PDA

View Full Version : Making stars

SamGurdus
11-20-2018, 10:00 PM
Are there any star types that don't require many chemicals, but produce decent color? I can only cut stars or pump them one at a time currently. First I am going to try tiger tails, but looking for recommendations for what to move onto next. I haven't ordered any chemicals yet, I'm just getting into it. Ideally, the chemicals involved can be used for multiple things, or at least doesn't require too many. Trying to get some more opinions. Thanks

Kenny East
11-22-2018, 08:33 AM
The Veline star formulas are can be a good place to start for colors.... Most use 5-6 chemicals per color.

Willow stars, tiger tail, and some other meal powder based stars don't require a huge variety of chemicals... But only make mostly orange/yellow colors.

Zinc/granite stars are a simple star as well only requiring a few chemicals... And produce a unique mix of blue/indigo/green and orange as they burn.

PyroJoeNEPA
11-24-2018, 03:11 PM
Look into the parlon star formulae. They are very easy, don't require a long drying time and can be used the day you make them. The basic colors can be mixed to get almost any shade star you want [within reason, of course]. They are more of a pastel than a super bright star--but you can get some very nice colors with them.

Kenny East
11-27-2018, 06:22 AM
I like how easy it is to blend the colors of the Veline stars, they use magnalium as a fuel... Parlon as a binder and chlorine donor to enhance color.

After I got started, I now keep some mixed base color formulas loose and stored properly. Then when I want to blend up a specific color I just measure out the small amount of each base needed.

Another great feature of those stars is that they can be cut, pressed or rolled.

Rveline
04-19-2019, 08:41 PM
Are there any star types that don't require many chemicals, but produce decent color? I can only cut stars or pump them one at a time currently. First I am going to try tiger tails, but looking for recommendations for what to move onto next. I haven't ordered any chemicals yet, I'm just getting into it. Ideally, the chemicals involved can be used for multiple things, or at least doesn't require too many. Trying to get some more opinions. Thanks

Well, I would recommend the veline color system :rolleyes::D. You can dampen the comp with water, isopropyl or acetone, but iso and ace are really sticky....

mike70
09-18-2019, 09:45 AM
Could anyone give me an ideal how to make an efficient multi star plate and maybe 3/4 in to 1 in. Comet plate homemade without spending a few hundred dollars buying them?

JoeyV.
11-02-2020, 08:02 PM
If you have a drill press you are in luck! Get two pieces of aluminum stock from eBay. Tape them together and drill holes all the way through one and half through the other. Not cut equal aluminum round bar stock. Epoxy them in the half drilled plate.

TheSandmanIsMe
04-11-2022, 01:12 AM
Just wondering how far you’ve come in the the past 4 yrs since you posted?

MichalMyg
05-03-2022, 04:46 AM
Over the past month I have seen many posts on Facebook about this, but the problem is still not solved.