PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Tops on Canister Shells

Deanbc
06-01-2019, 01:50 PM
I’ve noticed that more and more manufacturers are adding plastic tops to their canister shells. The fuse runs up the shell and passes through a hole in the center of the cap, probably there to make sure the shell drops all the way down into the tube.
Anyhow, I’m curious and interested in opinions. Would removing the caps have any effect on the performance of the shell?
I’m still finding these caps all over my shoot site and would prefer to remove them if they serve no performance function.
Your thoughts?
Thanks

displayfireworks1
06-01-2019, 05:10 PM
My take on it is they are trying to do a visual fix to the problem of novice users loading the shells in upside down without completed redesigning the entire shells. I suspect the factories have all of this canister tooling setup and adding this piece was the easiest way to go. . I do not see why you could not remove. Remember if you are having people help you load shells and they are new or visiting relatives that sort of thing. Don't assume they know how to load shells. Show them the correct way if you remove that piece.

Frankiefireworks19
06-01-2019, 11:44 PM
I suppose labeling "TOP" on the.....well top of the mortar was just too difficult for anyone other than us pyros.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-03-2019, 02:27 AM
I've got a whole box full of mortars with plastic caps that have fallen off that I have yet to wire up. I don't see any functional purpose for the cap, other than to force you to put the shell in the tube the correct way. Like Dave said, if you take them off, just remember to brief your helpers that the words "This end up" printed on the side of the shell is not just a suggestion.

BMoore
06-03-2019, 07:59 AM
Go ahead and remove the caps. I was worried about this last year so I tested a few with caps on vs. a few with caps off. Absolutely no difference in performance.

Mattp
06-03-2019, 11:14 AM
since those caps have come out..i have never shot a shell with one in..(ok, maybe a few) but they pop right off.. i take them all off when loading..you get an extra inch or two out of the fuse too

Deanbc
06-03-2019, 04:55 PM
Thanks everyone, I’ve been unboxing and removing plastic caps all day. Sometimes I think there is more packaging material and other junk in a box than fireworks!

BMoore
06-03-2019, 05:33 PM
Thanks everyone, I?ve been unboxing and removing plastic caps all day. Sometimes I think there is more packaging material and other junk in a box than fireworks!

I think the packaging may part of the perceived problem of loading them upside down. The average consumer does not do advanced prep work. They open the box when they are ready to shoot. So you have someone in the dark fumbling around with the sleeves. Then they have to rip off the stapled clear plastic usually resulting in 6 shells falling all over the ground. No you have to find your shells and unravel/unknot the visco. All this is being done in the dark while in a hurry to shoot the next shell. If they were packaged more like most ball shells (no plastic and shells oriented correctly with the top face up in the box makes more sense.