PDA

View Full Version : Repairing Rockets?

jamisonlm3
04-21-2019, 07:06 PM
I was given a pack of rockets with broken sticks. All but a few are broken in the middle. Is there a recomended way to repair them? I'm thinkng of matching the broken pieces together and putting a drop of wood glue on them. Afterwards, I might reinforce the break area with with a couple of wraps of paper saturated with wood glue.

Bung
04-21-2019, 07:31 PM
Fast drying wood glue will be fine provided you can get a perfect match. I'd be wary of adding paper saturated with glue as that merely adds weight. Might be worth getting some sticky foil instead. Lighter and stronger, plus it wont get burnt off by the motor during flight.

jamisonlm3
04-21-2019, 08:09 PM
I was thinking wood glue alone would be enough. It's strong stuff. Should I be very worried about weight? These aren't powerful rockets by any means. Nothing like the ones you guys over there can get. I don't plan to use anymore than 2-3" long by 1-2" wide strip of paper to reinforce the area. Just enough to go completely around the stick and stick to itself.

displayfireworks1
04-21-2019, 08:36 PM
If you repair those rocket sticks just be sure you don't have an audience. If you have an audience you where those rockets will fly. Right at them. LOL

wingman
04-22-2019, 02:20 AM
If you repair those rocket sticks just be sure you don't have an audience. If you have an audience you where those rockets will fly. Right at them. LOL

I know this all too well! Several years ago, I repaired a large rocket with a new stick - well glued and perfectly parallel on the motor. Aimed it directly towards the lake just a foot from shore. At least 15 miles of water to the left, front and right of me. What happens? It takes off, does a boomerang maneuver and winds up in our neighbor's yard. I never fixed a rocket since then!

Bung
04-22-2019, 03:47 AM

That would certainly happen if they are in a rack whereby the stick is touching the ground and taking the weight of the rocket head - joint movement. However, if the rocket head is resting on the rack, all should be good to go. I have repaired rocket sticks in the past and encountered no problems. Need to bear in mind that wind direction is an issue with rockets though. Also, why sticky foil is best used, as hardly any extra weight and will take what the rocket motor throws out.

Bung
04-22-2019, 03:52 AM
brrrrrrrrp

Bung
04-22-2019, 03:53 AM
I know this all too well! Several years ago, I repaired a large rocket with a new stick - well glued and perfectly parallel on the motor. Aimed it directly towards the lake just a foot from shore. At least 15 miles of water to the left, front and right of me. What happens? It takes off, does a boomerang maneuver and winds up in our neighbor's yard. I never fixed a rocket since then!

Sounds like it lost the replaced part of the stick for that to happen.

Rocketshooter
04-22-2019, 11:04 AM
Just use a little masking tape. Remember that the stick is there only to stabilize the flight. I have repaired many broken sticks in this way without any problems.

Rick_In_Tampa
04-22-2019, 11:40 PM
Last two PGI conventions had 2 accidents where something hit the audience. First one was a girandola (which I'm told is Italian for "Which way to the crowd?") and last year a rocket motor hit some gal sitting in the stands in the face. Neither wound up being too serious.