PDA

View Full Version : Check These Out.

Deanbc
05-12-2019, 07:30 PM
These little beauties make series wiring a breeze. Just cut your wires to length, no need to strip back the insulation, insert each wire into the connector and use the crimping tool to create a locked watertight connection.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V6ypQhqFsoU

Deanbc
05-12-2019, 07:38 PM
Here is another video specifically showing how to series wire ematches.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LAV3LjnF6RM

displayfireworks1
05-12-2019, 08:18 PM
I'm curious, was you in some sort of medical coma over the last 7 years or so?

nayslayer
05-12-2019, 09:04 PM
Haha, that's funny. Be nice

Deanbc
05-12-2019, 11:26 PM
Sorry, I was just trying to contribute to the forum. Last I checked there are different levels of experience and knowledge represented here.

Icooclast
05-13-2019, 12:15 AM
Sorry, I was just trying to contribute to the forum. Last I checked there are different levels of experience and knowledge represented here.

i don't mean to play devil's advocate, but i agree with you. i haven't heard of those, yet. so, thanks. not sure if i'd ever use them. it's just nice to know as many of your options as possible

cptnding
05-13-2019, 12:32 AM
The common name for these is scotchlok connectors. The 3M brand ones are a bit pricey but you can get really cheap off brand ones on ebay ect. They do not have the waterproofing gel inside the connector. It isn't needed anyway for one use shooting wire connections.

Rick_In_Tampa
05-13-2019, 12:33 AM
Ditto. I've never seen or heard of these before. They look pretty cool. I might order a bag to try them out.

Dean - What's you failure rate with these things? Are they fairly reliable? I envision using them to wire some comets and flame effects. These would save a lot of cutting and stripping and twisting and taping time. If they work.

Thanks for the info!

Robbro097
05-13-2019, 01:26 AM
I've used a version of these (still have some laying around) never any probs with em but the thought never once crossed my mind to use on ematch

Deanbc
05-13-2019, 07:44 AM
I’ve tested about 12 in various wiring configurations/lengths, etc. one test was 5 in series and all fired. I purchased the crimping tool and it squeezes the connector to the correct height, can’t pull the wires apart. I happy that some of you are finding this information useful, that’s what a forum is all about.
Starting to get excited about the 4th.

Deanbc
05-13-2019, 08:06 AM
I’m buying mine (including the gel) for a tad over 3 cents apiece.

Mattp
05-13-2019, 09:55 AM
pretty sure dave wasnt being mean.. just funny... i use these alot on small wire connections.. never thought to use them for pyro igniters.. i would think the wires are too thin.. but guess not!! good idea!!... i also try to be mindful of waste..if everyone used those.. thats alot of small plastic caps to be used once and thrown away.

nayslayer
05-13-2019, 11:41 AM
I bought them on ebay last year and the tool. Used them last year without issue.

PYRODAN
05-13-2019, 12:15 PM
Those are UY connectors. I have used those for several years. Definitely speeds things up. Amazon, has them or a electrical supply house. I buy 1k packages and they are cheap that way. Hey, you are going to use them eventually. The 3m ones are hands down the best. IMHO.

displayfireworks1
05-13-2019, 12:32 PM
Trying to be funny not mean. It's like when someone post that video of that big Taiwan girandola. And says anyone see this? That connector video is 9 years old. As far as I ever saw those never caught on.

Bad Alibi Scott
05-13-2019, 10:58 PM
I also used these last year and they work great. Not sure if it saves a lot of time but does seem to hold the connection tight and secure. Amazon has several different brands to choose from and different amounts as well.

cptnding
05-13-2019, 11:48 PM
Rick, I've used them for series wiring for a couple of years and they work great. Never had a problem. I've used as them to wire as many as 9 MJG matches to hit every tube in a Nishiki NOAB at once and had them series wired with 4 matches and 75' of scab wire on fuel mines. I use Cobra mods with lipo batteries so if you are using 9v results could be different.
Mostly I use them to series wire 3-4 200g cakes in one position or for 5 shot fans for mines or canister shells.
They were primarily designed for the telco industry and technology has moved on at this point. As a result there are lots of crimp tools and connectors (3M and chinese) on ebay for cheap.
To me they are an inexpensive time saver.

Stormcrow
05-13-2019, 11:50 PM
Just use a soldering gun to connect and hold wires. Doesn?t take long and inexpensive.

Rick_In_Tampa
05-14-2019, 01:17 AM
A soldering gun?! OMG... I don't have time to scratch my ass with all the wiring I have to do before the 4th. There's no way I have time to solder all those wires. If a few twists and Dave's magic tape don't do it, then I guess I'll have extra to shoot next year.

PyroJoeNEPA
05-14-2019, 10:42 AM
I have used--literally- many, many thousands of the both the UR & UY connectors over the years both for use in professional audio sound system installations and for pyro. All the one shots we fired in our PGI shows in both 2013 & 2016 had the UY connectors feeding scab wire to our Fire One rails. They work perfectly---if you install them correctly! They have saved countless hours of troubleshooting twisted wires coming apart.
I agree there are always "new people" discovering "new [or to some of us, old] things" that might be old to some of us....but that is ok. Knowledge is a good thing.