PDA

View Full Version : Flash Powder Questions

Trex
03-25-2019, 04:19 PM
I’m making flash powder with KClO4 and German Blackhead Al. My first question is, what is definitely the best ratio? I’ve seen 2:1, 7:3, and a few others, and I was wondering what is truly the best mix for the biggest explosion. Secondly, when measuring this ratio, am I to use weight or volume? I know they have different masses, and I’ve seen recipes with both measurements, so what is the best way to go? My final question regards to self confinement. I read that too much pressure from too much weight can cause a tube to detonate on its own. How much product of my mixture would be too much and would self detonate just so I could avoid that tragedy from happening? I picked this mixture because I know it’s quite stable compared to others, but I just want to be sure. The tubes I am acquiring are 12 inches high with an internal diameter of 2.48in which I calculated to have a max internal volume of 57.97 inches cubed. I have all the necessary safety equipment from a gas mask with the correct particulate filters according to the MSDS for the chemicals, latex gloves, goggles, and a full non reactive suit. I plan on mixing the chemicals in some anti-static ESD bags. Thanks in advance.

PyroJoeNEPA
03-25-2019, 07:01 PM
We do NOT condone bomb making on here! A device that big will kill you. I suggest you direct your question to your regional BATF office. I am sure they would be more than willing to talk to you.

Trex
03-25-2019, 07:05 PM
We do NOT condone bomb making on here! A device that big will kill you. I suggest you direct your question to your regional BATF office. I am sure they would be more than willing to talk to you.

I’m not making bombs I’m making fireworks. Clearly I’ll have to get smaller tubes but I feel like most of my questions still apply so can anyone help me? I just want to make some good loud fireworks for friends and family on our ranch on 4th of July.

RalphieJ
03-25-2019, 07:43 PM
Visit this site first before you start: https://www.funeralwise.com/funeral-pre-planning/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqdTh8bue4QIV2ODICh2HmgTJEAAYBCA AEgLz5_D_BwE

displayfireworks1
03-25-2019, 08:21 PM
I like post #3 "I'm not making bombs "I'm making Fireworks". That is like "I'm not a stripper I"m a dancer". It sounds better right. A 12 inch tube is really not a firecracker any longer. You sound like you have some intellectual skills but you saying some of the wrong things at the same time. It looks like you are in Georgia , find one of those mom and pop type fireworks stores and see if they have some special firecrackers you can purchase.
If you are new at making firecrackers you never want to start out making them as large and you want to do.

Trex
03-25-2019, 10:51 PM
I appreciate your help, I must obviously get much smaller tubes, but my questions still stand as for the correct ratio of this formula and the correct measuring units.

Kenny East
03-26-2019, 01:24 AM
I gotta... Flash powder self confines at around 30 grams... So never mix more than that.

Second 30 grams is enough for 10 of the original m-80s.... So think about that before proceeding. One will take your fingers off.

If you must do it, keep it very small scale... Work away from anything you wouldn't want damaged or destroyed. Keep all chemicals out away during the mixing process. Diaper method of mixing is what I prefer to do... But should not be done during very dry weather.

I use the potassium perchlorate 70 parts to 30 parts aluminum(dark)... 2-5 micron. Measurements are easiest to do in grams...

All that said, if you're going to try it... Do plenty of research on the hazards and the laws. I don't know Georgia laws, but I know making a firecracker of certain size can and will get you in trouble if you're not licensed to do so. Be careful and stay safe down there.

Fulliautomatix
03-26-2019, 10:57 AM
I'll keep an eye/ear on the local news...

Piccaso
07-10-2019, 09:31 PM
I am not making a atomic bomb just a MOAB. LOL. It will be hard to fight of your new cell mates advances with no arms.

Knightmare
07-10-2019, 11:10 PM
I appreciate your help, I must obviously get much smaller tubes, but my questions still stand as for the correct ratio of this formula and the correct measuring units.

You like having hands?

If you answered yes how about scrapping all your plans!

CountryBoom87
09-15-2019, 10:25 AM
I?m not making bombs I?m making fireworks. Clearly I?ll have to get smaller tubes but I feel like most of my questions still apply so can anyone help me? I just want to make some good loud fireworks for friends and family on our ranch on 4th of July.

I strongly reccomend to anyone to learn black powder first, and everything about it. Flash powder is one of, if not, the strongest and most dangerous formulas you can make. You can do everything by the book and be extremely safe but you need to keep in mind, accidents can, and do happen. I do make large ground salutes. Have made them at PGI and made them at club shoots. I make them with tubing that has almost 2 inch thick walls and inner diameter of almost 3 inches. Takes a lot of flash, and there is no way in hell i would mix that much in the open. I binary mix them. And something else to keep in mind which most "new" people dont, is dont light off any m80s or salutes of any kind on or near your residence or anyone elses. All it takes is one complaint then its followed by a knock on the door from people you probablly dont want to see. Join a club, learn the proper way and build and shoot on site on designated shoot days. Also, there are plenty of other things that can make a nice cracker that are a lot safer than flash. Flash is unforgiving. Dont forget that last phrase. FLASH IS UNFORGIVING. Not for novice. Not for making by yourself for the first time.

mike70
09-18-2019, 07:44 AM
You want booms like that learn to make Ariel fireworks and make some 3 or 4 inch salutes. Making 12 inch tube firecrackers is just begging to get killed or go to prison.

Bourbon
03-22-2020, 06:08 PM
After years and years of never doing anything different than thee ol' 70/30 I decided after reading around ( around and around) to try 66/34. It worked well and with noticeable difference to which I was always told would be minimal. Not in my case. However I was wandering if any of you knew if the original ratio from years and years ago accounted of the anti-cake used today. None of the formula I have seen of this ratio listed a-cake. Do to the fact I use it, I was thinking adding 1% oxy just to make up the difference. Has anyone tried this or have an opinion?

nightstalker
03-22-2020, 11:57 PM
After years and years of never doing anything different than thee ol' 70/30 I decided after reading around ( around and around) to try 66/34. It worked well and with noticeable difference to which I was always told would be minimal. Not in my case. However I was wandering if any of you knew if the original ratio from years and years ago accounted of the anti-cake used today. None of the formula I have seen of this ratio listed a-cake. Do to the fact I use it, I was thinking adding 1% oxy just to make up the difference. Has anyone tried this or have an opinion?

Which worked better the 70/30 or the 66/34. Which if any lighted easier, which was louder.

Bourbon
03-23-2020, 12:04 PM
Actually 66/34 was better in both those areas. (In my case anyway). I was really surprised. I thought I was fooling myself so I repeated around 50 times. I started with 10 open air tests and that was enough to get me intrigued. In fact I think I'll stick with it but was curious about the anti-cake. I read a couple articles stating 70 was actually over oxidizing, not in a literal sense, but adding waste and slowing it down. I suppose it could be beneficial i guess depending on the quality of chems as added insurance.

I will do further testing but, I am quite happy with the results I already got. I am still curious however if the original ratio 66/34 accounted for the a-cake found in almost all oxidizers today. That's the part I can't seem to find. If it doesn't, it may be beneficial to add just 1 more % oxy to make up the difference as I'm sure I read somewhere no more than 1-2% a-cake is added during manufacturing.

Bourbon
03-23-2020, 12:06 PM
Which worked better the 70/30 or the 66/34. Which if any lighted easier, which was louder.

Actually 66/34 was better in both those areas. (In my case anyway). I was really surprised. I thought I was fooling myself so I repeated around 50 times. I started with 10 open air tests and that was enough to get me intrigued. In fact I think I'll stick with it but was curious about the anti-cake. I read a couple articles stating 70 was actually over oxidizing, not in a literal sense, but adding waste and slowing it down. I suppose it could be beneficial i guess depending on the quality of chems as added insurance.

I will do further testing but, I am quite happy with the results I already got. I am still curious however if the original ratio 66/34 accounted for the a-cake found in almost all oxidizers today. That's the part I can't seem to find. If it doesn't, it may be beneficial to add just 1 more % oxy to make up the difference as I'm sure I read somewhere no more than 1-2% a-cake is added during manufacturing.

Bourbon
03-23-2020, 12:13 PM
Sorry for the double post... I couldn't seem to find a delete button.

leftiluci
03-24-2020, 01:42 PM
shimizu fuel the jet!

Arclight
03-24-2020, 03:42 PM
If anyone really wants to see a big bang and you're West Coast, I'll set off 5lbs ANFO for you. Please don't mix up a 500gm of flash powder in your shed!

yoshisbar
03-24-2020, 08:11 PM
years ago there was no anti-cake when that formula was made (or published if you call it). Used to have a block of perchlorate to sift because 10 minutes after made it is rock hard lol..
66 is a good bit better that the 70 but it DOES depend on your aluminum. Crappy Aluminum won't work the more oxidizer used. It is all about getting the aluminum going. I have dabbled some with some nice alum, and found the higher the aluminum the deeper the boom, BUT I only binary mix shells. Want a nice chest boom 50 in a nice range..

displayfireworks1
03-24-2020, 09:18 PM
The anti-cake is Cabosil, you mix it in with the perk first. Usually good potassium perchlorate is chunky. Years back if I remember correctly Skylighter used to sell a free flowing potassium perchlorate that already had the cabosil mixed in with it. Of all the variations of the traditional formula and the exotic formula it all sounds about the same to me. The real difference in my opinion is how precise the preparation, measurement etc. is and the quality of the chemicals. Now if someone has a red , green, blue or any color formula variation, that is something you can really tell the difference on. But just a boom , I don't think it is worth all that. 70/30 just simplifies the process, increase the amount of decrease the amount until you get the desired audible effect.
The one over the years I found interesting is someone recommended adding in a smokeless powder that contained some variation of nitro glycerin.

Bourbon
03-25-2020, 12:50 AM
years ago there was no anti-cake when that formula was made (or published if you call it). Used to have a block of perchlorate to sift because 10 minutes after made it is rock hard lol..
66 is a good bit better that the 70 but it DOES depend on your aluminum. Crappy Aluminum won't work the more oxidizer used. It is all about getting the aluminum going. I have dabbled some with some nice alum, and found the higher the aluminum the deeper the boom, BUT I only binary mix shells. Want a nice chest boom 50 in a nice range..

That's the way I took it,, No A-cake back in the day. Thank you for confirming.

Bourbon
03-25-2020, 01:30 AM
It's the precise prep and measurement of good quality chems that I love about this, even when it's not needed. 66/34 is just as simple provided it works better (if that be the case).

I have yet to try adding any double base smokeless, but it does sound interesting.

Bourbon
03-29-2020, 01:53 PM
After many more tests with 3 different Perchs and 3 different Alums, I decided nothing beats the 70/30 in this category as it covers more bases no matter the quality of chems. I will however drop the oxy at least 1% for all future mixes. I found this to be more beneficial for my needs and tastes.

Pyro.Persia
11-08-2020, 11:00 AM
hi
definitely, the best ratio for aluminum and perchlorate is? the best ratio is 34.2% aluminum and 65.8% perchlorate

Aluminum powder and potassium perchlorate are the only two components of the pyrotechnic industry-standard flash powder. It provides a great balance of stability and power and is the composition used in most commercial exploding fireworks.
by looking at The balanced equation for the reaction we can find the true and best ratio, and The balanced equation is:

3 KClO4 + 8 Al → 3 KCl + 4 Al2O3
The stoichiometric ratio is 34.2% aluminum and 65.8% perchlorate by mass. A ratio of seven parts potassium perchlorate to three parts dark pyro aluminum is the composition used by most pyrotechnicians.

For best results, the aluminum powder should be "Dark Pyro" grade, with a flake particle shape, and a particle size of fewer than 10 micrometers. The KClO4 should be in powder form, free from clumps. It can be sieved through a screen, if necessary, to remove any clumps prior to use. The particle size of the perchlorate is not as critical as that of the aluminum component, as much less energy is required to decompose the KClO4 than is needed to melt the aluminum into the liquid state required for the reaction.

Although this composition is fairly insensitive, it should be treated with care and respect. Hobbyist pyrotechnicians usually use a method called diapering, in which the materials are poured separately onto a large piece of paper, which is then alternately lifted at each corner to roll the composition over itself and mix the components. Some amateur pyrotechnicians choose to mix the composition by shaking in a closed paper container, as this is much quicker and more effective than diapering. One method of mixing flash is to put the components in the final device and handling the device will mix the flash powder. Paper/cardboard is chosen over other materials such as plastic as a result of its favorable triboelectric properties.

Large quantities should never be mixed in a single batch. Large quantities are not only more difficult to handle safely, but they place innocent bystanders within the area at risk. In the event of accidental ignition, debris from a multiple-pound flash powder explosion can be thrown hundreds of feet with sufficient force to kill or injure. (Note: 3 grams of the mixture is enough to explode in the open air without constraint other than air pressure.)

No matter the quantity, care must always be taken to prevent any electrostatic discharge or friction during mixing or handling, as these may cause accidental ignition.

this is video for this ratio
https://linksly.co/NNM8I

but if you looking for the best flash powder with a small amount give a load report see this video

https://shrinke.me/liLsm
I hope this post helps you all, be a safe and good look.
Pyro.Persia

displayfireworks1
11-25-2020, 08:54 PM
hi
definitely, the best ratio for aluminum and perchlorate is? the best ratio is 34.2% aluminum and 65.8% perchlorate

Aluminum powder and potassium perchlorate are the only two components of the pyrotechnic industry-standard flash powder. It provides a great balance of stability and power and is the composition used in most commercial exploding fireworks.
by looking at The balanced equation for the reaction we can find the true and best ratio, and The balanced equation is:

3 KClO4 + 8 Al → 3 KCl + 4 Al2O3
The stoichiometric ratio is 34.2% aluminum and 65.8% perchlorate by mass. A ratio of seven parts potassium perchlorate to three parts dark pyro aluminum is the composition used by most pyrotechnicians.

For best results, the aluminum powder should be "Dark Pyro" grade, with a flake particle shape, and a particle size of fewer than 10 micrometers. The KClO4 should be in powder form, free from clumps. It can be sieved through a screen, if necessary, to remove any clumps prior to use. The particle size of the perchlorate is not as critical as that of the aluminum component, as much less energy is required to decompose the KClO4 than is needed to melt the aluminum into the liquid state required for the reaction.

Although this composition is fairly insensitive, it should be treated with care and respect. Hobbyist pyrotechnicians usually use a method called diapering, in which the materials are poured separately onto a large piece of paper, which is then alternately lifted at each corner to roll the composition over itself and mix the components. Some amateur pyrotechnicians choose to mix the composition by shaking in a closed paper container, as this is much quicker and more effective than diapering. One method of mixing flash is to put the components in the final device and handling the device will mix the flash powder. Paper/cardboard is chosen over other materials such as plastic as a result of its favorable triboelectric properties.

Large quantities should never be mixed in a single batch. Large quantities are not only more difficult to handle safely, but they place innocent bystanders within the area at risk. In the event of accidental ignition, debris from a multiple-pound flash powder explosion can be thrown hundreds of feet with sufficient force to kill or injure. (Note: 3 grams of the mixture is enough to explode in the open air without constraint other than air pressure.)

No matter the quantity, care must always be taken to prevent any electrostatic discharge or friction during mixing or handling, as these may cause accidental ignition.

this is video for this ratio
https://linksly.co/NNM8I

but if you looking for the best flash powder with a small amount give a load report see this video

https://shrinke.me/liLsm
I hope this post helps you all, be a safe and good look.
Pyro.Persia

Is it just me or are the clickable links in this post spam or some sort?

nightstalker
12-05-2020, 12:06 AM
Is it just me or are the clickable links in this post spam or some sort?

I get the same. It takes me to something like "media marketing"

displayfireworks1
12-05-2020, 08:26 PM
I have to tell you this Pyro. Persia is a good Spammer.
ip address come from Germany Hessee , Frankfurt AM Main. Whatever all of that is.
His post is basically a copy and paste from a Wikipedia pyro reference If anyone has the energy I'll post the link below, you can see cut and paste to his post if you compare. I already banned him and will leave this post up a little longer for reference.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_powder
To register for pyrotalk forums, you need to know something about me or my videos on YouTube. I have a question that needs answered to register.

Rick_In_Tampa
12-06-2020, 10:56 PM
Frankfurt AM Main is a glorious place in the LOB (Land Of Beer) where I have killed many a brain cell back in my Air Force days... :cool: There's nothing like walking off a C-5 at 6am after an 8 hour flight and finding a kiosk on a street corner where you can buy a bratwurst and beer on your way to your hotel. Man I love that country!!

TheSandmanIsMe
04-20-2021, 05:38 PM
Well, what exactly are you looking for when detonated? Flash, boom, or both?
Shimizu flash #11 is the loudest report using perchlorate.
Flash #5 is very intense flash with low pitched report.
There?s dozens of compositions, for various applications.

leftiluci
04-20-2021, 09:03 PM
64 / 23 / 13 my go 2