PDA

View Full Version : 3" Display Rack Question

HardcorePyro
05-21-2019, 06:59 PM
Hello everyone! I'm new to this site and i've been trying to figure something out before I buy my mortars for the 4th.

So i'm going to buy a dr11 mortar rack for my consumer shells, but I have some 3" shells and I can't find a 6 shot rack for the shells that's already built. I am willing to build it myself but if I can save the time that would be good too. Would getting the 12 shot rack from mortar supply work for a 6 shot 3" tubes considering that rack is meant for smaller tubes. I'm sorry if I'm not making sense. I just want someone to point me in the right direction here so I don't screw anything up or waste money.

Thanks everyone!

displayfireworks1
05-21-2019, 07:36 PM
If you want to shoot 3 inch shells just buy some 3 inch mortars. Here are some at pyroboom one of my advertisers.
http://pyroboom.com/products.aspx?name=mortars
Scroll down to see the different size mortars. If you just buying one already build 3 inch mortar rack it going to cost you too much to ship it.
Its either that or your whole message is so confusing I don't know what the hell you are talking about. LOL

HardcorePyro
05-21-2019, 08:27 PM
If you want to shoot 3 inch shells just buy some 3 inch mortars. Here are some at pyroboom one of my advertisers.
http://pyroboom.com/products.aspx?name=mortars
Scroll down to see the different size mortars. If you just buying one already build 3 inch mortar rack it going to cost you too much to ship it.
Its either that or your whole message is so confusing I don't know what the hell you are talking about. LOL
Thanks Dave! I really appreciate the reply. Do you by any chance know a good tutorial on how to build a 6 shot rack for 3 inchers?

d34d3ND
05-21-2019, 09:07 PM
Thanks Dave! I really appreciate the reply. Do you by any chance know a good tutorial on how to build a 6 shot rack for 3 inchers?

Dave, I think what HardcorePyro is looking for is a tutorial/step-by-step or even just wood size to build one himself. Buying the mortars is fairly simple, and PyroBoom has some great prices for all sorts of sizes of mortars. But, what is lacking in many videos, forums, and Google searches is dimensions of building a reasonable rack. Im sure there are some closely guarded industry secrets on how professional companies build theirs, but for hobbyists, this is sorely lacking (or I have bad searching abilities). I was able to find some regulations for California (https://govt.westlaw.com/calregs/Document/I3382A3E0D45211DEA95CA4428EC25FA0?viewType=FullTex t&originationContext=documenttoc&transitionType=CategoryPageItem&contextData=(sc.Default)) but this leaves only 49 other states and no real direction as far as dimensions. Maybe it is just trial and error. Im sure others can chime in and share their thoughts, or if there is already a thread, please point those of us looking for ideas in the right direction.

BMoore
05-21-2019, 09:32 PM
3” racks are easy because a 2x4 is the perfect width for the bottom and sides. Use scrap 1” boards for the top and bottom rails.

d34d3ND
05-21-2019, 09:37 PM
3” racks are easy because a 2x4 is the perfect width for the bottom and sides. Use scrap 1” boards for the top and bottom rails.

Thanks BMoore. Stuff like this is needed. I know a lot of people like to "show off" racks and I love seeing new rack designs. But, it is the simple rack construction builds that need a post of their own. There are many pyro's out there that have put in years of building, testing, and making mistakes. Helping out some of the newer folks, so they can build their own racks and not fall into the "gotchas" that could ultimately become a safety hazard, is paramount.

Mattp
05-22-2019, 05:43 AM
There really isnt a whole lot of blueprints or tutorials out there .. but Theres is a handful of threads in the archives here about that... i also feel if someone is competent enough to build their own racks... figuring out what to do is pretty easy.. just need to know the OD’s of the mortars and do some simple math