PDA

View Full Version : Conflicting Michigan fireworks law

FinnAmerican
05-25-2019, 01:12 PM
I came across conflicting days & hours to light off fireworks in the state of Michigan, on Memorial Day weekend.
According to the Detroit News and Phantom Fireworks, the legal days are the Saturday and Sunday preceding Memorial Day. From 11:30 AM until 11:30 PM.

Now I just called our local police department. And the officer, told me the day before, the day of, and the day after; until 12:00 AM.

Apparently, the police departments information is from the prior fireworks law. Which changed this year. From 30 days to just 12 (or 13 in some years).
The fine for not following the law is $1,000.

wingman
05-25-2019, 04:00 PM
I came across conflicting days & hours to light off fireworks in the state of Michigan, on Memorial Day weekend.
According to the Detroit News and Phantom Fireworks, the legal days are the Saturday and Sunday preceding Memorial Day. From 11:30 AM until 11:30 PM.

Now I just called our local police department. And the officer, told me the day before, the day of, and the day after; until 12:00 AM.

Apparently, the police departments information is from the prior fireworks law. Which changed this year. From 30 days to just 12 (or 13 in some years).
The fine for not following the law is $1,000.

I'd say ignore the media and Phantom. Call the police department back and see if you can get a copy of the ordinance. Never put your full trust in media, and Phantom for that matter.

JoSlicknuts
05-25-2019, 07:39 PM
Phantom and the Detroit News are correct. The PD is, as you said, not up to date on the new law.

Rick_In_Tampa
05-26-2019, 04:39 AM
Call the police back, put them on speaker, and record their answer.

PyroManiacs
06-01-2019, 02:05 AM
Call the police back, put them on speaker, and record their answer.

Even better than having it in writing, good call.

rfgonzo
07-16-2019, 01:59 AM
When it comes to laws IMO, Don't take anyones advice but your own after reseach. The kid working at a firework shop, or the men in blue don't make the laws, so most will just go along with what they are told.
I'll give an example that happend to me roughly 5 or 6 years ago. We were having a block party, and got a block permit to shut down our street for 8 hours during the 4th of July. Unfortuately one neighbor wanted nothing to do with the party and said she will call the police if she here's a single firework cuz of her dog's. I bought 2 movie tickets for her and her husband for that night. Needless to say, she used the tickets and still called the police LOL,
The police pulled up at 11:40 P.M. ( still in their car) and said shut it down and let me see your ID. ( I'm not condoning going against law enforcement, but I also know my rights) So I said, Did I do Something wrong? he said yes! you are shooting fireworks after hours. I responded, No, I can legally shot till midnight. He said no, you can legally shot till 11:30 P.M. I stayed calm at this point and stuck to my grounds and said, I'm not sure where your getting you information? but I got mine at the meeting at City Hall on June 25th. Where you at that meeting also? He said he doesn't need to be at the meeting cuz he knows when the shooting time ends, and told me again to show him my ID. I refused again, and said (did i break the law?) Before he could he could even answer his partner tapped him on the shoulder and said look at this. He looked at his partners cell phone and said(shit! why don't they share this information with us) Obviously the other officer looked up the law and shared the info. I said do you still need to see my ID? he said no, have a good night.
Needless to say that same officer comes back every year cuz the same neighbor continues to call year after year. But now when he comes by, it's to eat some good food and watch the show with the 3 to 4 hundred other people that like to have fun....
My point is, Look up laws yourself.

Kenny East
07-16-2019, 03:47 AM
The newly passed state proposal regarding the days and hours to shoot in Michigan do cut the days back to 12, and limit hours on those days.

That said, local cities, townships, and municipalities are required to formally introduce that as a local ordnance in order for it to affect shooting days and times. Call your local government officials and ask if they have adopted the new for 2019 fireworks proposal.... If the answer is no, then legally your days and times are not restricted.

Courtesy of not shooting in a random Tuesday night at 2am, would probably go a long way with not having your show interrupted. When in doubt, get a permit or letter of permission for a private show on an approved date. If you're in a larger city, they probably have the new proposal on the books.... Smaller locations, highly unlikely.

FinnAmerican
05-01-2020, 05:56 PM
I just got off the phone with my local Police department. I just wanted to see if they were up to date with Michigan State fireworks law. It took them 5 minutes to look it up. They actually gave me the updated legal days.
Last year, when I contacted them, they told me it was the day before, the day of (holiday) and the day after. Until 12:00 am That info. was outdated. It changed in 2019.
I just wanted to make sure, if I for some reason I was to be contacted by the police during my shoot; I wasn't going to get in fined ($1000) for their lack of updated info. on legal days to shoot. Updated from 30 days down to 13 days. Until 11:45pm
Hopefully, they'll inform their patrolmen on the revised legal days.

displayfireworks1
05-02-2020, 08:05 AM
Don't assume when you call the police or any governmental agency with questions you get the most knowledgeable person on the phone. This why I tell people don't call and ask questions , it meaningless. You can't use what they verbally tell you for any kind of defense. Search the website , submit you question in writing or email and request a written response in return.