PDA

View Full Version : firefly VS cobra

Icooclast
05-03-2019, 08:01 AM
have any of you used it before? if so, which is better? to me it seems like cobra is better (haven't used either) but i don't like how you have to have a specific phone (they don't talk about any other way to fire the clips) but if i understand correctly the clips are reusable?

so, since i've heard so many good things about cobra, and they appear to be true, i just wanted to get some info from those who have used and/or have firefly

i've also heard of people reuse the cobra talon igniter fuses 2 or even 3 times. is this possible or even safe?

thanks in advance

ARK_PYRO
05-03-2019, 08:53 AM
Good morning, I've used both and own Cobra. I would be safe to say that the comparison between the 2 are not apples to apples. Cobra is in a different class (superior) compared to Firefly.

jamisonlm3
05-03-2019, 09:38 AM
The Cobra is a professional firing system. The Firefly is neat, but it's more of a toy. I don't know why they didn't integrate a lithium battery into it, but went with big heavy alkaline D cells and 8 of them amazingly. I don't see why reusing the talons wouldn't be safe. As long as the nichrome wire hasn't been damaged and it still worked, but I'd worry about their reliability.

Icooclast
05-03-2019, 11:52 AM
The Cobra is a professional firing system. The Firefly is neat, but it's more of a toy. I don't know why they didn't integrate a lithium battery into it, but went with big heavy alkaline D cells and 8 of them amazingly. I don't see why reusing the talons wouldn't be safe. As long as the nichrome wire hasn't been damaged and it still worked, but I'd worry about their reliability.

yeah, my jaw dropped (seriously) when i read 8 "D" batteries, and i could tell the cobra looked better on paper, just didn't have any hands on experience.in theory(it could fire more cues and had another way to fire besides phones) i figure it can fire more cues because if i counted right: only 15 cues can be used with each box on firefly. yet with the 18M using all 4 igniters that they say will launch putting it on a single cue (if what i'm reading is right) then placing 4 talons on a single cue would give you around 72 talons going off of one 18M. or am i mistaken?

Bung
05-03-2019, 12:03 PM
Cobra! walks all over Firefly, big time in terms of what it can do compared to FF.

Deanbc
05-03-2019, 02:46 PM
Cobra for me is hands down the best. No comparison in terms of quality components, expand ability and not to mention world class customer service.
I wouldn’t trust Talons to fire multiple times. I’ve had too many problems getting them to fir even the first time.

Robbro097
05-03-2019, 03:12 PM
I have to recommend cobra the ammount u can fire per cue is far superior iv never paid attention to what its capabilities r with talons as im an mjg person (highly recommend instant ignition is amazing) cobra also allows you the ability to use diff batteries 9v the 14.sum lithium 12v external or even 24v external they say the 24v ext can fire as many as 20 ematch wired in series off a single cue, thats serious firepower

jamisonlm3
05-03-2019, 04:00 PM
yeah, my jaw dropped (seriously) when i read 8 "D" batteries, and i could tell the cobra looked better on paper, just didn't have any hands on experience.in theory(it could fire more cues and had another way to fire besides phones) i figure it can fire more cues because if i counted right: only 15 cues can be used with each box on firefly. yet with the 18M using all 4 igniters that they say will launch putting it on a single cue (if what i'm reading is right) then placing 4 talons on a single cue would give you around 72 talons going off of one 18M. or am i mistaken?It's kinda crazy isn't it? I'd think more of it if it had an 18650 or something and was $50 cheaper. They could slap "Lithium-Ion" on the box and that'd go along with the marketing. It'd be very cheap to do to. Still, it's novel in a way, but at that price, I'd could buy two chinese 12 cue systems, batteries and a bunch of MJG igniters.

They say the Cobra can do 4 talons in parallel at once on a single cue. They have a video up of them doing it and I don't doubt them. The cheap 12 cues systems like mine can do 2. I can't find the video where I saw it, but I wouldn't do anymore. To be fair, the firefly can probably do the same, but you'd have to mod it since they use a small power jack for the igniters.

Rick_In_Tampa
05-06-2019, 12:55 AM
Cobra for me is hands down the best. No comparison in terms of quality components, expand ability and not to mention world class customer service.
I wouldn’t trust Talons to fire multiple times. I’ve had too many problems getting them to fir even the first time.

What Deanbc said x-100!!

MontanaMike
05-09-2019, 03:09 PM

Talons don't fire multiple times, they are a single-use item.

I've used them in all our shows starting in 2015 and have never had a failure yet except on one roman candle with a very short fuse. But the instant-fire from the MJG's makes them the better choice....we're switching to MJG initiators this year.

3 Fingers
05-10-2019, 03:16 PM
As others here have mentioned, Cobra is the top of the line option.
Regarding your question about talons...these are not reusable items.
You use them one time and that's it. Similar to ematch or MJG Ingnitors.
You cannot re-use ANY of these.

Crush630
05-13-2019, 12:09 PM
Any Cobra deals coming up? I would be interested in buying a kit deal.

nayslayer
05-13-2019, 01:04 PM
Have you looked at the P1200 control desk?

Icooclast
05-13-2019, 04:12 PM
Have you looked at the P1200 control desk?

not sure who this it to, but i have. everyone here made a case for getting a cobra instead. and i have to say; after doing the research and watching their walk-through vids on how to use cobra on youtube, i'd say they're right. to be honest, cobra looks very intimidating when you don't know much (all those buttons and hookups, etc.) but watching those vids really helps make it seem not so hard to learn.

nayslayer
05-13-2019, 07:19 PM
I'd agree Cobra is the bee's knees. But for p1200 with 24 cues for under $100, isn't a bad way to start.