plenty of time, though I may use some garbage bags just in case.

DavidthePyro
06-28-2019, 06:14 AM
Got a Chewy box filled with 6 mil plastic for covering stuff. I really don't want to have to do that. Dont know if any of you southerners heard, but Ohio could now be considered the deep south going just by the weather. It's been unlike anything I've seen in my 27 years on this planet.

Robbro097
06-28-2019, 10:20 AM
Got a Chewy box filled with 6 mil plastic for covering stuff. I really don't want to have to do that. Dont know if any of you southerners heard, but Ohio could now be considered the deep south going just by the weather. It's been unlike anything I've seen in my 27 years on this planet.

As another ohio guy i hear ya i was hoping to put a driveway in back to my barn b4 my show this year but cant because its been a freakin swamp (now im just hoping its gonna b dry enough for ppl to drive back without a 4x4) never been like that this time of year. Im wrapping everything in bags. No way i can just hope its going to b dry

Icooclast
06-28-2019, 10:48 AM
it's supposed to rain all week here. :( - but our fireworks are the sat. after the 4th, so let's hope things change

Robbro097
06-28-2019, 11:01 AM
Thats when im planning them Saturday the 6th

DavidthePyro
06-28-2019, 06:58 PM
I have a show in the Akron area on the 4th and my second show is in Middlefield on the 6th. I'm nervous about this year guys. I need to start bagging this weekend I think. This is my first year firing electronically, so I'm a bit overwhelmed trying to plan for attaching the initiators and talons and rain at the same time as a rookie

DavidthePyro
06-28-2019, 07:00 PM
All the while, I have to make sure 150 yards get mowed between tomorrow and Wednesday. The first firecracker on Thursday will be cathartic for sure

cptnding
06-29-2019, 12:17 AM
The size of my show makes it a lot easier. I am estimating it will take about 2 hours to setup so I should have plenty of time, though I may use some garbage bags just in case.

Ed,
Set up in the morning when it's cooler. If you are using boards it easy to cover up with plastic. Home Depot has various widths in the painting section. Use black plastic. Clear will gather condensation underneath. Ask me how I know lol! Doing this allows you to get done early and hang out with company unless you don't want to. About 30 minutes before shoot time remove the plastic if everything looks good and let it fly. If the forecast is looking good you can uncover earlier. As you know I live in the same area and counting on 2 hours of no rain in the late afternoon will bite you in the ass. Set up early and cover well. Trust me, it will greatly lower your stress level even if it doesn't rain a drop. Lots of time to check continuity, look over everything, and relax before shoot time.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-30-2019, 05:52 PM

I grew up in Cleveland. I remember going to school when the wind chill was 70 below. It's nice to hear global warming has finally come to Ohio. The lake is at a record high and the walleye are biting like mad I hear. I'd gladly trade places with you!

I have a pile of tarps in my garage and I went to Harbor Freight and bought 10 more today. Can never have enough of those things. I'm setting my boards out at 9am and there is a 100% chance they will be rained on. I think I'm ready for it. We're about to find out!

Mississippipyro
06-30-2019, 06:29 PM
My weather as on now, not that bad. I’m hoping only a quick thunderstorm about 5 and I can move everything out about 6-7 will have everything prepped in the garage.
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4154&stc=1

BeerGuyEd
07-01-2019, 07:52 AM
Ed,
Set up in the morning when it's cooler. If you are using boards it easy to cover up with plastic. Home Depot has various widths in the painting section. Use black plastic. Clear will gather condensation underneath. Ask me how I know lol! Doing this allows you to get done early and hang out with company unless you don't want to. About 30 minutes before shoot time remove the plastic if everything looks good and let it fly. If the forecast is looking good you can uncover earlier. As you know I live in the same area and counting on 2 hours of no rain in the late afternoon will bite you in the ass. Set up early and cover well. Trust me, it will greatly lower your stress level even if it doesn't rain a drop. Lots of time to check continuity, look over everything, and relax before shoot time.

This is one of those posts that tells you to do something you really do not want to do, but then you realize the person telling you what to do has all the benefits of experience and the wisdom to learn from said experience. Thank you for the advice.

Jay_
07-04-2019, 07:03 AM
Well it came a monsoon here yesterday and dumped almost 3 inches of rain in about an hour yesterday. Since my shoot site is remote and once you get there you have to drive about a half mile through a pasture to get to the spot, I had to postpone until Saturday.

Good luck to you lucky ones getting to shoot today!