PDA

View Full Version : Cobra-Con Attendees

Deanbc
04-16-2019, 10:05 PM
Cobra-Con is now less than a week away. I’m excited to attend. Anyone else from this Forum Group attending?
The final night sounds like it will be a blast, they now have 5 Pyromusicals set up.

CMiller
04-21-2019, 04:33 PM
I'll be going

displayfireworks1
04-21-2019, 08:30 PM
I'm at the Saratoga New York Hilton now. Watching the Motown special on CBS. I usually don't watch much TV but I'm stuck in this hotel room. Registration starts tomorrow .

Rick_In_Tampa
04-22-2019, 01:10 AM
Stuck at the Hilton... You're breaking my heart Dave.

There must be a nice warm bar somewhere close.

displayfireworks1
04-23-2019, 05:21 PM
Still at Cobra Con. A most interesting thing happened in my fusing class. An MJG Initiator ( don't say electric match) went off. I was showing someone in the class how to connect the match in series using wire as an example and it went off. I reviewed the incident with Jeff from MJG who also happens to be at the convention. As best we can determine it was static electricity. I was wearing a polyester polo and the match with cover still intact touch a plastic chair surface. We came to this conclusion because the match still test good on continuity via a Cobra system. Jeff from MJG now has the match and will look at it through a microscope. I do not have the event on video but it was witnessed. In all my years of using electric match of any type this is the first time I witnessed this. Jeff said I was lucky because when this happens, you are usually not around to tell the story. To review, the shroud was on the match head, however the wires were not shunted. Jeff and I reenacted the event on video to memorialize its occurrence in the classroom and surrounding. You hear us describe it when I release my video. The product was a MJG Firewire Initiator.

Robbro097
04-23-2019, 05:30 PM
I know iv always heard static can ignite them (hence shunting the wires) but have never actually heard from some1 its happened to. I may experiment rubbing a balloon on my hair and c if i can get 1 to go. Good thing it happened in a class setting and not the field.

Bung
04-23-2019, 05:32 PM
Still at Cobra Con. A most interesting thing happened in my fusing class. An MJG Initiator ( don't say electric match) went off. I was showing someone in the class how to connect the match in series using wire as an example and it went off. I reviewed the incident with Jeff from MJG who also happens to be at the convention. As best we can determine it was static electricity. I was wearing a polyester polo and the match with cover still intact touch a plastic chair surface. We came to this conclusion because the match still test good on continuity via a Cobra system. Jeff from MJG now has the match and will look at it through a microscope. I do not have the event on video but it was witnessed. In all my years of using electric match of any type this is the first time I witnessed this. Jeff said I was lucky because when this happens, you are usually not around to tell the story. To review, the shroud was on the match head, however the wires were not shunted. Jeff and I reenacted the event on video to memorialize its occurrence in the classroom and surrounding. You hear us describe it when I release my video. The product was a MJG Firewire Initiator.

Never heard of anything like that happening before. Must have been a freak 1 in 10 million event :eek:

Rick_In_Tampa
04-24-2019, 12:50 AM
According to one website I was on (livescience.com) a static discharge can be between 20,000 to 25,000 volts! As far as amps are concerned, the best info I could find suggests that on average, (based on MANY variables) that voltage translates to about 3 amps for just a few milliseconds during discharge.

I believe an initiator requires 1 amp for 100ms to fire. So it does seem unlikely that a static discharge would set it off.

displayfireworks1
05-05-2019, 08:19 AM
My Cobra Con videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdWxhWOPZ2s
Here is the one I had the most fun with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G_vORMVXIY

Robbro097
05-05-2019, 03:39 PM
I hope its a little closer to me and they announce date/location prior to theyr blackfriday sale so i can plan my orders and pick up my order then with that great cobra con discount