PDA

View Full Version : Last night was my first time using an electric firing system...

kxm62971
05-20-2019, 08:14 PM
And I'm hooked! It was just a cheap 12 cue Chinese system, no cobra yet, but the ability to watch my show while setting it off is amazing! A few months ago, I was approached by a long time friend to do a fireworks show for his dad's surprise 60th birthday party. This was the largest show I've ever done so far. Definitely not as much as what some of you guys are used to and the timing of some things was a little slower than I planned on, so there are some gaps, but the audience really enjoyed the show, so I guess that's all that really matters in the end! There was only one hiccup with the electrical system. My finale racks didn't light so I had to hand light those. I'm contributing it to the fact that I forgot to put a piece of quick fuse as a leader and clipped my talon directly onto the main fuse, which was pretty coated. The whole evening I was worried about rain but the storms held off to our west and all we got were bright lightning filling the sky from further away during the entire show. All in all, a really great night and now I'm even more excited for the 4th! Also sorry about the focusing issues during the first few minutes, it gets better!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zxGzvf6qPE

Robbro097
05-20-2019, 08:45 PM
Looks good could tell that rain/storm wasnt too far away. I love e firing more work setting up but so much fun to sit back press buttons and enjoy your work wait til u get in2 mjg igniters and insert them directly into the lift charge press that button and have instant ignition.

Mattp
05-20-2019, 10:21 PM
Dude.. that was your first time using a 12 cue system?? And it went on for 20 minutes.. lol.. great job!!! Alot of nice product in there too.. would you mind sharing your lineup.. especially what was that at around 13:40??.. and ya.. a firing system will forever chamge how you do fireworks.!!!

Rick_In_Tampa
05-21-2019, 01:00 AM
Wow! Very impressive. Doing a 20 min show with just 12 cues is really rather impressive. I really liked the fact that there was a lightning storm in the background. I think it added to the shows effects.

I would definitely be interested in looking at your show setup. It could be just the camera you were using, but it looked like everything was sitting down in a ravine and the breaks were rather low.

kxm62971
05-21-2019, 09:44 AM
Here are some pics of my setup and product. So because I only had 12 cues what I basically had was a one fuse show per pallet and each cue ignited one pallet. I had to set up in a separate location and then transport each pallet individually because it was a surprise and we couldn't set up at the location until right before showtime. After transporting, all I did was re-check connections and then clip on the ignitors.

Matt, I believe the one you're talking about is Comets of the Cosmos by AFW. I really liked that one too!

Rick, you're spot on. There was a slight elevation drop from the audience to the shooting area where we set up in a water way. We were a little limited in where we were able to set up so we didn't trample any of the newly planted corn.

kxm62971
05-21-2019, 09:49 AM
This was the first part of the finale. My plan was to have the mortar racks start about halfway through this board but they didn't fire so I just hand lit those at the end.

Rick_In_Tampa
05-21-2019, 09:58 AM
Awesome! Lovin the milk crate racks. I know they're a sore subject for some folks on here, but that's what I use and I've never had a problem with them. (knock wood). Did you glue everything down or just the tape? If just tape, how did they hold up? Anything come loose and/or tip over? Didn't look like it from the video. I'm going back to boards this year myself. Staking and taping and then wiring into the Cobra mods just took way too long last year.

kxm62971
05-21-2019, 11:26 AM
Yeah this was my first time using milk crates. Actually my first time using reloadable canister shells. I've usually just used cakes. I put pieces of wood down on the bottom under the tubes thanks to some advice I saw here on the forums. I didn't take the time to glue everything down, I just used tape. I know a lot of people would disapprove of that, but I was limited in my time for this. There were even a few cakes I didn't secure at all but thankfully everything stayed upright and there were no issues.

Rick_In_Tampa
05-21-2019, 11:34 PM
Good job. Placing the crates on a hard surface is a must! Using wood in the bottom of the crates is the next best idea. Congrats on a successful show!

Mattp
05-22-2019, 04:44 AM
Looks great... very nice and neat setup.. i think i am going to have to try some AFW products in the future.. i feel that the smaller cakes really need to be staked or glued.. the 500g ones usually have enough weight on their own

morrison2951
05-27-2019, 02:16 PM
Did a 12 cue Chinese firing system last night in the neighborhood for Memorial Day- went 12 for 12 with no duds!

Used 2M red dragons. Looking forward to the 4th! :)