PDA

View Full Version : Magazine Location

ARK_PYRO
04-09-2019, 02:49 PM
Here is a possible layout of what I have in mind for my magazine location. Look it over and give me some feedback. this location is the easiest place for me to put it without having to do some major dirt work. I've talked to my local ATF IOI and she said that my house is ok to be within the required distance for inhabited buildings since I'm the 54 holder. The picture is dated and the vegetation has/will be cleared to meet the requirements. One question I have is, what if the required distances cross over property lines? Also plan on keeping less than 1000lbs but have it certified for 1001-5000lbs if possible.

Bung
04-09-2019, 03:35 PM
Being from the UK, I am not conversant with US state/region laws governing the storage of fireworks. However, from looking at the picture, while not being aware of weather conditions where you are based, does it ever get very dry and hot whereby there is a fire risk?. What about security?. I noticed in another thread there was a mention of using a trailer. I know laws are different in terms of meeting health and safety regulations and storage regulations where explosives are concerned, but would a freight container be better?. Not sure of the cost over there. Having written this, I can only speak from a UK law aspect, so whether it is any use for you, it maybe is worth mentioning. I would also think about locating such a large amount of fireworks further away. Better to be safe than sorry. 1000lbs of explosives 1.3 or 1.4 packs quite a punch if they all went off.

All the best though and hope all gets sorted.

bigred00
04-09-2019, 05:21 PM
Quick question that has nothing to do with the thread.. how did you get the circles on the map? I'm trying to do something similar and can't get circles on the map at the correct scale.

Regarding your question, the AHJ is probably going to decide what's allowed. They might no allow the distance exception for your own house or alternatively might be totally fine! All you can do is ask.

ARK_PYRO
04-09-2019, 09:16 PM
To answer your question bigred00, I save the image I want to overlay then insert it into a word doc. Then I insert shapes (circles, arrows, lines etc.) for the markings I insert a text box. The benefit to inserting shapes and text boxes is they can be sized and moved into place. Just a fyi make sure to size your picture because you are start overlaying all the shapes. I do this on all my shoot diagrams I send into the state. Hope that answers your question.

ARK_PYRO
04-09-2019, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the reply Bung, I have decided to not do the trailer storage due to the fact that I would have to alter it and make it impossible to use as storage and pyro/equipment trailer. A shipping container is now what I plan on doing. As for fire threat, it is something that is possible, but not likely here. The container will be on a gravel pad with vegetation cleared 25' in all direction. Security is my main concern, and that is why I plan on placing it on this property where I live. I own 120 acres but its 30 mins away and the ATF requires the magazine to be inspected once a week. I honestly do not see myself storing more than a few 100lbs at any given time. And lets be honest 1000lbs at 300 feet (ATF furthest distance requirement) would probably do damage to my neighbors house across the street.

bigred00
04-09-2019, 09:44 PM
To answer your question bigred00, I save the image I want to overlay then insert it into a word doc. Then I insert shapes (circles, arrows, lines etc.) for the markings I insert a text box. The benefit to inserting shapes and text boxes is they can be sized and moved into place. Just a fyi make sure to size your picture because you are start overlaying all the shapes. I do this on all my shoot diagrams I send into the state. Hope that answers your question.

Two thumbs up for this idea. I had been drawing measuring marks in google maps. You can do lines and spots, but not radius which is kinda what we need in our world.

ARK_PYRO
04-09-2019, 09:49 PM
Ok, so when you do radius on Google maps just save it which will make it part of the map and you can do multiple radius then save the full image or use the snip tool to save the part of the google map you want to use. Then insert it into you word doc and label the radius with text boxes and add your shapes.

bigred00
04-09-2019, 09:55 PM
Ok, so when you do radius on Google maps just save it which will make it part of the map and you can do multiple radius then save the full image or use the snip tool to save the part of the google map you want to use. Then insert it into you word doc and label the radius with text boxes and add your shapes.

You'll have to PM me how to do this.. I couldn't figure it out..

ARK_PYRO
04-09-2019, 09:59 PM
Two thumbs up for this idea. I had been drawing measuring marks in google maps. You can do lines and spots, but not radius which is kinda what we need in our world.
Here is an example I send into the state for display permit
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3821&stc=1

cherrybomb1
04-10-2019, 05:41 AM
Here is a possible layout of what I have in mind for my magazine location. Look it over and give me some feedback. this location is the easiest place for me to put it without having to do some major dirt work. I've talked to my local ATF IOI and she said that my house is ok to be within the required distance for inhabited buildings since I'm the 54 holder. The picture is dated and the vegetation has/will be cleared to meet the requirements. One question I have is, what if the required distances cross over property lines? Also plan on keeping less than 1000lbs but have it certified for 1001-5000lbs if possible.
With a shipping container im sure you would be good up to 10,000 lbs.My ATF inspector said there not concerned about property lines just inhabited buildings etc and proper distance.I thought i was good to go but my neighbor has a small storage unit business and that is considered a occupied building(i was 15 feet short).The only thing i would be worried about down the road is if someone was to build something on your neighbors property,they would make you move your container.Another way to go would be jobsite boxes...you can have 50lbs per box and the distances dont apply.You can only have 1 per building but if you had 3 storage sheds like i do you could have 3 job boxes.Nice property by the way!