PDA

View Full Version : Buckeye State Checking In!

Trapper99
06-15-2019, 09:53 PM
Just want to introduce myself and say thank you to this wonderful site. I have soaked up a bunch of knowledge in the past but figured it's time to join! Have lived in Ohio all my life except for 2 years in NW PA. Hopefully sometime our state will take a lesson from our neighbors to the east on fireworks.

Just ordered a COBRA and excited to learn more about electronic and scripting a show. I don't have a goal to use this on the 4th upcoming, but would like to do a short 3-4 minute scripted show for my backyard wedding coming up in Sept.

Short term goal is to get the AP certification, and to try and take the next possible class to allow me to get my assistance license here in Ohio. I have talked with my local Assistant Fire Chief who is a License Exhibitor, and he gave me a lot of good info and is willing to help me get licensed. He says after helping with 3 shows he can sign off for me to become a Licensed Exhibitor. Unfortunately, it seems for this year I have missed most of the training classes.

Longer term goal would be type 54, build a magazine on my land, and try and market small pyromusicals to weddings.

Thanks for all the information on here and in advance for answering all the questions I will have!!

displayfireworks1
06-15-2019, 11:35 PM
Welcome to the pyrotalk forums. You are starting out at a nice pace. Once you get that Cobra system in your hands it will open a whole new world in backyard fireworks. Do not let this discourage your forward progress , you are not going to get a magazine approved in the State of Ohio. Last I heard there is a moratorium on NEW explosive storage magazines. But all of your other goals are obtainable.

Trapper99
06-16-2019, 12:07 AM
Welcome to the pyrotalk forums. You are starting out at a nice pace. Once you get that Cobra system in your hands it will open a whole new world in backyard fireworks. Do not let this discourage your forward progress , you are not going to get a magazine approved in the State of Ohio. Last I heard there is a moratorium on NEW explosive storage magazines. But all of your other goals are obtainable.

Thank you! With Ohio the way it is, I plan to do a lot of "dryfire" scripting simulations with the Cobra to practice, and some low/no noise itmes for additional practice before doing the wedding show. I only have two neighbors somewhat close (few hundred yards away) but still want to be courteous. I plan to tell them ahead of time when doing the wedding show!

Well, I did some more research on magazines. I knew there was a moratorium on new manufacturers and wholesalers, which is set to expire this year. I do not see anything that prohibits new explosive magazines and found the state permit application also required, but the kicker is Ohio will not allow licensed exhibitors to store 1.3 or even 1.4 items in an ATF approved magazine. Only manufacturers and wholesalers can utilize an ATF magazine.

I am weeks away from starting my ICF homebuild, and figured I would have enough ICF forms left over I'd be able to build up a magazine. Hopefully one day (soon) our laws get revisited.

displayfireworks1
06-16-2019, 09:29 PM
If you are not in business and only need the magazine as a hobbyist you may be able to challenge it all. The first step is to force the ATF to approve the magazine. My guess is they will verbally tell you all sorts of stuff on the phone about why they are not going to do that. So you do not call them. You just apply on the official application. I keep looking for someone to challenge it in Ohio. If you decide to proceed, let me know. But you absolutely can not be in business.

chriskrc
06-17-2019, 07:09 AM
Welcome to the forum and great to meet you

Trapper99
06-17-2019, 11:14 AM
If you are not in business and only need the magazine as a hobbyist you may be able to challenge it all. The first step is to force the ATF to approve the magazine. My guess is they will verbally tell you all sorts of stuff on the phone about why they are not going to do that. So you do not call them. You just apply on the official application. I keep looking for someone to challenge it in Ohio. If you decide to proceed, let me know. But you absolutely can not be in business.

What is the reason that you can't be in business? Is this cause it brings in the commerce laws of transportation with CDL, HAZMAT endorsement and insurance?

It seems Ohio just assumes that if you have a exhibitors license, it is for commerce. Nothing in the law seems to stop a licensed exhibitor from permitting a backyard show if he likes. I believe I also saw that the Fire Chief can exempt fire crew being on site if he deems the site safe. I did find in the Ohio Revised Code that licensed exhibitors are exempt from the 48hr window for transporting 1.4 products out of state, and that seems to imply they need a place for storage if they can posses fireworks for more than 48 hours?

displayfireworks1
06-17-2019, 12:36 PM
I don't question business regulations. I just advocate for hobbyists. If you are trying to pursue a business even if it for one show. You are going to need to follow all those regulations .

Trapper99
06-18-2019, 11:47 AM
I don't question business regulations. I just advocate for hobbyists. If you are trying to pursue a business even if it for one show. You are going to need to follow all those regulations .

Ah I understand now. I took your "absolutely can't be in business" from post #4 to mean you saw a way to challenge Ohio storage/magazines if for personal use only, but now I understand you meant differently.

Type 54 and magazine would be a ways down the road anyways...need to keep walking before take off running. I really have my fingers crossed Ohio will legalize firing consumer fireworks for Jan 1, 2020. A bill is currently in the Senate, and I am watching it closely. It has had 3 committee hearings already. Two years ago this bill passed the house but stalled in the Senate. Fingers crossed!!!

PYRODAN
06-18-2019, 12:07 PM
Greetings fellow buckeye!

PyroManiacs
06-18-2019, 01:35 PM
Welcome to PyroTalk!

Jrmiller2015
06-19-2019, 01:11 AM

Everyone I've spoken to in regards to Ohio laws has the same opinion on not even trying to get a Magazine approved. I have plenty of land lol just haven't decided if its really worth the Challenge to have the Magazine in the end but I'm also not looking to be in business and keep a bunch of stuff in stock other than short periods of time either.