PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks In The Rain

FireworkNewbie
05-20-2019, 11:43 AM
So based on the weather forecast, it looks like I will be shooting in the rain. How does one go about doing this, any tips? Of course a downpour will cause a cancelation, but I think a mild, slight rain is doable, am I correct in assuming this?

Can I cover my boards/cakes/racks in plastic bags and just leave them covered and shoot through them during show? Also, I use cobra, any advice with electronic firing in the rain?

Thanks!

joed2323
05-20-2019, 01:12 PM
Depending on what mil bags you are using. You would want bags that are not extremely thick, 1 mil or less.
Depending on the size cake, you want the plastic to be tight around the top of the cake so the shell shoots straight through it with ease.

Hopefully you can bag all the cakes before you place them in the field. It would probably be alot easier to poke the cakes then bag each cake. All you gotta do is carry out to field and wire into modules.

Where is your crowd going to sit if its raining at shoot time?

BMoore
05-20-2019, 01:39 PM
I bag everything if even the slightest chance of rain. I've shot in some pretty heavy downpours with no major issues. You'll want to bag your cobra modules as well unless you have the cases in which case you can just close the lid. As stated, keep the bags tight on the top. Not only does it make it easier to fire through, but it also prevents water from pooling. The less water you have laying on top of cakes the better because once the first shot fires your protection is lost and you don't want pooled water draining into your cake.

joed2323
05-20-2019, 03:13 PM
I bag everything if even the slightest chance of rain. I've shot in some pretty heavy downpours with no major issues. You'll want to bag your cobra modules as well unless you have the cases in which case you can just close the lid. As stated, keep the bags tight on the top. Not only does it make it easier to fire through, but it also prevents water from pooling. The less water you have laying on top of cakes the better because once the first shot fires your protection is lost and you don't want pooled water draining into your cake.

Bmoore, do you only use black garbage bags or what?

I know if its a hot day and lets say it doesnt cloud up and rain like the forecast called for, anything other then black plastic/garbage bags can and will create condensation

I actually have alot of issues with dew setting in on the grass, when the sun goes down. Pretty crazy how a dew on the grass and on the cakes/etc creates headaches for me. Watching the fusing slow up on cakes and potentially some not light is heartbreaking

FireworkNewbie
05-20-2019, 04:17 PM
So black plastic bags are the way to go?

Rick_In_Tampa
05-21-2019, 01:07 AM
I bag all my cakes every year, and I still cover them with tarps when they're in the field. It's pretty much a must down here in the swamp. Like some others have said, buy the cheapest, thinnest mil bags you can find at Wal Mart. I want to say the bags I use are like .25 mil. They work great. Never had an issue firing through them. They're white by the way.

FireworkNewbie
05-21-2019, 10:31 AM
I did some online browsing and the lowest I could find was .50 mil, would that be too strong in your opinion? Also, would plastic/stretch wrap work as well?

joed2323
05-21-2019, 11:33 AM
I did some online browsing and the lowest I could find was .50 mil, would that be too strong in your opinion? Also, would plastic/stretch wrap work as well?

.50mil is good. I had not problems shooting through 1.0mil bags. As long as you have the plastic bag tight across the top of the cake or tube and not loose you will be fine. The initial lift of the shell will blast right through it like nothing.

If we are talking about those little $2.50 200g 6-7shot budget cakes that might be a different story

FireworkNewbie
05-21-2019, 12:11 PM
Ok, that was going to be my next question... I know those $2.50 200g cakes, yeah... I figured that might be an issue. What about winda 200g cakes such as broken heart, great expectation, bump bear? Those seem to have a bit more force in them.

FinnAmerican
05-21-2019, 04:07 PM
Not looking forward to the rain in the forecast, for Southeast Michigan (Metro Detroit area).

FireworkNewbie
05-21-2019, 07:07 PM
Yup... southwest Michigan here. I plan on a Saturday show, so as of now it is scattered showers... need to learn to shoot in the rain.

displayfireworks1
05-21-2019, 08:03 PM
I have done so many shows in the rain I'm sure I have videos of using plastic and aluminum foil in multiple videos on YouTube. If you use aluminum foil be careful not to get you electric match connections ground out on it. Even Consumer Fireworks will shoot through most thin plastic bags. Be cognizant of water pooling on top of cake bags. Once the cake starts firing the pooled water will start dripping into the now exposed cake and possibly stop the fusing with water.

BMoore
05-21-2019, 09:17 PM
Bmoore, do you only use black garbage bags or what?

I know if its a hot day and lets say it doesnt cloud up and rain like the forecast called for, anything other then black plastic/garbage bags can and will create condensation

I actually have alot of issues with dew setting in on the grass, when the sun goes down. Pretty crazy how a dew on the grass and on the cakes/etc creates headaches for me. Watching the fusing slow up on cakes and potentially some not light is heartbreaking

Yes, black bags are the way to go but I have used white grocery bags in a pinch and never had a problem. I think it’s the clear tarps/bags that really create a greenhouse effect.