PDA

View Full Version : ever wonder whats inside a 1.3 3" shell

chrish
11-02-2018, 11:49 PM
Disclaimer:
Before I start let me state I do not want a safety lecture/reminder. I am very well aware of chemically what is inside these shells and the difference in them compared to a 1.4 and that there is no room for error. however, with caution these things can be handled. I am also not telling others its no big deal and go home and start ripping shells open with your skilsaw. they will indeed kill you. Dangerous things can be done safely and safe things can be done dangerously, knowledge is usually the difference.

with that said.

for those that have ever wondered in how much better a 3" is than a 1.4 can, this is what I found:

3in ball
95 grams of pyro
15 grams of lift
the burst for this one was BP with rice hulls. this was obvious from the effect break. it was "softer" and slower than a flash break.
total 110 grams of charge

the build construction was very nice:
two (redundant) time fuses between lift and burst
the BP charge was in a small sack
the burst charge was also in a small sack with the stars outside it
all stars were layed in on the outer perimeter.
the stars were about 3/8" inch each.

in short, this shell was "built" or assembled.

Cans:
I have found most cans are between 48-55 grams of total pyro (usually 10 grams lift, 40-45 grams effect)
most have a flash break. When they break you can tell. they blast across the sky pretty hard
the stars are usually 3/16. Some will be 1/4"

Assembly is simply a scoop and dump type.
there is no assembly here, it is just a random mix placed between two clay plugs in a thick cardboard tube.

With all this said this was one three inch shell. not a data set. it was disassembled because it was deemed unsafe to shoot. I am not in the practice of taking these apart like I have consumer stuff. I have taken apart many consumer cans so that data is accurate.

in short, there is no comparison. the three inch ball is twice the shell a consumer can is. With that said I still love cans. they are cheap (~$1.00-$1.25 each if you buy them right) and easy to use without the regs of the 1.3 stuff. so each has its place.