PDA

View Full Version : 500g Cakes - Do you prefer lots of smaller shots or fewer big shots?

NWA_Fireworks
03-15-2019, 04:23 PM
One thing we always ask our customers when they're deciding on which 500g cake(s) to buy is, "Would you rather have a whole bunch of smaller breaks, 9 to 12 huge breaks, or something in the middle?" And we always get a variety of answers, which is one of the things I love about fireworks. There is always something out there to please everyone, and everyone loves something a little different.

I'm seeing more and more "1 minute" and "2 minute" 500g cakes with 50 or 60+ shots, and they always feel like they're just two and half 200g cakes fused together with a slow, steady pace of small breaks to get that long duration. Now, some people feel like they get their money's worth with these long-lasting cakes, and that's why they prefer duration to quality of effects. I understand that's who these cakes are geared towards. For me, I'd rather have two hard breaking 9-shot cakes that last 25 seconds each than two minutes of small breaks and flying fish.

What about you guys? Which way do you tend to lean on the shot count spectrum?

morrison2951
03-15-2019, 04:28 PM
Go big or go home! :D

I've always got a case of Brothers Whacky Tobacky 9 shot NOAB's in my neighborhood shows.

Mattp
03-15-2019, 05:14 PM
I like this question: and my answer really varies.i love them all!!. there are some very nice 1 min long 350/500g cakes.. some not so nice.. and it really depends what im going for.. if i just want to light something quick and put a small fast show id use one of them.(i.e..amazing ballet, hit the road jack, one min ride and similar) but if i was going to light a bit more,, id use 9-12 shot big breaks. They are usually much slower paced so need to light a few! .. now if i was going to put on a show,, then i use them all !!!

Robbro097
03-16-2019, 12:06 AM
My favorite is big breaks but i do like shooting a bunch of 200gr for sky puke im not a big fan of small n steady if im going small i want alot in the air at once so when i get higher count 500gr i choose 1s that shoot in volleys

jknepp1954
03-16-2019, 05:40 AM
I get bored with those 2 min type cakes!
But otherwise - it is all in your own indiviual perception of fewer but bigger....or smaller/more. It takes a good mix at just the right times to make a good show

chriskrc
03-16-2019, 09:36 AM
I do like some in the 20 shot range but some good big hard hitting 9 and 12 shot cakes are what I like. A good mix in a show is great, but bring on the bangers.

Big Worm
03-16-2019, 10:42 AM
I do like some in the 20 shot range but some good big hard hitting 9 and 12 shot cakes are what I like. A good mix in a show is great, but bring on the bangers.

I'm with chriskrc. I think I might only use the long duration cakes for a lower sky filler.

Chiefsfan00
03-17-2019, 04:16 PM
I like this question: and my answer really varies.i love them all!!. there are some very nice 1 min long 350/500g cakes.. some not so nice.. and it really depends what im going for.. if i just want to light something quick and put a small fast show id use one of them.(i.e..amazing ballet, hit the road jack, one min ride and similar) but if i was going to light a bit more,, id use 9-12 shot big breaks. They are usually much slower paced so need to light a few! .. now if i was going to put on a show,, then i use them all !!!

I have to agree with Mattp on this. When I'm putting on a show I will use both of them but it is often 1 or 2 (i.e..America's pastime). All the rest of the fireworks I use in the show are in that 9-12 shot range that last about the 25 second mark.

Rick_In_Tampa
03-27-2019, 05:55 AM
I think it's important to vary the pace and variety of the show, or else people would get bored with the same old thing. So to that end, I think it's important to have a variety of effects to choose from.

How's that for a non-answer. :cool:

chriskrc
03-27-2019, 07:13 AM
I think it's important to vary the pace and variety of the show, or else people would get bored with the same old thing. So to that end, I think it's important to have a variety of effects to choose from.

How's that for a non-answer. :cool:

That's what people would call a perfect non-answer Rick lol.

morrison2951
03-27-2019, 01:34 PM
I tend to start my shows big with a quick hitter 500g cake such as Gorilla Warfare, take it down a notch from there with longer duration 500g cakes with some 200g mixed in, and then end big again with canister shells and NOAB'S such as Whacky Tobacky.