PDA

View Full Version : What to buy at Red Apple?

Steve
10-15-2018, 07:38 AM
Hi,
Planning on going to Red Apple in the near future.
I?ve heard they?ve got some really good candles that come in packs of two and some of the canister shells are pretty good.
I?ve never been there so any advice of what to buy is appreciated.
Thanks.

displayfireworks1
10-15-2018, 02:45 PM
When you do not know what to buy from any store. Go in tell them your budget and ask for recommendations. Buy the way what is your budget for your next fireworks store visit.

Steve
10-15-2018, 07:34 PM
When you do not know what to buy from any store. Go in tell them your budget and ask for recommendations. Buy the way what is your budget for your next fireworks store visit.

not exactly sure of the budget but i'm not planning on spending a lot. i just want to try a few things and they're not far from me. I heard they have some candles that really pop. maybe $100 to $200 depending on the prices.

displayfireworks1
10-15-2018, 08:52 PM
Stick with artillery shells , rockets and roman candles at that price range. Everything Red Apple sells is good, if you don't believe me ask Doug.

RalphieJ
10-15-2018, 10:43 PM
When I was in seasonal sales my pitch was "Small budget, go big." Get a $200+ all aerial assortment, one that has candles, rockets, cakes and a reloadable kit. Then decide what your preferences are..........

cptnding
10-15-2018, 11:11 PM
When I was in seasonal sales my pitch was "Small budget, go big." Get a $200+ all aerial assortment, one that has candles, rockets, cakes and a reloadable kit. Then decide what your preferences are..........

This is just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt. Whatever that means.
Most assortments I've seen absolutely suck. Seems to be an outlet for all the items that didn't sell, bundle them up into a nice looking big package, and give people a bunch of crap to keep them busy for a while. I've seen a few that looked decent. For example one that has a selection of all Brothers cakes or all Pyro King cakes ect. I've never seen one with mixed item types that didn't have cheap garbage in it.
@ RalphieJ. Not saying you are wrong. For the average consumer looking for a quick purchase to entertain, the assortments are the way to go. Lots of stuff to keep folks busy for a while and justify the cost. Win. Win.
The OP said they were looking for good items so personally I don't think an assortment would be the way to go. Asking the staff would be a better bet if you don't know anything about their products. Especially off season. You should get some good recommendations. Walk in on July 3rd and ask the same question.... good luck.

MtnViewPyro
10-16-2018, 09:01 AM
I’ve always wondered about assortments. Never had time to do the math, but would be curious to see if your actually saving much buying an assortment. It’s kinda like buying bulk stuff at Sams or Costco, a big box of stuff doesn’t always equal lower price than buying the normal size individually.

Steve
10-16-2018, 02:22 PM
Most assortments I've seen absolutely suck. Seems to be an outlet for all the items that didn't sell, bundle them up into a nice looking big package, and give people a bunch of crap to keep them busy for a while. I've seen a few that looked decent. For example one that has a selection of all Brothers cakes or all Pyro King cakes ect. I've never seen one with mixed item types that didn't have cheap garbage in it.
@ RalphieJ. Not saying you are wrong. For the average consumer looking for a quick purchase to entertain, the assortments are the way to go. Lots of stuff to keep folks busy for a while and justify the cost. Win. Win.
The OP said they were looking for good items so personally I don't think an assortment would be the way to go. Asking the staff would be a better bet if you don't know anything about their products. Especially off season. You should get some good recommendations. Walk in on July 3rd and ask the same question.... good luck.

The last time i bought assortments they were from Phantom. I bought a candle assortment and a rocket assortment. 90% of the items in the package were horrible. So bad they weren't even worth lighting and i didn't light a lot of it. As for saving money ... i doubt it. It was certainly less expensive than buying each item individually, but that doesn't matter if none of it is worth buying in the first place.

With a visit to red apple, i'm going there just to test some of their candles, so my visit shouldn't cost more than $50. but i'm assuming i'll end up buying more than candles and was hoping three was an experienced Red Apple shopper who would suggest the "must haves".

Icooclast
10-16-2018, 03:27 PM

i agree with this. you usually get crap in those. maybe 2 half-way decent 200gr. cakes, some "eh" firecrackers and one cheap 6 shell artillery shell kit. imo, those are for the parents/people who don't want/have the time to look around and find the good stuff, as well. as steve is saying the stuff in previously assembled and packaged s assortments is normally the runts of the litter, even some "throw 'em back's"

NWA_Fireworks
01-09-2019, 01:31 AM
I’ve always wondered about assortments. Never had time to do the math, but would be curious to see if your actually saving much buying an assortment. It’s kinda like buying bulk stuff at Sams or Costco, a big box of stuff doesn’t always equal lower price than buying the normal size individually.

To answer your question, there typically is not a significant savings versus buying the items in an assortment individually. It’s more about the convenience of not having to shop, so it’s an appeal to the busy parent, firework newbie, or overwhelmed firework shopper.