View Full Version : Single shot tubes vs. NOAB cakes

MontanaMike
10-10-2018, 11:39 PM
This might seem like a silly question but here goes anyway...

I've never used any of the single-shot tubes, but doing the math, a lot of them seem to be close in price "per tube" to the NOAB cakes. So my question is, are the breaks the same size, quality, etc. that you would get from a NOAB board?

I'm thinking, building my own boards would allow me to be a little creative with timing, aiming, and etc. But if the breaks aren't as good, the idea isn't as attractive. Thoughts?

Kenny East
10-11-2018, 12:05 AM
I use a board of single shots every year. I've never bought a noab... Not with the price in my opinion. Depending on what single shots you can get some are great others are so so... A mortar rack filled with the right shells can be as good or better than most noabs, unless you want a specific effect.

Some effects like those of a yingyang noab are not available in consumer shells. It mostly comes down to what you want in your show

MtnViewPyro
10-11-2018, 08:32 AM
Are you meaning consumer single shot tubes or 1.4pro single shots? The 1.4pro single shots are pretty impressive and on the cheaper side of a NOAB. I always buy both though, because like Kenny said, there are just some NOAB effects you can’t find. YingYang is one of my personal favorites. I like the single shots though because you can control the time and positioning of the shells much better than a NOAB.

Mattp
10-11-2018, 10:05 AM
Not a silly question at all.. this has been a debate on here quite a few times.. and i agree with kenny and mvp.. really depends on what effect your looking for... the price point and lie about them being 3" tubes os what turns alot of people away from them.. but there are certain noab effects that your just not gonna find in any other consumer product.. also depends if your just trying to light some cakes and have nice big breaks consecutively go off.. or highlight a couple points in a show

cptnding
10-11-2018, 12:02 PM
YingYang is one of my personal favorites....

Check out Red Riff by Brothers. Same cake. Lower price.

MontanaMike
10-11-2018, 04:46 PM
Are you meaning consumer single shot tubes or 1.4pro single shots?

We buy all our fireworks from WFBoom, so consumer tubes. Any WF-specific recommendations would be welcome. On the videos, they all tend to look sort of alike. I may just order a few random cases this year and experiment.

MtnViewPyro
10-11-2018, 06:16 PM
Check out Red Riff by Brothers. Same cake. Lower price.

Where I shopped it’s only $5 difference for a case, but they are pretty much the same effect.

MtnViewPyro
10-11-2018, 06:19 PM
We buy all our fireworks from WFBoom, so consumer tubes. Any WF-specific recommendations would be welcome. On the videos, they all tend to look sort of alike. I may just order a few random cases this year and experiment.

I think with consumer tubes, you will find some you really like and some you aren’t impressed with. If the NOAB’s are the same price, I would go with a mix of both and see what your personal preference is. If we were talking 1.4pro, I would recommend differently.

Wholesale Fireworks
10-16-2018, 12:08 PM
Montana Mike thank you. Our input would be that this subject would be up to the individual skill level. If you are just getting into the hobby a 500 gram 9 shot is perfect because it's a one and done. You light it and walk away. Once you progress and your skill set evolves, single shot tubes can be a great tool to create a custom look. As you all very well know the size of the shell on consumer items cannot exceed 1.75" so the breaks will be the same. The advantage of using single shot tubes has been mentioned previously in the thread. You can pick and choose effects as well as set the timing for each shot when creating your own. We have customers who like to create a section of there show to showcase certain colors and effects. This can be done easily by using single shot tubes.
Just wanted to thank everyone again for their great input.

Pyro Dave
10-16-2018, 01:05 PM
Montana Mike thank you. Our input would be that this subject would be up to the individual skill level. If you are just getting into the hobby a 500 gram 9 shot is perfect because it's a one and done. You light it and walk away. Once you progress and your skill set evolves, single shot tubes can be a great tool to create a custom look. As you all very well know the size of the shell on consumer items cannot exceed 1.75" so the breaks will be the same. The advantage of using single shot tubes has been mentioned previously in the thread. You can pick and choose effects as well as set the timing for each shot when creating your own. We have customers who like to create a section of there show to showcase certain colors and effects. This can be done easily by using single shot tubes.
Just wanted to thank everyone again for their great input.

I thought only reloadables were limited to 1.75?
Cakes and single shot devices were 2.25"?

PyroJoeNEPA
10-16-2018, 04:53 PM

It's not the size of the containing medium--it is the weight. 60 grams of stars in a canister looks prett sloppy--all the time. Put it in a larger ball shell and you get a more symmetrical break. Also, the overall diameter of the individual stars can be greater in a ball shell--although to maintain the same weight you would have less stars with a slightly longer burn time giving what appears to be a larger break.
Yes, the 3" & 2 1/2" NOABs are a lot of marketing strategy --60 grams = 60 grams.....regardless of what the outside diameter of the ball is----but, with NOABs and single shot tubes you can have a much more "organized" display of effects compared to fast fusing a rack of canister shells.
Ray made a very good point with his post [#11] above.

Wholesale Fireworks
10-17-2018, 01:30 PM

Dave You may be right and I will be the first to admit I am wrong but I could not find a size for shells listed in APA 87-1 for a mine and shell device. It is listed for single shell relaodable. But as we all know the those 2.25" and 3.0" are an empty shell full of rice hulls with a 1.75" shell inside.