PDA

View Full Version : FEL Renewal Application Question

joewad
02-10-2019, 11:53 AM
Just received my FEL renewal application form in the mail, ATF Form 5400.14/5400.15 Part III Revised (Sep 2018). I retired after 35 years of federal service and half that time was spent writing local regulations, standard operating procedures and policies. Clear and concise wording was a "pet peeve" of mine and it never fails something upon the ATF's forms are, to me, ambiguous . This is my first renewal process and I utilize contingency storage from my suppliers. That being said, I am "drawing" upon the knowledge of forum enthusiasts regarding pyro with a question.

Question 3. "Do you have storage facilities/magazines to store materials? If NO, attach an explanatory statement providing a contingency plan for the storage of unexpected surplus explosive materials" Answer yes or no and check statement attached.

To me that reads write a explanatory statement that I use contingency storage, sign, date and furnish with application. It doesn't read provide copies of contingency storage letters. I have current contingency storage letters and was planning on providing them to agent upon his site visit.

Tzhanks, any input appreciated, I'm mailing this off in a week or so.

displayfireworks1
02-10-2019, 03:59 PM
Send a copy of the contingency in with the application. Keep the original to show during the interview. It is basically what you did three years ago without the picture and fingerprints. Depending on what state you live in, the ATF Inspectors themselves misinterpret what it all says or they try to add their own requirements into the application process. Indiana should not be one of those states. Texas was, Ohio was, Tennessee was , New York was , Maine was etc. Don't overthink it or ask too many questions because they may not know the answers either. I usually tell people don't put the Inspector on a quiz show. They probably know all of the frustrations of the application and can't really do anything about it. If something needs changed or added they write in and have you sign it. Just mail it in , you should be fine.