PDA

View Full Version : Hello from IL (Chicago-area)

d34d3ND
04-20-2019, 04:32 PM
Emailed said I need to post so I figured I would say hello. Been around the forums for a little bit but I enjoy reading more than talking. I enjoy all sorts of pyro but mainly trying to follow the law and get my Type 54. Had my interview back in July 2018. Had a few follow-ups from the FBI check between then and November 2018 due to IL court system not knowing how to write down an outcome of court case when I was 18 (yes, 20+ years ago). Thats for another topic though. Anyways, still waiting now since November of 2018. I was told the FBI is backed up 5-7 months right now due to government shutdowns, and pushing through the stacks of FOID requests. Conceal-carry for IL, among other places just came up on the 5 year mark where they have to renew. So, heads up to anyone renewing their 54 license, ATF just told us at a recent seminar I attended to get your renewals in early.

Anyways, I am a card-carrying IL explosives user for now and one day I will get that 54!!!

displayfireworks1
04-20-2019, 06:48 PM
Thank you for posting and letting us know your situation. From my experience working with ATF applicants in that greater Chicago area. What ever catchment ATF office is associated with that area , they do more to talk people out of the license than help them. But at that same time i understand their concerns . I'm sure you heard some of it if you attend that recent meeting they had. There is a big problem in Chicago not only with people shooting each other on a regular basis. There is big problem with illegal 1.3 sales to non licensed people.
With that State of Illinois Explosive User certificate , curious if your work professionally in pyro. If so please do not state the company. If you do work in pyro professional , that should help clean up some history you may have.

PyroManiacs
04-21-2019, 07:50 AM
Welcome to PyroTalk!

Hopefully everything works out for you.

d34d3ND
04-21-2019, 10:16 PM
Thank you for posting and letting us know your situation. From my experience working with ATF applicants in that greater Chicago area. What ever catchment ATF office is associated with that area , they do more to talk people out of the license than help them. But at that same time i understand their concerns . I'm sure you heard some of it if you attend that recent meeting they had. There is a big problem in Chicago not only with people shooting each other on a regular basis. There is big problem with illegal 1.3 sales to non licensed people.
With that State of Illinois Explosive User certificate , curious if your work professionally in pyro. If so please do not state the company. If you do work in pyro professional , that should help clean up some history you may have.

Yeah, their is a lot of "talking you out of it" from the ATF and the State, but that it just as you said, "there is a big problem with illegal 1.3 sales". You would not believe the aerial displays around here on the 4th. It is absolutely insane, and willing to bet that 98% of them are not legal. Such a shame since it only hurts those of us that want to do thing properly, legally, and safely.

No, I am not with any company. I sort of wanted to venture off on my own and get "legal", just to go through the process. I guess I enjoy pain, lol. Maybe I am taking the wrong approach at this, but with a family and already a good full-time job, I was not sure how lucrative (or realistic) it would be to switch to a new profession this late in my career. I want to learn, hopefully make some connections, and not be inhibited by any barrier (getting licensed through the state or federal).

d34d3ND
04-21-2019, 10:23 PM
Thanks PyroManiac. I am sure it will. It's funny, you dont know what is on your record until 20+ years later. The items that were, they were all misdemeanor offenses that were dropped. Heck, I have not even had a moving violation in 20+ years. Imagine my shock when they said that there were was something on my record. Me and the State of Illinois DNR Mines and Minerals department (that's who you get the Illinois license through in case anyone reading needs to know) became very friendly. I wont mention any names, but I worked with a wonderful lady from Springfield, IL who went through the IL lawyers and were just as baffled as I was that this was still on my record. Needless to say, I have since had it expunged because it should not have been there in the first place.

I will definitely keep everyone in the loop on the progress. Heck, my contingency storage letter may need to be renewed before I get my 54 at this pace!!!!