PDA

View Full Version : Wildcat Cartridges

DavidthePyro
04-13-2019, 05:46 PM
Anyone heard of the Wildcat Cartridges canister shells? Spirit of 76 has some videos, but I was wondering what the consistency of lift is on the shells, the breaks seem to be pretty balanced and looks like it's worth getting at least a box, maybe a case if they perform well

joed2323
04-13-2019, 09:53 PM
Anyone heard of the Wildcat Cartridges canister shells? Spirit of 76 has some videos, but I was wondering what the consistency of lift is on the shells, the breaks seem to be pretty balanced and looks like it's worth getting at least a box, maybe a case if they perform well

They look legit man...

Definitely seem consistent, I believe this is the first year of these shells and that's a bonus,. Usually first year product tends to be superb

Are you planning on showcasing them or what? I tend to puke shells all at once so for me these would be pointless for this purpose. If I didn't puke these are on top of my list

DavidthePyro
04-14-2019, 07:03 AM
They look legit man...

Definitely seem consistent, I believe this is the first year of these shells and that's a bonus,. Usually first year product tends to be superb

Are you planning on showcasing them or what? I tend to puke shells all at once so for me these would be pointless for this purpose. If I didn't puke these are on top of my list

I'm going to buy a box, I'll demo them for you a few days before and upload a video. They look phenomenal

Big Worm
04-14-2019, 12:32 PM
I think last year was the first year for these. I've heard they are good, but i've only tried the Super Novas (nice 4 in can) so i'm not for certain.

jknepp1954
04-14-2019, 06:22 PM
With so many 4" and now 5" shells - so many to choose from - just go with what is available at a decent price in your area.

NWA_Fireworks
04-15-2019, 09:40 AM

I shot a sleeve of the Wildcats at PGI last year. You can tell they are quality shells, as they definitely have consistent lift and break size and pretty effects. Not as punchy as some other shells out there, but a solid performer none the less. And I love the packaging :)

DavidthePyro
04-15-2019, 05:22 PM
Exactly what I was hoping! Thanks!!

topshelfpyro
04-16-2019, 09:09 PM
With so many 4" and now 5" shells - so many to choose from - just go with what is available at a decent price in your area.

Besides the marketing of this is bigger so it has to be better what's the point of 5" shells? 60g is the max pyro content for consumer shells. seems like it would just make a heavier shell casing so less height?

Fulliautomatix
04-17-2019, 07:47 AM
I've asked that question before. Someone posited that it could possibly be a thicker cylinder wall, which could correlate to a harder break. But yeah, I'm thinking marketing "bigger is better".

Rick_In_Tampa
04-17-2019, 11:30 PM
So I'm always curious when discussions about different types of consumer shells starts. Do you guys shoot them 1 at a time? Is that why you're concerned with how each shells performs?

I've got 350 going up for my finale this year. They go up so fast it's really not possible to examine their individual performance. I can't see shooting off 1 at a time. That would be tedious at best.

So again.... I'm just wondering how you guys use them in your shows.

Robbro097
04-18-2019, 12:00 AM
Besides the marketing of this is bigger so it has to be better what's the point of 5" shells? 60g is the max pyro content for consumer shells. seems like it would just make a heavier shell casing so less height?

I heard the larger shells add for a more symmetrical break, i have no clue if thats accurate or where i heard so can take with a grain of salt but mayb something worth looking at when comparing vids. It makes no difference to me because like rick i just shoot em for finale or opener either way theyr all in the air quick.

jamisonlm3
04-18-2019, 01:45 AM
topshelfpyro, honestly, I don't think there's any differenece between a 4" and 5" shell. Heck, Red Apple has a 6" shell now and I want to say another company on the west coast has one as well. Maybe better effects are reserved for 5" shells, but I don't know.

Like you say, the shells are limited to what they can contain and a 4" shell has more than enough room for that limit. You can watch videos on youtube of shells being opened and weighed. Most shells don't even come close to the 60g limit. They hover around 50g. They're all made the same way. The only thing that really differs is packaging and even that doesn't always.

There is some verience in the effects, but for the most part, they're all the same, with some differences here and there. New effects making their way into canister shells are the one you see in lace cakes. The other is the Nishiki Kamuro type effect. Both are very nice and I hope it becomes more common.

Rick_In_Tampa, I don't shoot as many firework as I'd like to. I just don't have the money to do that. The little or lot, depending on how you see it, that I do spend I don't want gone in 60 seconds. Since buying fuse and building racks, I can shot more than one easily since I don't have to worry about reloading. Still, a box of 24 shells isn't cheap if you aren't buying wholesale. I bet there are many people on this forum that are in similar shoes. They just want to get the best bang for their buck for the budget they have.

Rick_In_Tampa
04-18-2019, 05:53 AM
Fair points Jamisonlm3. We all want to stretch our pyro-dollars as far as we can. I was just interested to see if you shot them one at a time; shot them in short strings; shot them to accentuate other effects; etc. Maybe I'm just not creative minded enough, but I don't see another use for them short of sky puke at the end of my show.

DavidthePyro
04-18-2019, 06:09 AM
Good morning Rick! I'm planning on fusing sets of 4, almost like a quad break, except you know, not stuffing them all into one tube obviously, Haha. I'm going to probably fuse them in the tubes and then put them back into the packaging sleeves. Excals will be my main canister shell. My main concern was lift height. I've seen some low breakers, and then I've seen some that break really fricken high. I'd like to have some high breakers because I've had a lot of instances where the canister shells break low. I dont know, maybe I'm just being whiny. Safety is always a concern of mine, as it should be. I've never had anything(even small shells, rockets, cakes misfire or break on or near the ground, I'm hoping to keep that track record, even if its something that has a little dash of luck keeping that track record intact.

Rick_In_Tampa
04-21-2019, 01:38 AM
Good morning David. So you shoot 4 at a time. Do you shoot them with a 500G cake to accentuate the cake effects? Or do you use the mortars to accentuate a point in a musical?

DavidthePyro
04-21-2019, 07:21 AM
Typically I will use cakes in between shells, but I have multiple levels along the launch site. I have about a 150 foot stretch that my mortars are spaced out, I can go to the furthest rack, light, move back to the next rack, light, and so on, for about 4 levels of mortars. This ensures that there isn't a lot of time in between launching. Still a smaller scale, just for fun, less than 200 shell kind of guy, so other than a finale setting, I'm using patterns of shells and then cakes to keep things going with minimal down time in between. People have told me that they would like less down time between items so I will string some shells with 15 sec/ft fuse. That gives me time to prepare my next item. Some cakes are just slapped down on the spot with strong tape onto boards that are stained and sanded for adhesion. Without writing a novel of an explanation, I think I've made it somewhat clearer as to what my methodology is. However, I will draw up a diagram and post that when I can get around to it. We launch near an old retention pond with a pump and filter to gather what little debris ends up in the pond. Typically audience is at one end of the pond while our launch site is a 150 by 100 foot area with a 50 foot buffer between launch site and pond. But we never go 100 foot wide, just 30 or 40 feet wide.

Big Worm
04-28-2019, 05:27 PM

I saw these in person last night at the SO76 demo. Definitely quality shells, sounded good also. You better get a case instead of one box. LOL

DavidthePyro
04-28-2019, 06:00 PM
I saw these in person last night at the SO76 demo. Definitely quality shells, sounded good also. You better get a case instead of one box. LOL

Ironically I just found out they wont be coming in. I'm a little disappointed. Always looking for higher lift shells, especially with the size of the breaks