PDA

View Full Version : Transporting Loaded Racks

BMoore
06-12-2019, 09:45 AM
It seems normal protocol is to load shells into racks and fuse them at the shoot site. I've also heard of loading racks, fusing, then removing the fused flights to re-load at the shoot site. Is there anything inherently wrong with transporting racks pre-loaded? The obvious issue is increased weight, but with consumer shells and 12 shot racks it wouldn't be much. Would also have to cover the mortars or be sure to transport them upright. Beyond that are there any safety issues to consider? It almost seems like it would be safer having the shells transported within the mortars than all together in bulk boxes.

FruitLeups
06-12-2019, 03:39 PM
It seems normal protocol is to load shells into racks and fuse them at the shoot site. I've also heard of loading racks, fusing, then removing the fused flights to re-load at the shoot site. Is there anything inherently wrong with transporting racks pre-loaded? The obvious issue is increased weight, but with consumer shells and 12 shot racks it wouldn't be much. Would also have to cover the mortars or be sure to transport them upright. Beyond that are there any safety issues to consider? It almost seems like it would be safer having the shells transported within the mortars than all together in bulk boxes.

You've read my mind apparently. I am planning to do my big show this year on the 6th about 200 miles south of where I live and I just would not have enough time to get everything set up and fused the same day UNLESS I forego any visitation w/ my family and friends...which I'm not willing to do. My alternative is just what you're asking about - to preload & fuse the racks before driving down there. That also allows me to do it all in the comfort of my cool basement and not out in the heat of a July day.

joeld1212
06-12-2019, 11:48 PM
I've been transporting pre-fused racks for over 20 years. Never a problem. Of course you have to keep them upright,but that's easy.

zalytn
06-20-2019, 03:47 PM
How do you transport them? Personal vehicle or a rental? Do you ever cross state lines? I've been asked to do a private display (consumer grade) in Alabama in 2020 but I don't have time to fuse up the shells the day of and on-site.

displayfireworks1
06-20-2019, 06:17 PM
Maybe I missed it, are you talking about transporting consumer artillery shells or display fireworks shells? I'll also assume this is a personal use display and not a for profit display?

Mattp
06-20-2019, 06:46 PM
Maybe I missed it, are you talking about transporting consumer artillery shells or display fireworks shells??

Yup.. you missed it.. hahaha.. he said consumer shells. In 12 shot racks... personally, I would transport them fused up

displayfireworks1
06-20-2019, 06:49 PM
Can you tell July 4th is approaching and I trying to do 4 things at once.

joeld1212
06-21-2019, 12:32 AM
Through the years, I've transported my pre-fused racks in a pick up, a van and the last few years in a friends
20 foot race car trailer because my show has gotten so big.
I used to cross state lines but haven't for 10 years. No special precautions except for tarping the pick up bed
if their was any chance of rain.

BMoore
06-21-2019, 07:55 AM
Maybe I missed it, are you talking about transporting consumer artillery shells or display fireworks shells? I'll also assume this is a personal use display and not a for profit display?

Yes, I'm just talking about consumer shells and all in-state transport in this instance. I wouldn't consider it with 1.3 shells for a variety of reasons.

PyroJoeNEPA
06-21-2019, 09:53 AM
Pizza Sauce Cans---or any other #10 size can----One of the things I have done in the past is drop the shells, fuse them, then pull them out and coil them neatly in a clean #10 can. 1 can, 1 row of guns. I also put a small piece of quick match with an ematch port on them so anyone in the field can drop the shells & connect a match to them. A piece of "Dave's Magic Tape" on the fuse end identifies Rack Location & Row number. You can do this far in advance and keep the cans with the cans [pun intended] stored for "the big day". Another piece of tape on the can identifies the location where it goes in the field. If you are using a couple hundred shells, this is a huge time saver---and also a good project for a rainy day the month before the show.
On a side note--I got a bunch of large round wooden boxes that cheese wheels come in from one of our local farmers. I paid $2.00 a piece for them! You can put 3 of the #10 cans with shells in each one and stack them as high as you want. Great storage idea. I also use them for cans and ball shells in zip lock bags.

joed2323
06-21-2019, 10:21 AM
I've transported loaded racks and matched cakes for a few years now (all 1.4/1.4 pro only product) I use my 16' enclosed trailer to do so. I also have a cdl with a hazmat, but it doesnt do much when I'm well over 2-3000 lbs worth of pyro and gear.

Just use your head and drive sensible, dont drive it like you stole it