PDA

View Full Version : i came across this while browsing on amazon:

Icooclast
12-17-2018, 05:15 AM
so, i found a "lighter" that uses an electric arc or something to light things. and it can be re-charged. so, has anyone heard about these and are they too good to be true when it comes to lighting fireworks? it says a full charge can last 100-300 uses. check it out and tell me what you guys think.

https://www.amazon.com/Tesla-Coil-LightersTM-Rechargeable-Windproof/dp/B01J4RCIP4/ref=sr_1_6_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1543197459&sr=8-6&keywords=cigarette&th=1

BenB
12-17-2018, 12:02 PM
Oh yeah they definitely will light fireworks I have the Atomic Lighter myself. It is just an arc of plasma that is absolutely windproof. Here's a video link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2BA6N3oUyU

displayfireworks1
12-17-2018, 01:39 PM
I posted a video a few months back showing a similair device. Not sure if the fuse spit will disable it.

Icooclast
12-17-2018, 10:31 PM
Oh yeah they definitely will light fireworks I have the Atomic Lighter myself. It is just an arc of plasma that is absolutely windproof. Here's a video link:

thanks for the link. it seems to light fireworks in an instant, doesn't it? lol. does it come with everything you need to recharge it as well?

nightstalker
12-17-2018, 10:56 PM
I ordered a 2-pack from Amazon. They have a dual ignition "over 5 times spark needs to wait 1 minute to restart; Normal mode : provide continuous ignition." Supposed to be here Thursday 12/20. Hopefully no more burnt thumb/fingers lighting fireworks.

Icooclast
12-17-2018, 11:33 PM
I ordered a 2-pack from Amazon. They have a dual ignition "over 5 times spark needs to wait 1 minute to restart; Normal mode : provide continuous ignition." Supposed to be here Thursday 12/20. Hopefully no more burnt thumb/fingers lighting fireworks.

i'm with you on the no burnt thumb and fingers, lol. i also like the fact that it gives you like a little length away from the fuse (like a grill lighter) only this seems to light them much better than a grill lighter.

the other thing i like is the flexible neck. i'm going to have to get these eventually.

Icooclast
12-18-2018, 11:41 AM

by any chance can you explain how to recharge it to me using the usb cable? do i just plug it into a computer's usb or does it have something that has a way to charge it. they say it comes with a usb cable for charging, but they don't give any clues as to what you do to recharge it and if it has everything you need to do so.

PYRODAN
12-18-2018, 01:17 PM
They suck for cigars.

Icooclast
12-18-2018, 01:27 PM
from what i've seen they work great with fireworks, that's all i need it for, i don't smoke. but am curious as to how well they light cigarettes? i am thinking of buying some for my friends who do smoke.

MtnViewPyro
12-18-2018, 01:31 PM
I have one and have used it about five times. They aren’t that great lighting cigarettes and actually leave a metallic taste in my opinion. I never tried it with fireworks, but compared to a cheap eagle torch, I think the tesla wouldn’t compare based of its inability to light cigarettes properly.

Steve
12-18-2018, 03:34 PM
by any chance can you explain how to recharge it to me using the usb cable? do i just plug it into a computer's usb or does it have something that has a way to charge it. they say it comes with a usb cable for charging, but they don't give any clues as to what you do to recharge it and if it has everything you need to do so.

Mine came with a usb that you can plug in to any computer or wall adapter. I just charge mine to the same charger as i use for my Kindle. It's the same size plug.
The lighter i have is a longer safety style but i don't recommend it due to the ease of lighting it. There is an on/off button but if it's on, the button is large and easy to push with no other safety feature. So, if you forget to turn it off with the switch, and put it in your pocket, you can easily push the ignition button by accident. There are some models with added safely where you must push the ignition down and slide it up to ignite it. I'd like to buy one of those. Besides that, these things are pretty cool.

RalphieJ
12-18-2018, 08:16 PM
Anyone who lights fireworks with Bic lighters should not be allowed to purchase fireworks.

Icooclast
12-18-2018, 09:27 PM
Anyone who lights fireworks with Bic lighters should not be allowed to purchase fireworks.

bite your tongue, i light 'em that way! lol. i haven't had money since i found out about e-firing was available in a consumer version. last time i had some serious fireworks, i lit them a few at a time with a lighter because i knew there was fuse out there, but didn't think any1 else would want to take time to fuse stuff. now i know they do.

if anyone has any other things to look for like this, please post it. thanks in advance

cptnding
12-18-2018, 10:52 PM
Personally I prefer a butane or propane torch. Here's a previous thread:

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/showthread.php?6745-Any-Torch-Recommendations

Icooclast
12-27-2018, 09:30 PM
well, i bought one, lol. got it today. it's pretty neat and my friend had no trouble lighting cigarettes with it.. i am going to wait a little while to light the (crappy) firecrackers i have left over (if i can find 'em) as i don't think people would like me doing that now.

if anyone has any other thoughts or comments please share them.

nightstalker
12-28-2018, 09:39 PM
These are the ones I got and they seem to work real good. You can get them with rechargeable battery or AAA battery. The flexible neck is nice to bend to reach the fuse so I don't have to try to bend the fuse to light it.Pleased so far. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F19JW9F/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

morrison2951
03-26-2019, 02:52 PM
Purchased a few (3) of these new long neck flexible arc lighters and they all worked great for what handlighting we did for my past NYE show. And it was windy that night- likely wouldn't have stood a chance lighting the fireworks with a normal grill lighter.

Plus the purple arc is pretty cool looking. :cool: