PDA

View Full Version : Magazine

Murt
02-28-2019, 04:36 PM
Does anybody have the requirements for a storage magazine in PA? All I can find is the fee from DEP.

displayfireworks1
02-28-2019, 10:16 PM
Indoor, outdoor .Big, Small etc. We need more specific information what your plan is. Are you already ATF licensed?

Mattp
03-01-2019, 02:28 PM
for a personal use one,, pretty sure the orange book has all the requirements you need to know.. then possibly some from your local AHJ..

Murt
03-01-2019, 05:09 PM
I’m looking to do a type 4 and understand the ATF requirements just not state. I’m planning on using a cargo trailer and remove the wheels and axle. The Pa code talks about a gate and I’m not understanding if I need that or not. Any guidance is appreciated.

displayfireworks1
03-01-2019, 05:39 PM
The PA state guy shows up with the ATF book. Redundent government. If you can drive up to it you are probably going to need a gate. I'll covered this exact senerio in my DVD package

jknepp1954
03-01-2019, 05:42 PM
In 2005 DEP placed further requirements over and above the ATF requirements. One of which was the Gate thing - and YES REQUIRED!!!! The be place on the access road leading back to your magazine.
A gate is one thing - I think there are a couple other devices allowed. I have NOT been in the 1.3 since 2007 - so i kinda forget what all is required.
Best thing to do is call your local DEP office and ask.

Murt
03-01-2019, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the replies I left a message with local office for clarification

displayfireworks1
03-01-2019, 10:31 PM
Pretty soon they will want a guard shack in addition to the gate. LOL If I remember correctly someone here in Pennsylvania told me if you request , they will send someone out to look things over and give you some advice if you can convince them you are serious and not just a curiosity seeker. Already having an ATF license is going to make you look a little more serious, so tell them that.
On a side note a few years back I tried to help this person in West Virginia that wanted to get a magazine, he lived in an area that had a lot of mining and blasting already going on. If I remember correctly at the time the State of West Virginia would accept any magazine the ATF approved. I did all of this work and even had a local ATF Inspector willing to visit the site and tell him what he needed to do. After I did all of this work and research and the he tells me , yea thanks I'll get back to you when I'm ready. Total waste of my time.
This is why when I do see an individual move forward on a magazine I'm impressed. The rate is probably 90% curiosity seekers and 10% achievers. The reality is, if you are not ready to spend some money on it, you are probably going to be in the former part of this equation.

ARK_PYRO
03-06-2019, 09:35 PM
Dave,
I notice in your Casabella tour YouTube video that their door locks into the magazine do not have protection over them? Seems to be a commercial metal door with 2 deadbolts plus the latch. It was my understanding that magazines are required to have protection coving the locking mechanism. What is your opinion on this?

yoshisbar
03-07-2019, 08:53 PM
Dave,
I notice in your Casabella tour YouTube video that their door locks into the magazine do not have protection over them? Seems to be a commercial metal door with 2 deadbolts plus the latch. It was my understanding that magazines are required to have protection coving the locking mechanism. What is your opinion on this?

Keep reading the orange book (in the back under updates) They are always refining the wording of things. in 2012 the updated ALOT of the locking mechs to approve alternate ways instead of the old "hood locks" from back in the early days, now eve hidden and "hockey puck" locks are approved, just have to find it in the book..