PDA

View Full Version : Tubes

Rajahdat
03-08-2019, 04:33 AM
Are those fiberglass tube any good?
I always used hdpe for 4? and 5?..
also you guys know any good site with descent prices?

Thanks in advance

Kenny East
03-08-2019, 05:39 AM
Fiberglass is fine, not as friendly to handle as hdpe... Won't last as long.. But they last for quite a few uses of stored properly. I've got many ace pyro racks, fireart would be another place.

PyroManiacs
03-08-2019, 08:49 AM
Stick with hdpe and check the sponsor page.

http://www.pyrotalk.com/sponsors.php

PyroJoeNEPA
03-08-2019, 01:34 PM
Raj---We have thousands of fiberglass tubes ranging in size from 2.5" to 12". No issues with them at all. I must interject that we fire EVERYTHING electronically with the Fire One system. So, in the event there is a shell malfunction that blows the gun apart there is NO danger to the crew. People that hand fire would be better served with HDPE. It will swell but not splinter like a fiberglass gun so less chance of injury--but there is still the issue of rack pieces flying around with both types of tubes.
We also have a bunch of HDPE guns in various sizes...but definitely many more fiberglass than HDPE.
People have said that HDPE weighs more than Fiberglass, but someone did a rack weight comparison and there is an insignificant difference in weight between the two.
The fiberglass guns may get "splintery" on the tops after many years of use--but this is easilly fixed by quickly passing a bernzomatic torch over the edges.Also, they are NOT stored in the sun. This may cause them to break down prematurely from the UV rays.
I hope this answers your question.
As far as best place to get tubes--you need to consider shipping--so see who is close to you or if you can get a delivery to a club shoot or event---- that would be a huge cost savings for you.

BoomPlatoon
03-10-2019, 06:58 PM
Fiberglass is fine, not as friendly to handle as hdpe... Won't last as long.. But they last for quite a few uses of stored properly. I've got many ace pyro racks, fireart would be another place.

I 2nd the Ace Pyro racks.

morrison2951
03-16-2019, 10:53 AM
I've got several fiberglas tubes such as those that come with the canister shells cases- all still good.

PyroJoeNEPA
03-16-2019, 02:00 PM
I've got several fiberglas tubes such as those that come with the canister shells cases- all still good.

I do believe he is asking about 4" & 5" dia. 1.3g professional ball shells--not 1.4 commercial cans.

pyroboom
03-16-2019, 07:05 PM
Personally I'm a big fan of HDPE.

morrison2951
03-16-2019, 10:54 PM
Another vote for HDPE as my preference and like them in orange as easier to locate in the dark.

chriskrc
03-17-2019, 09:17 AM
I prefer HDPE. But I still use the fiberglass tubes that come with the kits to shoot random shells out of. They hold up just fine.

Kenny East
03-18-2019, 10:31 PM
Personally I'm a big fan of HDPE.

I'm a fan of hdpe as well, I've got plenty, but that quality always has a price tag. Though I do jump every time I see a deal on hdpe!

LincolnPyro
04-01-2019, 06:13 AM
I agree with you PyroJoeNEPA. 90% of the shows I do are in the range of 300 to 500 shells and are hand fired, and I have had fiberglass tubes to blow apart and have sheets of fiberglass peeling out of the inside of the tubes. So my preference is to stay with HDPE for hand lighting and fiberglass for electronic fired shows.