View Full Version : Email from Italy

displayfireworks1
11-10-2018, 11:18 PM
Here is interesting email I received from Italy. I forwarded it to the Rocket Master. What caught my attention is referencing the term Bickford Fuse. It is term we do not use in United States. In researching the term, I see it is the name of the man that created Safety Fuse or as we called it Visco fuse. I'll post the link here, interesting read.
William Bickford (1774?1834)
He is best known as the inventor of the safety fuse, which was inspired by watching a friend, James Bray making rope. With his son-in-law George Smith, he established a factory in Tuckingmill for the production of his invention, and in its first year it produced 45 miles of fuse. He died a short while before his company actually started up. It took a while for miners to use the safety fuses, for the old ones were cheaper. His company eventually became part of the Ensign-Bickford Company.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_fuse
https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/images/2/2f/Im1876Wor-Bickford.jpg
copy of email.
Dear Dave,

Nice to meet you,! It is an honour to me to make your acquaintance. I have watched your videos over and over again. My favourite rocket is "Three ring reports". I would like to ask you if in your video "best fireworks rockets" you have used a normal bickford fuse for reports inside your rockets. They are really amazing and it seems incredible that it was sufficient a normal bickford fuse for such perfect coordination of your three ring reports and three spiral reports or your spiral clockwise and counterclockwise. I would also like to know the diameter of the rockets: it is important for me because I really wish to do this job. Could you tell me which is the composition of your reports? I would also like to know how to do the howls. Thanks so much for your answer.
Best compliments and regards.XXXX from italy

PyroJoeNEPA
11-11-2018, 12:49 PM
Dave, the term "Bickford fuse" refers to 1/4" time fuse--not the everyday small diameter Visco used in 1.4g & 1.3g pyro. You will still hear the term frequently used within the community of pyro builders. ..especially by the "older" guys. [and gals].
The gentleman above is questioning the construction method for TR's timed reports which are made of "cap plugs" and time [Bickford] fuse as I am sure you have seen many times. Hopefully Tom will be able to respond to his questions.
I know the one video from PGI [I think it was 2016] where Tom did his seminar on his rocket construction techniques will have all the info this person might want----is this by chance in your files of videos? If so, a link to it would be great.I know I have seen the video--not sure if it was here or on You Tube.