PDA

View Full Version : Cobra DMX Integration Full Test - Moving Heads, Lasers, Flame Machines

esgrillo
05-03-2019, 10:09 AM
Ran a full test last weekend for the DMX portion of my fireworks show. Been working on this set-up for a while as you may have seen in some other posts but this is the first time I had everything in place including my regular audio system.

Overall it went pretty good. There will be some smoke going off during the show so the lasers and moving heads will be easier to see (with nothing to reflect off, a little hard to see in the video) and I need to adjust my flame units some but nothing that can't be managed.

Was able to start this with the Cobra 18R2 which has been my goal. My basic set-up:

- Cobra audiobox with regular sound track on one channel and LTC timecode audio on the other
- Regular audio feeds to mixing board for all audio outputs
- LTC timecode feeds to Rosendahl MIF4 to convert to MIDI which is needed to trigger the DMX script
- MIDI output plugs to laptop via USB so my CompuShow SDE DMX software sees it as a MIDI trigger feed
- CompuShow SDE has full timeline scripted program I wrote using same soundtrack I am using for fireworks
- CompuShow SDE DMX dongle feeds DMX output to all the field devices
- Both firework script and DMX script starts when 18R2 starts audiobox music

Some tweaking to do as I said but it should all work. More stuff to set up on set up day lol. Sorry for the video quality, not the best. (youtube police flagged ACDC so I had to silence, I have full audio version on Vimeo here: https://vimeo.com/333253120 )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcPjSA2VFHk

joewad
05-03-2019, 10:15 AM
Impressive, well done sir

Big Worm
05-03-2019, 12:07 PM
Man everything really is bigger inTexas! Can't wait for this show.

Rick_In_Tampa
05-06-2019, 12:59 AM
If you keep this up you're going to need to install bleachers and contract with food vendors to sell popcorn and hot dogs to all the spectators during your shows!!

Awesome job bud. As usual. ;)

PYRODAN
05-07-2019, 12:25 PM
Every time I start to think "Man, my show this year is going to be awesome!" I see a post from Ed....... I'll just get back to the field with the rest of the pyro peasants!

esgrillo
05-07-2019, 11:17 PM
Every time I start to think "Man, my show this year is going to be awesome!" I see a post from Ed....... I'll just get back to the field with the rest of the pyro peasants!

lol.... I don't know why I do this to myself... more stuff have problems with and set-up day is going to be rough. ;)

Rick_In_Tampa
05-07-2019, 11:53 PM

So true Dan. So very true. Ed is like salt peter for the rest of us. But hey.... I give the man his due!! He's definitely got it going on over there. Inspiration for me that's for sure.

Rick_In_Tampa
05-07-2019, 11:55 PM
lol.... I don't know why I do this to myself... more stuff have problems with and set-up day is going to be rough. ;)

You know why you do it Ed. You love it!! Got to push it to the next level every year. But seriously.... I have no idea how you're going to top this one next year! What's left? Holograms??

Robbro097
05-07-2019, 11:57 PM
I cant wait to see how awesome this is going to look with pyro/smoke your even going to put the smoke to use that pisses off most us pyros freakin amazing

PyroJoeNEPA
05-08-2019, 08:58 AM
Ed, you never cease to amaze me. You are taking the term "backyard pyro" to its ultimate. Awesome job my friend!!!

esgrillo
05-08-2019, 09:20 AM
Ed, you never cease to amaze me. You are taking the term "backyard pyro" to its ultimate. Awesome job my friend!!!

Joe, thanks. Your help has moved this process along for sure especially on the audio. I am replacing my maze of scab wire I had in previous early years at my shoot site with DMX cable and power cords lol.

Crush630
05-08-2019, 03:19 PM
Nice work! I have a few suggestions on lighting to enhance it, I worked in lighting and design. What brand and model moving heads and lasers?

PYRODAN
05-09-2019, 12:28 PM
I have nothing but respect Ed and his efforts. I know how much work goes in to my show. That is a huge undertaking. He should be proud of his show. It is basically a pro show in his back yard. Safe shooting Ed! And I will be looking foreword to watching your show.

esgrillo
05-09-2019, 02:54 PM
Nice work! I have a few suggestions on lighting to enhance it, I worked in lighting and design. What brand and model moving heads and lasers?
The rotating heads are Chauvet 140SR Hybrids and the lasers are Xstatic IKE RGB X-LRGB326.