PDA

View Full Version : Rhode Island newb

gdemos
06-20-2019, 11:54 AM
I'm struggling to get real info on shooting 1.3 in Rhode Island. I spoke with the state bombsquad guy (Bob Mowry) and he suggested i need state license, state permit, layout map, hire firefighters, and $1M insurance policy specific to fireworks which i have quotes for ofer $4,000 very prohibitive for a hobbyist. any knowledge of RI ? -Greg

displayfireworks1
06-20-2019, 12:03 PM
Bob forgot to mention you need an ATF license to purchase 1.3. Give me his number I'm going call him. You may be the first person I ever heard of calling the Bomb Squad. I'm curious when he answered the phone. Did he say Hello Bomb Squad Bob Speaking.

gdemos
06-20-2019, 12:25 PM
Ha! Yes I have the paperwork for ATF ready to send and i spoke w/Bob about that ;). fairly sure i've filled all that out correctly but have not mailed because now im finding this RI State law specific issues.

While my first pass is contingency storage; is it true that with an ATF grade magazine that I can switch to magazine storage on my own at anytime? how does that work?

Bomb Squad Bob was quite cordial, he also made it sound essentially impossible to do this legally in RI unless i was running a business. Bomb squad bob then proceeded to say how grossly aware he is of people lighting stuff off illegally all the time. my biggest hangup right now is the insurance, at $4k / year it is not a wise course for me. i am trying to do this lawfully yet it seems that the laws are beyond prohibitive... licenses, sure, tests, sure, site visits, sure, hiring a firefighter and carrying expensive insurance policies... nah. really looking for state specific insight here.

any RI specific knowledge?

displayfireworks1
06-20-2019, 02:50 PM
I think Bob covered it. If you want to do it full legal.

gdemos
06-20-2019, 03:22 PM
I think Bob covered it. If you want to do it full legal.
perhaps i'm overthinking this...

joewad
06-20-2019, 03:45 PM
Is Bomb Squad Bob related to Fire Marshall Bill ? Sometimes I can't help myself. 4075

gdemos
06-20-2019, 04:14 PM
Is Bomb Squad Bob related to Fire Marshall Bill ? Sometimes I can't help myself. 4075

perhaps this confirms that indeed I am overthinking this?

joewad
06-20-2019, 04:16 PM
perhaps this confirms that indeed I am overthinking this?

Just a bit of levity was intended. He's probably steering you correctly. But it appears your putting the horse before the cart. Get your FEL first.

displayfireworks1
06-20-2019, 06:13 PM
At gdemos... Your searching for an answer because you do not like Sponge Bobs or I mean Bomb Squad Bobs answer. If you calling the local bomb squad for an answer to explosives questions, they are usually going to tell you to stay home and eat potato chips this July 4th. Because in their mind, they are the only ones qualified to do that sort of thing. I taught a class at a fire school once about explosives in a vehicle and crime investigation. The local bomb squad had a fit because they were not invited. Don't call these people.

Jrmiller2015
06-21-2019, 03:59 AM
Hiring firefighters? its easier to just make friends with local departments and officials now mind you i cant speak for your location but where im from most fire departments are volunteer departments anyways we've had the department on location for the last several years and its never cost us anything other than some extra food and drinks and most of them bring their kids.... im pushing to get my ATF license because our show has grown into such a big thing in the community im from that id like to add in certain things i cant buy without it IE Salutes etc and im from ohio where we're technically illegal with just consumer product however most officials will tell you if its being done properly and safely they wont enforce the laws anyways last year the cops parked down the road and watched our show lol so Bob just likes to rain on Pyros parades

gdemos
06-21-2019, 02:18 PM
Hiring firefighters? its easier to just make friends with local departments and officials now mind you i cant speak for your location but where im from most fire departments are volunteer departments anyways we've had the department on location for the last several years and its never cost us anything other than some extra food and drinks and most of them bring their kids.... im pushing to get my ATF license because our show has grown into such a big thing in the community im from that id like to add in certain things i cant buy without it IE Salutes etc and im from ohio where we're technically illegal with just consumer product however most officials will tell you if its being done properly and safely they wont enforce the laws anyways last year the cops parked down the road and watched our show lol so Bob just likes to rain on Pyros parades

I see where you guys are coming from. I was reluctant to drop my ATF application in the mail when i read up on RI statute, like i say, take a test, fine, fill in some forms, fine, $100 for a license, fine; hiring firefighter and $4,000.00 insurance policy just not practical. i'm not charging people, the audience is my friends/family, the 'show' would be all of a few quick minutes in the backyard.

So if my site is my 7 acre wooded property, i've got to keep height relatively low (say 200' or so) to maybe stay out of focus. I'm sure I'm like many here, just trying to have fun, engage a hobby so please be kind. point me to some good starter 1.3 stuff that i'll enjoy? I' want to see what i can get 'away' with