PDA

View Full Version : Sad case of the same shell

tmwjr
06-04-2019, 11:07 PM
I got a case of dominator top shelf shells this year to try something new. I went through 20 of those shells for memorial day, and they were all the exact same shell. All red and green (worst possible scenario for me). Plus I had two of the leader fuses die before even reaching the shells. They were also weak compared to 4 other cases of ball shells. Has anyone had any similar experiences?

Hopefully the rest of the boxes are different. Possibly only 52 more red and green shells to go!

pyromagic
06-05-2019, 12:18 AM
Red and Green shells are the cheapest to make. Thats why sometimes you will see those colors alot in fireworks.

Mattp
06-05-2019, 07:01 AM
i know that quite often the labels on consumer shells are not correct... but were they labeled as being different effects??? i dont know about dominator top shelf.. but it is possible with some brands to buy all of the same effect on purpose.. is it possible you did that not on purpose?? lol

DavidthePyro
06-05-2019, 07:16 AM
Sounds like a 1 inch can that has a ball around it that acts as a sabot, this has been on the rise with ball shells, I didn't buy very many ball shells for that reason this year

Mattp
06-05-2019, 07:57 AM
if you celebrate christmas... you could do a show then with all the red and green!!! lol

PYRODAN
06-05-2019, 12:09 PM
if you celebrate christmas... you could do a show then with all the red and green!!! lol

When life gives you lemons........ lol!!

Mattp
06-05-2019, 12:30 PM
When life gives you lemons........ lol!!

Blow them up!!! lol

tmwjr
06-05-2019, 03:55 PM
I noticed a ring around the top of one of the shells when I was loading them. I had the thought that they were small cans, but I was in a hurry and didn't try to open one up. I'm thinking about opening one up now that I seem to have a bunch of shells that I don't want. The performance was so poor that they won't even make good sky puke for a finally.

The shells are unlabeled and were bought as a standard 6/12 case.

I had the same thought about a Christmas show. Maybe just quick fuse them all to get them out of storage one day. Or randomly put them in shows over the next couple years

I had to go back and rewatch the recording of the show just to make sure I wasn't crazy. Disappointing because I typically like a lot of the dominator products. I love me some Breaking News and their ten shot cakes. I guess I'm done with their shells though.

FruitLeups
06-05-2019, 06:05 PM
My admittedly limited experience with Dominator products has always been great. I'm disappointed to hear they'll put their name on junk shells like that.

jknepp1954
06-05-2019, 09:58 PM
I noticed a ring around the top of one of the shells when I was loading them. I had the thought that they were small cans, but I was in a hurry and didn't try to open one up. I'm thinking about opening one up now that I seem to have a bunch of shells that I don't want. The performance was so poor that they won't even make good sky puke for a finally.

The shells are unlabeled and were bought as a standard 6/12 case.

I had the same thought about a Christmas show. Maybe just quick fuse them all to get them out of storage one day. Or randomly put them in shows over the next couple years

I had to go back and rewatch the recording of the show just to make sure I wasn't crazy. Disappointing because I typically like a lot of the dominator products. I love me some Breaking News and their ten shot cakes. I guess I'm done with their shells though.

If you are up in my neck o the woods - check out our shells. check out this youtube video or our 2019 demos - enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axWhhH87F8s About 7:20 starts the shells

RalphieJ
06-05-2019, 11:22 PM
As was explained to me years ago, when a manufacturer introduces a new product they will produce it in their own facility with their QC people looking over shoulders. After a couple of years, they'll sub out the production of that item to smaller shops to make room for the manufacture of the new items in their line. Less QC at the subcontractors often leads to a poorer product. One item I recall was a stunning 90-shot silver palm that after 2 years became absolute garbage in the 3rd year of production. Hey, just thought of this: Remember when, before the 500 gram limit, most cakes were round and 90-shot, some with salutes every 3rd shot?