PDA

View Full Version : Artillery shell lead fuse

FireworkNewbie
04-26-2019, 04:47 PM
So I want three (fanned) artillery shells to go off at the same time. I do not feel comfortable removing the lead fuse of each shell and messing with the lift charge.

So.... Would I get the same (nearly same) results if I was to cut the lead fuse to each shell down to only an inch and then tape messsured out quick fuse to each and ignite all three quick fuses at same time. Hope I explained my planned method well...

displayfireworks1
04-26-2019, 07:03 PM
With Consumer Fireworks artillery shells , even if you get all 3 of them to lift at the same time, there is no guarantee they will break at the same time. They are not made to those exacting specifications. For that you may need to move into the Articles of Pyrotechnics and a firing system. When you use fuse to wire you shows, is the fuse longer than your arm?

joed2323
04-26-2019, 07:14 PM
I know you said you do not feel comfortable replacing the leader fuse

It is a very easy and straightforward thing to do.
The leader fuse literally pulls directly out of the canister shell.

All you need to do is reinsert your "quick fuse", make sure you measure the exact same length of fuse for all 3 shells.

Using quick fuse will get your timings exactly the same or pretty much very close to getting all 3 shells to break st once

tmwjr
04-26-2019, 10:28 PM
Closest I've gotten is by replacing the lead fuse with quick fuse in fanned racks. Also using a firing system. They mostly lift at the same time, but they don't always break at the same height or time. It's random. Then you have to contend with shells being unlabeled or mislabeled, which leads to different breaks. It's not terrible but it's not ideal either. Its less noticeable if you're shooting them in a busy section of your show.

FireworkNewbie
04-27-2019, 06:17 AM
Ok, this all makes sense. So what is being mentioned is the inner fuse burn rate variance, the one that travels between the lift charge and burst charge, correct?

I will take that into consideration and not demand perfection at this time, much more to learn and of course training. So if I do choose to remove lead fuse, do I need to use that copper tool at all, or am I just simply replacing fuses? I'm assuming tape at the point of entry as well, correct?

joed2323
04-27-2019, 07:51 AM
90% of the time depending on the shell used. Generally the artillery fuse just pulls right out of the shell with ease.

Most times the hole is big enough where you do not need to enlarge it any to reinsert the quick fuse into the lift charge hole.

I have ran across a few where i needed to pull out my brass awl just to open the hole up enough to insert the quick fuse. Sometimes the cardboard covers up the hole when you pull out the old leader fuse, basically all you are doing here is moving the cardboard back out of the way to allow the quick fuse to slide into the lift charge far enough.

It is time consuming but i refuse all my shells for my finale. I do not like the sporadic timing of the stock fuse that comes with the canister shells.

I use quick fuse to get the shells up in the air fast and pretty much all at the same time

hatsgoods
04-27-2019, 08:32 AM
heres some fusing videos I've done in the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccbos5npppw&t .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJApRtZ37u0&t .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbnEEQZ1VMU .

Amaturepyro
04-28-2019, 02:50 PM
Id say tie all three fuses to all three shells into one with one piece of leader fuse into that 3 tie bundle. Lite the leader, which should ignite all three shells fuses at once. Should lite all three fuses at the same time which might send them up at once or with very very minimal time lapse

Rick_In_Tampa
04-29-2019, 12:32 AM
Get out of your comfort zone. That's what this forum is all about. Learning new tips, tricks, processes, procedures to advance our pyro skills and make our hobby more enjoyable and more safe!

As most have already said, removing the fuse and replacing the fuse is a pretty straight forward thing. The brass awl will NOT ignite the lift charge, so there's nothing to be worried about there.

Pull out the old, insert the new, tape it over. Done. If it takes you more than 1 min you're wasting time.

FireworkNewbie
04-29-2019, 06:38 AM
I'm excited, I will take a step out of my comfort zone. I'm sure it won't be too difficult, and once I finish and it works as expected... I will have learned yet another pyro skill!

Wish me luck!

PYRODAN
04-29-2019, 12:10 PM
Oh, don't do it at your kitchen table!