PDA

View Full Version : MJG Igniters

PyroBrad1
04-25-2019, 09:26 AM
After seeing a post on Facebook by DisplayDave about the accidental firing of a MJGigniter during a presentation or demonstration it made me ponder the safety and use protocol for these items. I went on the MJG igniter site and didn't see a step by step discussion of how to use the product safely. Does anyone have a link to the proper way of using the shunted igniter with either consumer or consumer pro type fireworks.? I have seen some you tube videos of people using a poke and taping in the igniter into the lift portion of the first shell. The question that comes to mind is what is the best practice for installing the igniter. Should it only be placed in the firework onsite and never pre-installed indoors? If you test the wires for continuity due you run the risk of setting the igniter off considering the episode with DisplayDave at Cobra-Con?

Pyro Dave
04-25-2019, 10:31 AM
It has always been best practice to only insert the ignitor on site. It should be treated exactly like an ematch. You also want to keep the wire ends shunted( both ematch wires twisted around each other) until you are ready to plug in the wires.

Testing for continuity does pose a very small risk of setting off an ematch. Testing continuity should be treated exactly the same as arming a system to fire. People should be aware the test is happening and be out of the "danger zone" while you test.

kevinwetzel
04-25-2019, 08:57 PM
This may be part of what your looking for.

https://www.76fireworks.com/_lib/files/Firewire_Ignitors___SDS.pdf

Rick_In_Tampa
04-29-2019, 01:46 AM
As Pyro Dave indicated the best practice is to fuse your effects on site. As for fusing your effects, most pro-line effects come with a port specifically for initiators. Fusing these effects is pretty straight forward. Insert the initiator into the port and tape it over so it won't pull out. I always apply a second piece of tape about 6" above the insertion point to act as a strain relief in case someone pulls on the wire.

On cakes with no port or other effects with no port you use a bras awl. Personally, I cut the visco fuse before I "poke" the cake for the initiator. Some leave it as a "backup" and poke a hole above the fuse. When you feel the awl touching the lift charge, stop! Then insert the initiator and tape it over as described above.

My $0.02.