PDA

View Full Version : Almost a break and report?

displayfireworks1
06-22-2019, 08:12 PM
I have to admit, when I saw that empty space in those so called 6 inch canister shells, I thought to myself, here is break and report waiting to happen. Any opinions on would that single hole down to the current break, be enough to set off a report above that clay plug? Should consideration be given to the added weight by adding more black powder lift
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4090&stc=1
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4091&stc=1
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4092&stc=1
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4093&stc=1

Jay_
06-22-2019, 08:48 PM
Hell yeah dave, hot rod those cans!

I would assume that you had a little quick match laying around. If it was my project, I would poke some quick match through the hole for a nice complete ignition.

I would consider a lift charge increase. They may be struggling already with all that cardboard.

RalphieJ
06-22-2019, 09:44 PM
Great minds think alike.

displayfireworks1
06-22-2019, 10:02 PM
I'm thinking placing black match into the hole will occlude the hole and prevent the spark from reaching the report charge in time. Without the fuse , when the the first break goes I'm figuring the now added report charge will trickle down that new hole and instantly light at the same time the first break goes. If it goes as planned it will be one large color break and report simultaneously.
Maybe I'm wrong, when the first the break goes it destroys all confinement of the report powder if there is even a slight delay by destroying the entire canister it may not make the boom. If they go at the same time they both destroy the confinement they both need. Remember it is one continuous canister with a clay plug. As opposed to a traditional break and report that are two separate canisters.
More lift charge is in order for sure. What is nice about this project is , they already supplied the end cap.

RalphieJ
06-22-2019, 11:06 PM
Fire one during the day and retrieve the remains. If the plug and casing are intact, go for it!

yoshisbar
06-22-2019, 11:10 PM
You can do this, I have done it with those rockets, they have a space above the plug, you can put a flash bag in the top and when the plug blows it also does the boom, little delay but not too much.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-23-2019, 04:56 PM
After almost getting blown up last year at PGI with that 5" shell, I'm ALWAYS going to be in favor of more lift charge!!

Those ridiculous 6" things you have there look to have plenty of potential for (in my best Tim Allen voice) "more power!"

PyroJoeNEPA
06-23-2019, 07:43 PM
You can add a "traditional" style "insert" [read between the lines a letter and number] that is a self contained report with an end fuse of 3mm visco. Traditional canon fuse burns at 30 seconds a foot, or 2.5seconds per inch, so if you cut the visco at 1inch [allowing another 1/4" to go thru the end cap & glue on the report--your shell should break & light the "insert" which will go off in a little over a second. I would take the lift powder out of one, weigh it with the report installed, then add the proper amount of lift powder [10% of the weight--or less--and it should do what you want it to do.
Just filling it with "happy powder" will not work--like you said,Dave, it will migrate down into the color break and blow everything apart. A flash bag would work--but would be more difficult to position and get good [loud] results with.
Seems like a lot of work for a little gain, but hey, it's what we do, I guess!!!

Kenny East
06-26-2019, 04:07 AM
My double break cans fuse through a small hole punched in the top two cardboard discs. Using either thermalite or fast fuse in a pass fire tube to a slightly undersized 1.75 ball salute. Without a separate casing, it will probably be a loud color break... Probably very sloppy since the flash will blow the stars away from the flash. But it still will probably be cool.

I'm considering a year down to check design construction on a 6" double break consumer canister shell. Wonder how it was made.

chris v
06-28-2019, 10:47 PM
You would have to take a peice of slow visco insert through the hole fill the bottom with hot glue leaving enough fuse uncovered to ignite the flash then glue the top back on

Kenny East
07-11-2019, 05:08 AM
So I preformed a dissection of a consumer 6" double break shell. .. Interesting build, but it makes sense. They cut the main charge down to 24 grams of composition, covered it with two discs with center holes. Then added a cake style insert containing 18 grams of composition over the discs. Shell had 10 grams of bp lift.4272