PDA

View Full Version : Advise ??

pitts
03-19-2019, 03:31 PM
Hi Guys, I will try and make this quick, Last year I made a poor mans rack by screwing the bases of tubes you get with kits on to a 2x12, since then the base got wet and the particle board bases got soft from the water and the tubes, with a little force broke free of the base, tube and plug are still in tact and solid, these still safe to use?

Deanbc
03-19-2019, 04:04 PM
I wouldn’t use them. Invest in some good quality tubes and build some simple racks, it’s not that expensive.

morrison2951
03-19-2019, 04:13 PM
No good- trash them.

Recommend HDPE tubes which are better than the fiberglas tubes that come in the cannister shell kits.

Icooclast
03-19-2019, 04:34 PM
i agree. they are no good, throw 'em away. as far as where to get full racks most people here (if not all) like pyroboom.com.

i can't speak to it personally myself, but i've e-mailed them questions in the past and always got quick, polite and clear answers from them. so, that's a good sign.

pitts
03-20-2019, 06:16 AM
Thanks guys, my head was telling me no, was just curious if anyone else had the same situation, few years ago I bought some tubes from Addyracks and will probably do the same thanks

Mattp
03-20-2019, 07:34 AM
I definitely agree..you wouldnt want to find out the hard way if theyre no good!!! Not worth it.. also if you buy some new kits youll also get some new tubes... if your handy enough i definitely recommend buying the tubes and making your own rack.. if not.. then buy it all premade.. and pyroboom is great!!

BMoore
03-21-2019, 07:54 AM
Honestly, I'd probably keep using them as long as you don't reload. When a plug fails that last shell is still going to go up. If you have the funds, definitely invest in some quality HDPE mortars, but I still use a few poor man's racks with kit fiberglass mortars that are probably 15+ years old and still looking just fine.

PYRODAN
03-21-2019, 12:11 PM
Where are you at Pitts? I have a bunch of HDPE tubes from Excalibur kits. You are welcome to them.

PGH_Pyro
03-21-2019, 01:20 PM
just buy proper racks

jamisonlm3
03-21-2019, 05:04 PM
I wouldn't trust those particle board bases after getting soaked. If they were plywood, sure, but not that stuff. The fiberglass mortars are still good since those have a concrete plug. You can knock the bases off and try to reuse them. I've done that with around two dozen or so. The ones I took apart, actually had a bottom wooden plug that's nailed to the bases through the bottom of the base. Those can be plywood or particle board. If you don't want to salvage the mortars, you can buy HDPE racks. They're a bit costly, but they look nice from what I've seen. I think it's easier to work with HDPE mortars than the fiberglass ones as well.

pitts
03-23-2019, 04:05 PM
I am in MA, I go to NH to get my stuff, Thanks will more than likely head that way and buy some