PDA

View Full Version : Off-season blues

MtnViewPyro
10-28-2018, 08:45 AM
Despite doing something for Halloween, I haven?t been able to shoot hardly anything off. It?s either windy or raining and getting chilly. Other than watching YouTube videos of fireworks, been spending more time with my guitar and watching baseball and football. What are some off-season hobbies that you guys are doing right now?

Supermanpyro8
10-28-2018, 11:52 AM
Working more

Steve
10-28-2018, 01:39 PM
Pinball.
And researching what to fireworks to order.

Despite doing something for Halloween, I haven?t been able to shoot hardly anything off. It?s either windy or raining and getting chilly. Other than watching YouTube videos of fireworks, been spending more time with my guitar and watching baseball and football. What are some off-season hobbies that you guys are doing right now?

PyroJoeNEPA
10-28-2018, 03:59 PM
All pyro related projects---Rolling case formers for 3", 4", & 5" cylinder shells, cutting hundreds of end disks, rolling tubes [need about 1000 or more] for salutes for a Mascleta I want to build and shoot at a club event next year, measuring & cutting time fuse for berac style inserts---all stuff that can be done when the weather is bad. And going over dozens of formulae for potential spring star rolling projects.
But mostly, complaining about the cold damp weather and all the "aches and pains" associated with the change of seasons.
Since I retired and closed up my audio & video installation business a few years ago I seem to have zero interest in doing anything electronics related--I have a few vintage audio amps that I can rebuild---but I just don't have the "get up and go" to bother with them. Seems like the winter doldrums has set in for yet another year!!!

Kenny East
10-29-2018, 03:02 AM
Usually start planning next year, shopping new products... Build some shells for new years eve.

I usually always try to find time to put fire on some visco, even if it's just a single rocket or ground bloom

matandch
10-29-2018, 07:43 AM
When I lived in Pa I shot fireworks with temperatures in the teens.

Rick_In_Tampa
10-29-2018, 12:36 PM
Well this weekend I painted my house. Last weekend I replaced a bunch of lightbulbs, cleaned some algae off the house (to prep for painting), and sprayed some bleach water on the mailbox to clean it up. The week before that I was pressure washing the driveway.

Yeah I'll tell ya... The fun just keeps coming for me!!

Crush630
10-29-2018, 12:46 PM
I bought a new snow blower... fun times

nayslayer
10-29-2018, 01:22 PM
Smoke Cigars

Big Worm
10-29-2018, 08:23 PM
Hunting pheasants and ducks. Watching Husker football!!!

shake the cove
10-29-2018, 09:08 PM
Miss doing that but knees do not work as good now. But Tennessee not known for pheasant hunting. This last weekend was occupied with NFL ,NASCAR and Formula 1.
Already watching video of firework demos to see what I need next year,taking harder look at items I passed on previously.

Mauro
10-30-2018, 08:42 PM
Other than compulsively looking at fireworks videos and editing my carts at wholesalers websites while slowly hoarding cash in small quantities so the wife don’t find out... work like a slave, watch the baby girl, family parties here and there, went to some cabins in Oklahoma for the weekend... not a lot of time for myself... really need to put new strings I bought for my guitars and get back to playing. I occasionally shoot a few sky rockets and other leftover stuff I got at my in-laws land. I try to go every chance I get lol.

PyroManiacs
10-30-2018, 09:11 PM
If you consider searching for and analyzing deals and acquiring rentals/flips in real estate a hobby, that is what I do when not playing with pyro. I also produce dark hypnotic techno music and attend festivals of that sort. Not those big elaborate corny EDM festivals that you see on TV about, those are "lame-stream" and not Techno. However, you'd better bet your ass Id be there if I was shooting pyro at one. ;)

MontanaMike
11-02-2018, 10:50 PM
I'm working on building an O-gauge model train layout. I've had a layout before, but had to move it, so we dismantled it and are starting from the ground up. It's probably about 1/3 done and was on hold pretty much from March to July while we planned our pyro show (and worked at those pesky jobs).

MtnViewPyro
11-03-2018, 08:25 AM
Working more

That is not a hobby I can get excited about lol

MtnViewPyro
11-03-2018, 08:26 AM
Pinball.

Digital or do you have an arcade machine?

MtnViewPyro
11-03-2018, 08:31 AM
All pyro related projects---Rolling case formers for 3", 4", & 5" cylinder shells, cutting hundreds of end disks, rolling tubes [need about 1000 or more] for salutes for a Mascleta I want to build and shoot at a club event next year, measuring & cutting time fuse for berac style inserts---all stuff that can be done when the weather is bad. And going over dozens of formulae for potential spring star rolling projects.
But mostly, complaining about the cold damp weather and all the "aches and pains" associated with the change of seasons.
Since I retired and closed up my audio & video installation business a few years ago I seem to have zero interest in doing anything electronics related--I have a few vintage audio amps that I can rebuild---but I just don't have the "get up and go" to bother with them. Seems like the winter doldrums has set in for yet another year!!!

I have also been a big fan of audio and video. When younger I built my own amp and it performed well, but just not very long lol. I currently have a Klipsch home theater sound system with a Yamaha receiver.

MtnViewPyro
11-03-2018, 08:33 AM
Usually start planning next year, shopping new products... Build some shells for new years eve.

I usually always try to find time to put fire on some visco, even if it's just a single rocket or ground bloom

Same here, Kenny. I try and get something to get a fix as much as possible. I would like to get into building some of my own fireworks eventually.

MtnViewPyro
11-03-2018, 08:35 AM
Well this weekend I painted my house. Last weekend I replaced a bunch of lightbulbs, cleaned some algae off the house (to prep for painting), and sprayed some bleach water on the mailbox to clean it up. The week before that I was pressure washing the driveway.

Yeah I'll tell ya... The fun just keeps coming for me!!

Rick, reading these things made me tired lol. I guess on the plus side, your weather is nice enough to be outside.

MtnViewPyro
11-03-2018, 08:37 AM
I bought a new snow blower... fun times

We rarely get enough snow for a snow blower here. More and more, the winter weather here is sleet and freezing rain sadly.

MtnViewPyro
11-03-2018, 08:38 AM
Smoke Cigars

What?s your favorite brand? Do you have a humidor?

MtnViewPyro
11-03-2018, 08:40 AM

When I?m more mobile, I would like to try duck hunting. Then in return, I will take you for a turkey hunt.

MtnViewPyro
11-03-2018, 08:43 AM
Miss doing that but knees do not work as good now. But Tennessee not known for pheasant hunting. This last weekend was occupied with NFL ,NASCAR and Formula 1.
Already watching video of firework demos to see what I need next year,taking harder look at items I passed on previously.

We don?t have pheasant or duck around these parts. They are trying to establish a pheasant population, but it hasn?t been very successful. We do have a growing elk population though.

MtnViewPyro
11-03-2018, 08:44 AM
Other than compulsively looking at fireworks videos and editing my carts at wholesalers websites while slowly hoarding cash in small quantities so the wife don?t find out... work like a slave, watch the baby girl, family parties here and there, went to some cabins in Oklahoma for the weekend... not a lot of time for myself... really need to put new strings I bought for my guitars and get back to playing. I occasionally shoot a few sky rockets and other leftover stuff I got at my in-laws land. I try to go every chance I get lol.

What type of guitar or guitars do you have? I still consider myself a student, seems I will never master it lol.

MtnViewPyro
11-03-2018, 08:47 AM
If you consider searching for and analyzing deals and acquiring rentals/flips in real estate a hobby, that is what I do when not playing with pyro. I also produce dark hypnotic techno music and attend festivals of that sort. Not those big elaborate corny EDM festivals that you see on TV about, those are "lame-stream" and not Techno. However, you'd better bet your ass Id be there if I was shooting pyro at one. ;)

Actually a pretty good hobby. Especially, if you make some good cash on the side. I have no construction or reno abilities. Building mortar racks is about as far as those skills go lol.

MtnViewPyro
11-03-2018, 08:48 AM
I'm working on building an O-gauge model train layout. I've had a layout before, but had to move it, so we dismantled it and are starting from the ground up. It's probably about 1/3 done and was on hold pretty much from March to July while we planned our pyro show (and worked at those pesky jobs).

This sounds really cool. Would love to see some pics whenever you get a chance.

Mauro
11-03-2018, 12:03 PM
Right now I only play classical guitar. I got rid of all my electric ones... u can check my YT channel, before I started posting pyro videos lol. After becoming a dad I rarely have time to play or upload anything, plus work is a bit exhausting. Oh and my girl broke my cords on both my guitars but I bought some new ones but haven’t put them yet. I pretty much sing and play guitar and write songs. Got more than 200 songs, mostly in Spanish btw.

Mauro
11-03-2018, 12:06 PM
Why don’t you post a guitar video on your channel?

RalphieJ
11-03-2018, 12:07 PM
Pinball.

Bally's Fireball is my favorite pinball of all time. What's yours?

Steve
11-04-2018, 08:01 AM
Bally's Fireball is my favorite pinball of all time. What's yours?

Twilight Zone and Addams Family. I'm into mid to late 90's games mostly.

Steve
11-04-2018, 08:05 AM
Digital or do you have an arcade machine?

Real pinball only. I have ten machines. For people who don't know, the collecting market is huge for pinball. And the main pinball forum gets about 100 new threads and 1500 new posts daily.

displayfireworks1
11-04-2018, 08:12 AM
At Steve , not sure if you knew but at one time I collected and restored pinball machines. I had a collection of Gottlieb pinball from 1963 to 1968. The Roy Parker artwork. I would imagine the collector market now is more solid state machines.

MtnViewPyro
11-04-2018, 08:28 AM
Real pinball only. I have ten machines. For people who don't know, the collecting market is huge for pinball. And the main pinball forum gets about 100 new threads and 1500 new posts daily.

That’s really cool you have the machines. I’m old fashion I guess when it comes to certain things. I always purchase books in print, I need to hold the book when I read instead of using a tablet. I would be the same with Pinball. You just don’t get the experience with a lot of digital things.

Steve
11-04-2018, 01:12 PM
At Steve , not sure if you knew but at one time I collected and restored pinball machines. I had a collection of Gottlieb pinball from 1963 to 1968. The Roy Parker artwork. I would imagine the collector market now is more solid state machines.

I didn't know that. There is still a market for the em's. They typically don't go for as much as the more modern games. The artwork on those classics was real art. Now most pins are just photoshopped movie and comic book images.

The only Gottlieb i had was Tee'd Off (1993) . I didn't have it in my collection for long.

MtnViewPyro
11-04-2018, 05:55 PM
Right now I only play classical guitar. I got rid of all my electric ones... u can check my YT channel, before I started posting pyro videos lol. After becoming a dad I rarely have time to play or upload anything, plus work is a bit exhausting. Oh and my girl broke my cords on both my guitars but I bought some new ones but haven?t put them yet. I pretty much sing and play guitar and write songs. Got more than 200 songs, mostly in Spanish btw.

Why don?t you post a guitar video on your channel?

I will check out your videos. That?s really cool that you?re writing songs. I started learning how to play while working on my PhD. I needed something to do that would require a lot of attention that would make my brain completely stop thinking about research. It worked really well and helped me learn a skill that I?ve always wanted to learn. I have a cheaper Seagull acoustic guitar and then a ESP electric guitar. I will spare my viewers though and not post me playing lol, I?m just not good enough yet to do that.

MontanaMike
11-05-2018, 01:20 PM
My friend Keith, who is my fireworks-show partner, is an avid pinball collector. I think he has about 15 machines in his garage, along with a bar and a sound system. I don't know if he'd be able to name a favorite, but I'd bet Haunted House would be in his top five...he's been looking for one of those for years.

nayslayer
11-05-2018, 04:07 PM
What?s your favorite brand? Do you have a humidor?

oh yeah, I have a newair winadore and a cooler and a small desktop for cubans. Love Roma Craft, Tatuje. My collection has shrunk some since getting into pyro more, but still have quite a few.

MtnViewPyro
11-06-2018, 05:55 PM
oh yeah, I have a newair winadore and a cooler and a small desktop for cubans. Love Roma Craft, Tatuje. My collection has shrunk some since getting into pyro more, but still have quite a few.

I’m a smoker and probably don’t need any more irritants to my lungs lol, but I’ve always been interested in cigars. I’ve only had the cheap ones and never knew which ones were good or not.

Mattp
11-07-2018, 08:11 PM
Great thread.. was fun to scroll down the list.. i get kept busy working 2 jobs.. spare time is taking care of the house/property.. and raising a 2,4 and 6 year old.. pyro and coffee are my two hobbies that i barely have any time for... did manage to complete my list and almost have whole show planned and timed for next year

CMiller
11-07-2018, 08:40 PM
Still shooting shows, have another scheduled for November 17th.

PGH_Pyro
11-07-2018, 09:11 PM
what is this off season you speak of ?

Supermanpyro8
11-07-2018, 10:35 PM
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3672&stc=1
Making these, and purchasing lots of fireworks. BIG SHELLS [ATTACH=CONFIG]3673[/ATTACH

MtnViewPyro
11-08-2018, 09:13 AM
Great thread.. was fun to scroll down the list.. i get kept busy working 2 jobs.. spare time is taking care of the house/property.. and raising a 2,4 and 6 year old.. pyro and coffee are my two hobbies that i barely have any time for... did manage to complete my list and almost have whole show planned and timed for next year

Hey Matt, I understand the property thing. We have a little 25acre place and it seems to always have stuff that needs done. Finally took care of the leaves yesterday. We have a bunch of oak and maple in the yard, and my neighbor has the same. It always seems that the wind blows just enough for all my neighbors leaves make it over to my yard lol.

What type of coffee? You are much further a long than me on your order. I?m just now starting to watch videos and coming up with ideas.

MtnViewPyro
11-08-2018, 09:13 AM
Making these, and purchasing lots of fireworks. BIG SHELLS [ATTACH=CONFIG]3673[/ATTACH

Would like to see a video of those bad boys. The shells are awesome as well.

MtnViewPyro
11-08-2018, 09:14 AM
Still shooting shows, have another scheduled for November 17th.

That?s nice. If your record it, post a video. Would love to see your show.

MtnViewPyro
11-08-2018, 09:16 AM
what is this off season you speak of ?

Lol yeah seems it’s always going. End of October and November are slower for me. Weather and inability to shoot without going out of city limits during this time, I have some pyro withdrawals lol.

CMiller
11-08-2018, 11:37 AM
https://youtu.be/TBLlQraiqXM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBLlQraiqXM&feature=youtu.be

Here's a video of one of our finales

nayslayer
11-08-2018, 12:03 PM
I?m a smoker and probably don?t need any more irritants to my lungs lol, but I?ve always been interested in cigars. I?ve only had the cheap ones and never knew which ones were good or not.

You don't inhale cigars, just repels the idiots. Ha

Mattp
11-08-2018, 12:54 PM
Hey Matt, I understand the property thing. We have a little 25acre place and it seems to always have stuff that needs done.

What type of coffee? You are much further a long than me on your order. I?m just now starting to watch videos and coming up with ideas.

Haha.. i have a 1/4 of an acre plot.. lol.. and it never ends.. i could only imagine 25 acres!!!!
I like all good coffee.. of all kinds.. starting to buy them green amd roasting myself..trying different methods for brewimg too... ya. I was on such a black powder high after this last 4th that i really got a good jump on it!! Now i gotta stash away the funds to pay for it all.. lol

PYROman xl
11-09-2018, 10:38 AM
I shoot fireworks for my local football team. Football and pyro. Keeps my pyro going and I make a couple bucks doing it :cool:

Mauro
11-09-2018, 11:41 PM
That’s great! Is that College or NFL or just high school?

MtnViewPyro
11-11-2018, 05:55 PM
https://youtu.be/TBLlQraiqXM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBLlQraiqXM&feature=youtu.be

Here's a video of one of our finales

That?s a very nice finale. Always enjoy watching the big guns at work.

MtnViewPyro
11-11-2018, 05:56 PM
You don't inhale cigars, just repels the idiots. Ha

Lol I see.

MtnViewPyro
11-11-2018, 05:59 PM
Haha.. i have a 1/4 of an acre plot.. lol.. and it never ends.. i could only imagine 25 acres!!!!
I like all good coffee.. of all kinds.. starting to buy them green amd roasting myself..trying different methods for brewimg too... ya. I was on such a black powder high after this last 4th that i really got a good jump on it!! Now i gotta stash away the funds to pay for it all.. lol

Luckily, most of the 25acres are hay fields. Don?t have to do much, but there is always falling limbs and fence rows that need to be cleaned out.

I feel ya on stashing away funds. I have several places I want to try out this year and so many things to choose from.

MtnViewPyro
11-11-2018, 06:00 PM
I shoot fireworks for my local football team. Football and pyro. Keeps my pyro going and I make a couple bucks doing it :cool:

That?s a really cool idea. Our small town use to put on awesome 4th shows and used the football field for seating.

Rick_In_Tampa
11-12-2018, 01:12 PM
Right now I only play classical guitar. I got rid of all my electric ones... u can check my YT channel, before I started posting pyro videos lol. After becoming a dad I rarely have time to play or upload anything, plus work is a bit exhausting. Oh and my girl broke my cords on both my guitars but I bought some new ones but haven?t put them yet. I pretty much sing and play guitar and write songs. Got more than 200 songs, mostly in Spanish btw.

That's cool. I wish I knew how to play the guitar. I took lessons when I was a kid, but I was way too young to appreciate what I was doing. Funny story though. I used my father's guitar for the lessons. His mother bought it for him when he was a kid because he wanted to be like Elvis. I think she paid $75 for it brand new. Fast forward to the year 2005. We had a yard sale and a guy came around asking if we had any old guns or musical instruments. I told him I had an old guitar, yes. He asked what kind. I told him it was a Martin. His eyes got big as saucers. He offered me $500 for it sight unseen. Honestly, I laughed at him and told him no. It was my father's guitar and it's not for sale at any price. A few years ago a co-worker was telling me about his guitar collection. He said he was working on his appraisers license. I told him about my guitar and he asked if I would give it to him to be his first appraisal. I gave it to him. A few weeks later he gave me a written appraisal on it for $6K. Now I know why the guy's eyes got so big! I knew it must be worth a few bucks, but I wasn't expecting that.

Mauro
11-12-2018, 10:02 PM
Wow that’s a lot of money for a guitar! Yay! More $ for pyro!

Rick_In_Tampa
11-13-2018, 09:25 AM
Wow that’s a lot of money for a guitar! Yay! More $ for pyro!

lol... I wish. The guitar is not for sale. At any price. My kids will get to decide what to do with it after I keel over.